Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
I'm not crying as to why I lost my job. I'm just wondering if there could've been a better way to handle the situation. Should I have been completely honest with my boss weeks prior about my job search? Could there have been a way for me to take off more days beyond my paid vacation?

I'm not going to pass up any opportunity for a chance at a better career. I've been job searching because I did not see myself growing at my current job. I'm not going to whine here about not getting a raise/promotion, how unfair it is, or allow myself to be complacent at a job I do not love. Instead I've been striving to make it happen for myself.

It's a bit disheartening that there are people here that wish me an extended period of unemployment for taking steps towards a better and more fulfilling career.
We don't fault you for seeking better employment opportunities but it is how you handled the situation (excessive absences and one unexcused one). I don't wish you any extended periods of unemployment but bear in mind that you did not leave your job on a good note which could come back and bite you in the butt when prospective employers check references. I don't think you understand the magnitude of excessive absenteeism which may explain why other posters are so hard on you about this. I like that poster's tip about not taking full days off when interviewing and staying late to catch up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Yea I'm going to be getting what's coming...a better higher paying career. It was a risky decision but the benefits for me outweighed the consequences. I lost my job that I was planning to leave anyways. I don't have a mortgage, no kids, and no debt. If I do get that job then it was worth the risk. If I dont I'm sure I soon will because I've received alot of response from my resume.

I can't tell a potential employer "well do you think you can interview me next month so I can accumulate more PTO?" Especially right now with the economy and tons of people gunning for the same positions employers are not going to wait around for you.

You don't listen to people's advice.

Yes you can say to a potential employer I'm only able to interview at certain times due to my current position. You can ask and see if as Hopes said they will meet you early in the morning or after hours.

It actually shows that you're a conscientious worker. That is an admirable trait to many employers.

If they're not willing to do that then get the first interview slot they have in the morning, then go into work after that and stay late.

And why would you even think it was OK to discuss with your current boss about changing jobs unless it involved another position within your company?

You sound very young. Hopefully you still live at home with your parents and rent isn't an issue.

No one has offered you another job yet, and you created a big problem by getting yourself fired.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM

42 posts, read 86,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Yes you can say to a potential employer I'm only able to interview at certain times due to my current position. You can ask and see if as Hopes said they will meet you early in the morning or after hours.

It actually shows that you're a conscientious worker. That is an admirable trait to many employers.

If they're not willing to do that then get the first interview slot they have in the morning, then go into work after that and stay late.
But the OP said earlier, he/she is looking for work outside of their area. 3 hours away in DC or across country in California. You keep hearing about relocating for the right opportunity or if you want to move to a certain area, secure a job first before quitting your job and moving. I think the OP raises valid points on how does someone achieve this successfully when still employed.

I agree that if you are interviewing for a job across town, try to set it up first thing in the morning or close to the end of the day to minimize time off but that doesn't work if the job is far away. I'm in a similar situation where I want to move to the west coast or north west. I'm lucky that I can take time off when needed but I'm still struggling with the other issues of trying to secure work on the other side of the country first before moving. I've seen several posts on CD about it and it's not easy.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:55 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Perhaps asking if phone interviews were acceptable could have been an option.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:07 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

And why would you even think it was OK to discuss with your current boss about changing jobs unless it involved another position within your company?

You sound very young. Hopefully you still live at home with your parents and rent isn't an issue.

No one has offered you another job yet, and you created a big problem by getting yourself fired.
I dont listen to peoples advice? You dont read what I posted

Like I said I am seeking for jobs in major cities hours away. DC the closest city is 3 hours away. I highly doubt an employer would interview me at 9pm or on a Saturday. All the interviews I had, have interviewed me on the phone prior to the face to face interview. If I was searching for work in my immediate area this would not be an issue at all because I can just interview on my lunch break.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:

Like I said I am seeking for jobs in major cities hours away. DC the closest city is 3 hours away. I highly doubt an employer would interview me at 9pm or on a Saturday. All the interviews I had, have interviewed me on the phone prior to the face to face interview. If I was searching for work in my immediate area this would not be an issue at all because I can just interview on my lunch break.
Although this is a bit off-topic, have you factored in the fact that those positions that offer a 40% higher salary may be located in areas with higher costs of living? The 40% may not be as lucrative as you may be anticipating so if you haven't already researched the cost of living, I would do this before rushing to move to California or DC ...

Old 03-25-2011, 02:32 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,997 times
Yes I am aware of the higher cost of living in major cities. Despite that there are just more opportunities in my field of Online Marketing in DC and SF. DC is my first choice because it is closer to home. SF is considerably more expensive but there are more are more opportunities because of Silicon Valley.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:

I read what you posted. You said you took a week off to fly out for a few interviews. So that must have been vacation time? That is perfectly alright.

But you didn't go very far on the day you decided not to just show up for work did you?

The bottom line is you just didn't show for work and didn't notify anyone.

You can't do that. I know in CA(because it happened to someone where I worked) there is a job abandonment law. You don't show up for work and don't call that is grounds for termination and you're ineligible for unemployment.

There is also the option of video/web conferencing. I did it years ago from LA for a job in Seattle.

It saves everybody time and expense.

It doesn't hurt to ask about some alternatives.

Many Kinkos have video conference services.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,177 times
You couldn't do something like Skype your interviews? Basically everyone I know who has recently gotten an out-of-town job has Skyped, at least for the first interview. Businesses are generally fairly flexible if they like you well enough to interview you a second time. Most places are fairly flexible with that in general-- in fact I think it is odd that an out of town place business wouldn't be open to interviewing you some other way, at least for a first interview. So I suppose my question is: what did you do to find other ways to interview? If it just didn't work that way, tough break I suppose. If you simply offered to show up, that would be something you could have done better. This day in age, it seems very odd to me that you would have needed to show up for so many out-of-town positions. That certainly hasn't been the experience of basically anyone I know.

To answer your original question, I don't think it would have been better for your to tell your boss you were looking for other work. Technically, it would depend on your particular boss, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would be okay with you missing extra days of work so you can find another job. The result of telling them would probably mean they looked harder at you while you were there-- no employer is happy with an employee who they think is looking for work at work. I doubt even a forgiving boss would continue to be lenient with you missing extra days to job hunt. Even missing one day unexcused it a fairly common reason to terminate someone. I don't think knowing more about the situation would have mattered in this case.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:39 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
No it's not. If I were hiring, I would ask if this person got fired or quit (in a nicer way of course). I would then verify it through a quick call to your old boss, and you would not be working for me.

And let's be clear, you weren't laid off, you didn't show up, and got what you deserved, and you deserve to be unemployed for a long time, or at least until all these people who are desperate for work find it.

What you did was wrong, you won't get unemployment. Good luck with your next two years.

So..it's easier to get a job if you're still working but yet interviewing with another company while working is taboo if you have to take time off for an interview. Please explain the rules of interviewing while still employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search