Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

The real issue, is that you will have to tailor your resume to each job you apply for...and keep updating it, and changing the skills, to fit whatever job you applied for...don't just send out the "cookie cutter" resume, that you send the same paper work out to every job...those will go right into the round filing drawer...with the little shredders on top. So, you have to look at each job description, and write your resume, and cover letter to make it look like you are the best person for that job. Plan on two or three hours a day, changing your resume for each job you apply for...I did this for a few months when I was looking for work...it was a killer...

Last edited by jasper12; 03-23-2011 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: edit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,451 times
A very short section on professional and civic memberships is also useful on a resume if you're going for a professional position. That tells me the sincerity of your interest in our profession. And I join others in believing that your goals are unimportant to me on your resume.

MUCH more important than your resume, though, is your COVER LETTER. When I hire I always ask potential employees to send a cover letter and also write an answer to an essay question. I want to know if you are literate, logical, really interested in the exact position for which I am hiring, and can spell (or even just use spell check). I read these before I even look at your resume. It is surprising and depressing how many people (including many with college degrees) can't write!

Here's a good model for a cover letter (PLEASE expand and re-write using your own words, I'm just explaining what the content should convey):

Paragraph 1: I was so excited to learn about this SPECIFIC position opening, which I learned about via X. It is exactly the exactly the right positition for me (because it is just the kind of work I enjoy . . . exactly the sort of position I've been training for, in a location I love, etc. etc. etc.) I am exactly the right person for this position because I have exactly the right combination of skills, experience, and personality. Let me explain.

Paragraph 2: Explain how you are the right person for the job because of your education, skills and experience (synthesize your resume into a short readable paragraph.) USE THE EXACT WORDS USED IN THE JOB DESCRIPTION OR POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT. eg - While I was with company X I MANAGED A BUDGET. or - I took a course in WEBSITE DESIGN at the U of Wherever and I especially enjoyed using my CREATIVITY to create eyecatching graphics.

Paragraph 3: I will make an easy transition into your organization because I WANT to live in your community, I get along well with others, I'm a team player, I am a hard worker, I speak basic Spanish, I understand the reality of what the job entails, etc. etc. etc. Then conclude this p with "Please feel free to contact any of my previous employeers and references."

Short ending paragraph: Thank you so much for the opportunity to apply. I am available for an interview at your convenience. If there is any other information I can supply for you, please let me know.

Sincerely, Mickey Q. Mouse.

And do the above on ONE PAGE. It's a great test of your writing ability!

I love reading cover letters. I've seen some real stinkers!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:09 PM

and don't use the word "exactly" too many times and proofreed what you send several times before you send it! (Jeez, sorry!)

Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 PM

proofread.

Never mind!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 9,215 times
coolsocks, it wasn't a matter of party or work at an internship. Rather, it was a matter of work at an internship for little to no money, or get a decent paying summer job to pay for school and other necessary expenses. I wish I could have done more to change it, but that was my situation.

jasper, I'm finding out how hard it is just to find a job. I expected it to be hard, but never this hard. Reading a lot on these forums is scary with how many people are impacted. It's a job to find a job, but I will keep working on and on.

lily, cover letters are my kryptonite, but I do my best to cater each one around the specific organization. I'll pay even more attention to them now, even. Thanks for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search