Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

MSchemist - you seem like a very angry person, and someone who would cut the next guy down in a heartbeat to get a job. Even if that gets you a job, do you really think anyone would promote someone who is that kind of a**hole?
Uh Yes those are exactly the type of people who get promoted in corporate America, lying, cheating, back stabbing, Macbeth's who would knife Mother Theresa for a promotion.

Seriously though I would never cut down [figuratively before someone calls me a friggin sociopath again] someone unless I really thought they deserved it. I've seen how corporations, hiring officials, executives, and managers have behaved lately and don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them. Cheat them because they won't hesitate to cheat you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:41 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,517,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Uh Yes those are exactly the type of people who get promoted in corporate America, lying, cheating, back stabbing, Macbeth's who would knife Mother Theresa for a promotion.

Seriously though I would never cut down [figuratively before someone calls me a friggin sociopath again] someone unless I really thought they deserved it. I've seen how corporations, hiring officials, executives, and managers have behaved lately and don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them. Cheat them because they won't hesitate to cheat you.

You bet! I have zero problem with "enhancing" a resume in order to get a job, or even outright lying. Companies and bosses lie all the time to enhance their bottom line, so I see no reason why job-seekers shouldn't either.

In this dog-eat-dog world of out-of-control capitalism, it doesn't pay to be honest. It really doesn't.

Best of luck to you, OP.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:49 AM

247 posts, read 538,052 times
Lying is becoming the American way, everyone(90%)of people have lied in ome way to get where they are.Honesty and integrity are flying out the door.It's sad because the "have's" lie and manipulate people more than the "have nots".It's a big sick game full of cronism and deceit.Although it is good to think optimistically,you should not lie to yourself.God bless you.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I am NOT saying that lieing on a resume is right, but as I've stated before in this Forum......."a person has to do what they have to do" to get a job today! Some folks can have the perfect resume, while others don't!
So since I've been busting my hump to build my resume, why is this my problem? I spend plenty of evenings doing research on what skills I can add to my portfolio while MOST people go home and drink, watch hours of stupid reality television, waste time on other senseless things that won't be useful in their careers. Career progression demands a certain level of sacrifice (of free time, or what have you), and if you aren't willing to do that while others are, then you get what you deserve. And now someone like me, with integrity, is going to be shorted because someone like you or MSChemist is going to have some over-inflated resume. Tell me what part of that is fair?

I hope that every single person who is lying on their resume gets caught and gets fired. That is the only suitable punishment for liars of this caliber.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:

Have you ever worked in corporate america? Here is something that might surprise you: only the .01% of people who are dishonest in corporate america make the news headlines. The vast majority of people are hardworking, honest people. The people who make it are the ones who put in 16 hour days until they are 35 years old to build the skills needed to succeed.

People like you are simply scum who justify bad behavior by claiming everyone does it. You know the people you are talking about who lie and cheat their way through life? The people who give companies a bad name? YOU are those people. You are the awful co-worker that people pray doesn't get caught and end up as a news story about how dishonest corporate america is.

Try actually putting extra work into building your skills instead of lying and cheating your way though life.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If by functional you mean fictional...
Good one! Nothing like an endorsement by good ol' VAW to clue somebody in they're doing the wrong thing!

MSChemist, sounds like you rattled off a lot of your weaknesses there, unsolicited. But if they ask you for your greatest one, why list them all? In your place, I would pick 'arrogance' of all those, seems the least damaging.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Have you ever worked in corporate america? Here is something that might surprise you: only the .01% of people who are dishonest in corporate america make the news headlines. The vast majority of people are hardworking, honest people. The people who make it are the ones who put in 16 hour days until they are 35 years old to build the skills needed to succeed.

People like you are simply scum who justify bad behavior by claiming everyone does it. You know the people you are talking about who lie and cheat their way through life? The people who give companies a bad name? YOU are those people. You are the awful co-worker that people pray doesn't get caught and end up as a news story about how dishonest corporate america is.

Try actually putting extra work into building your skills instead of lying and cheating your way though life.
Spot on! I never buy that 'everybody's doing it' crap. Schoolyard stuff.

Last edited by Nick99; 04-07-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 09:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Really do you go to an interview and be completely honest or do you tell them what they want to hear.

What is your greatest weakness?
Ho Humm gee I have so many let's see I'm arrogant, lazy, I have no loyalty to the company, talk about inappropriate subjects at work, act busy when the boss is looking but slack off when he isn't, I bully my subordinates, have anger management issues...
MSchemist - as an FYI...I conduct interviews for my department when we do new hires, and any time I ask for weaknesses and the candidate either can't think of any or gives me that crap about 'their greatest strength is also their greatest weakness' I immediately move that resume back to the bottom of the list. When hiring, I want to know I can trust and rely on the person I am interviewing, and when someone lies on a question such as that it is VERY easy to spot. I appreciate the people who actually list real weaknesses because it shows they are humble enough to admit their faults and self-aware enough to try and work through them. I will take a person I think I can trust and rely on over the person who gives the absolute best canned answers according to the job qualifications any day.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:22 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Because companies are just sooo honest and honorable, huh, hnsq? Like the banks foreclosing on active duty soldier's homes.(<---They aren't supposed to do that. There are policies and laws against it.) And that's just recently.

Let's not forget BP. And who do you think got promoted? The guy who skimped on the quality of the materials so the shareholders got more money. A lot of the stuff you say is in direct contradiction to what is going on. Let's not forget those bailouts and how that money was used.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Spot on! I never buy that 'everyboyd's doing it' crap. Schoolyard stuff.

Your schoolyard might be covered in an oil spill already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search