U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 AM

17,032 posts, read 25,353,572 times

Advertisements

Failed drug test could stop flow of benefits | L.M. Sixel: Working | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I actually think this is a good idea, maybe monthly or quarterly. I knew many manufacturing positions back in 2007/8 that were having a hard time finding people because they couldn't pass a drug test.

I don't believe in the 'you can't withhold benefits from people under hardship' baloney. If you're out of work you shouldn't be sitting around doing drugs either, if money is that tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 AM

19,482 posts, read 25,515,786 times
I work in one of the few states where employees actually pay into UI...and also one of the few states where marijuana is legal. Doubt it would fly there.

And it's been tried in several states and always found to be unConstitutional.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,384,173 times
Pee for enjoyment - not for employment.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:56 PM

398 posts, read 1,161,183 times
People who can't pass drug tests for employment would not have been hired in the first place and if you get fired related to drug or alcohol use or simply misconduct, you aren't eligibile for unemployment benefits.

On the other hand, PDS charges $48.00 per test... x estimated: 12.5 million people = $600 million. Wanna do this every month?

Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 PM

3,920 posts, read 8,438,062 times
I don't think it is a good idea, at least not the way the proposal is written. Marijuana is detected in drug tests for 30 days. Everything else can only be detected for 3-4 days. Because they are testing right away, it is going to disproportionately effect those using marijuana, which has little to no effect on employee productivity. Especially compared with crackheads, meth and heroin addicts, etc who employers rightfully would not want to hire.

Seems like it would unfairly screw over the regular guy who is a good employee, smokes weed after work, and gets laid off.

If they changed the program to where after 2 months, if you are still collecting, you need to take a drug test, I could get behind it. But not the way it is currently written.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 PM

802 posts, read 862,322 times
AND alot of the what I'll label as 'bad' drugs exit the system rather quickly and largely bypass drug tests like this. Good ol' pot is about the only drug that really stays in you system for any length of time.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:36 PM

12,438 posts, read 9,666,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I don't think it is a good idea, at least not the way the proposal is written. Marijuana is detected in drug tests for 30 days. Everything else can only be detected for 3-4 days. Because they are testing right away, it is going to disproportionately effect those using marijuana, which has little to no effect on employee productivity. Especially compared with crackheads, meth and heroin addicts, etc who employers rightfully would not want to hire.

Seems like it would unfairly screw over the regular guy who is a good employee, smokes weed after work, and gets laid off.

If they changed the program to where after 2 months, if you are still collecting, you need to take a drug test, I could get behind it. But not the way it is currently written.
I don't want to be paying my taxes to support some slacker's weed habit.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 AM

43,012 posts, read 86,149,687 times
It's a complete waste of tax dollars to test everyone to catch a small percentage.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:21 AM

14,621 posts, read 12,381,482 times
Drug testing is a racket perpetuated by the makers of drug tests.

You might be surprised how many high-value workers, from teachers to CEOs, smoke pot recreationally or medicinally. It has been going on since the dawn of man, so ask yourself, why has it become a big issue now? Who benefits?

Follow the money.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM

3,377 posts, read 5,383,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I don't want to be paying my taxes to support some slacker's weed habit.
Yeah it's real easy to sit around and get stoned all the time on $250 per week. Let's see after you pay bills, gas from driving to school and job interviews (if you can manage to land one), yeah there's just tons of money left over for a "weed habit." Also, knowing that I might have to take a pre-employment drug test at my new job would be enough to keep my junkie side in check while I'm living large off your ha ha ha tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or