Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:23 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had success finding a job from CraigsList? Over the past week or two I've been responding to ads posted in my area. Some of them I've been more than qualified for. Oddly enough I have not heard back from any of them. It might be nothing more than the volume of responses but I'm always weary of CL. But I was getting into desperation mode so I gave CL a shot. It's kind of frustrating that I don't hear back from any of them. I'm not always comfortable sending my personal info via CL so I may bring this to halt.

I'm curious if anyone has actually found work via CL before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:38 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
For those without experience it would be a nightmare but in some fields jobs are plentiful even though some offer the lower end of the pay scale.

NICET 3, 4 Inspectors, Resident Engineers (http://cnj.craigslist.org/egr/2229975648.html - broken link)

Quote:
S & R Engineers, PC located in Hamilton, NJ has immediate openings for NJDOT qualified Construction and NICET Inspectors. Team Leaders with NBIS and NHI qualifications are required. Bridge, Highway & Traffic Engineers are also encouraged to apply.

Benefits
Full benefits package available: medical, dental, short and long term disability, and life insurance.
Paid vacation, holidays, sick and personal time.
Industry competitive starting salary.

Compensation: $30 /hr to $55/hr
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
$45 or $50/hr would be ok but $30 is ridiculous.

Last edited by nicet4; 03-11-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-11-2011, 11:40 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
I just did in fact started my new job last week and I love it. I had sent replies to several listings and asked some pertinent questions even though I didn't get too many replies to my emails I just kept trying. I had better luck on CL than I did with the other online sources. I say go over the job listings and when you come to one that interests you just send them the very basic information and offer to send your resume. Don't give out too much info though it is pretty much a 50/50 shot but IMO it is worth the try. Good Luck

Old 03-11-2011, 01:01 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,400 times
There are some legitimate jobs to be found on CL. However there are many many scams as well. Check things like where you have to send your resume to, contact info, job titles of HR, all of these are pretty big red flags. If it sounds fishy it probably is. Do not send any info without finding out more information on them.

Don't want to scare you but you need to be very careful on CL. Lots of people preying on others due to the job market.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Also...I posted this elsewhere but it bears repeating here. One of the newest CL scams is for someone to take a real job off of the company's website and post it, only they give a different e-mail address for replies. When someone replies, they send a request for a credit check.

The best way around this one of course is to do a search and find the company's site and apply directly to it.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:57 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
I sent a resume to one ad on CL thru the CL e-mail address that was listed. There was no company name, just a description of the position. There was a job title and it was part-time and I fit both. I got three e-mails with the title of the position I appled for in the Subject area of the e-mails, but it said full-time and asked for a credit check to be done and sent to them. I deleted all three e-mails. Some companies that don't have websites or have websites but no "open jobs" area advertise on CL. Also, some companies that don't want to pay for Careerbuilder or Monster will put a job opening on CL.
What to look for in a CL ad: company name, person's name, phone number or regular e-mail address. If none of this shows up on an ad.......be VERY, VERY CAREFUL!!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:46 PM

9 posts, read 17,436 times
I got my last non federal work study job becasue I responded to an ad on CL. Just today I went to a furniture store about an ad they posted on CL (I didn't get that job due to my availability as a student).

Craigslist DOES have legit job postings but the scams are there as well ( I had my run ins with those)

-Don't give much info unless you have verified they are really hiring.
-Be cautious with companies that don't provide a name or a physical location ( ask about those in an email without giving info)
- Any position asking for name, number, address, age, and location is most likely a scam ( based on my experiences with the scams)

Old 03-11-2011, 04:35 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Also...I posted this elsewhere but it bears repeating here. One of the newest CL scams is for someone to take a real job off of the company's website and post it, only they give a different e-mail address for replies. When someone replies, they send a request for a credit check.

The best way around this one of course is to do a search and find the company's site and apply directly to it.
This is the only scam I have every come across on CL. That being said, yes I have gotten a job from Craiglist. It was fabulous until the funding ran out (it was grant funded).

Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I've never lookecd for a job on craigslist, but I have occasionally looked for gigs, in fact I have posted a couple, and I've also bought and sold stuff. Just common-sense, be careful....there are legit jobs along with all the scams.

Use a separate email address for CL and anything else that might generate spam or nastieness.
Google whatever you can on the listing - wording, email address, phone numbers. Amazing what shows up sometimes.
Check sites like ripoffreport dot com, and this site too - do a search.
Google the company name; make sure if you're volunteering information it's through their site and not a sock puppet site.
Check whois for domain address information.

And of course, never, ever pay for a "credit report" - or provide any personal information until you know 500% that the offer is legit. If the offer seems too good to be true, it most likely is. Honestly this should be a no-brainer; I don't feel sorry for people who get taken by some of the very obvious scams online. Unfortunately there are some real scum trying to take advantage of desperate people; you have to be careful and some of the scammers are very clever.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I've never lookecd for a job on craigslist, but I have occasionally looked for gigs, in fact I have posted a couple, and I've also bought and sold stuff. Just common-sense, be careful....there are legit jobs along with all the scams.

Use a separate email address for CL and anything else that might generate spam or nastieness.
Google whatever you can on the listing - wording, email address, phone numbers. Amazing what shows up sometimes.
Check sites like ripoffreport dot com, and this site too - do a search.
Google the company name; make sure if you're volunteering information it's through their site and not a sock puppet site.
Check whois for domain address information.

And of course, never, ever pay for a "credit report" - or provide any personal information until you know 500% that the offer is legit. If the offer seems too good to be true, it most likely is. Honestly this should be a no-brainer; I don't feel sorry for people who get taken by some of the very obvious scams online. Unfortunately there are some real scum trying to take advantage of desperate people; you have to be careful and some of the scammers are very clever.
Very good and thorough advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search