Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:49 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,336,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Chemist, by your handle, you are either 30-31 years old, or 80 years old. Either way, you should be avoiding the trappings of every random teeny-bopper expression du jour.

Correct example: 'Nick99 is a spectacular failure. He fails in everything he attempts, be it reading comprehension or sarcasm-recognition.'

Shame that a 12-year-old like me has to teach you these things.
=failure to realize that this is an internet forum and that people on break at work do not have time to write a properly formatted 5 paragraph essay with thesis statement and conclusion in reply to every obnoxious post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,158,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Because companies are just sooo honest and honorable, huh, hnsq? Like the banks foreclosing on active duty soldier's homes.(<---They aren't supposed to do that. There are policies and laws against it.) And that's just recently.

Let's not forget BP. And who do you think got promoted? The guy who skimped on the quality of the materials so the shareholders got more money. A lot of the stuff you say is in direct contradiction to what is going on. Let's not forget those bailouts and how that money was used.
And do you realize that only the .01% that are awful companies make the news? No one writes a story about a hardworking guy who runs a successful business. That doesn't get ratings and doesn't sell papers.

So please show me some statistics rather than relying on sensationalist hype designed to do nothing more than promote the profits of the media.

Do you ever think and observe for yourself, or do you just regurgitate what you hear and see on the nightly news?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:40 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,542,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And do you realize that only the .01% that are awful companies make the news? No one writes a story about a hardworking guy who runs a successful business. That doesn't get ratings and doesn't sell papers.

So please show me some statistics rather than relying on sensationalist hype designed to do nothing more than promote the profits of the media.

Do you ever think and observe for yourself, or do you just regurgitate what you hear and see on the nightly news?
You realize you could blog about a hard working guy who runs a successful business. Also, if you ever read the business section, you can see this all the time with small businesses. Then again, why can't you talk about your own business as being honest?

In what frame or reference would you need "statistics"?

I haven't had the luxury of watching TV in years, but I know there was an oil spill caused by BP. You could observe or smell the thing yourself if you lived near the southern coast. That is like saying, "only things like earthquakes and hurricanes get in the spotlight, not the miraculous births of precious bundles of joy".

If you cause an oil spill that big, people don't need the news to know you messed up.

.01%, sure, but as far as the secretaries of state are concerned, you don't need much to crate a company or business. Just pay into the business license($1,000). And far as which ones last long, bring in the most revenue, lobby the most, or have the most responsibility, I think BP would be in the spotlight more than the hair salon, restaurant, or pizza shop down the street.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 PM

Another question:

If these background checks are so common, why didn't Sandra Boss get one done on "Clarke Rockefeller" before she married him? And how is she still working when her consulting company was a consultant for Enron and other companies who projected false values?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 PM

536 posts, read 1,424,320 times
Such a big oil spill, but I bet you still need the news to let you know that the accident killed 11 workers. Oh wait, they don't report on that.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:23 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,390,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If they are hiring an exec or a 6 figure employee then yea they will pull out the stops (sometimes). For the average employee they pay a company a small amount to check credit, criminal records, and references. It is cost prohibitive to do that kind of security clearance equivalent background checking on every employee.
Fine. If you happen to ever get a job interview at a large company, take your chances and submit a fraudulent resume. What do I care? I have nothing to win by trying to convince you otherwise since I don't have to live the consequences of your decisions. I'll stick to my approach of continually investing in myself in order to produce a competitive resume that truly represents my value, which has paid off very well for me in my career so far. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Such a big oil spill, but I bet you still need the news to let you know that the accident killed 11 workers. Oh wait, they don't report on that.
I see MsChemist was right about you.

I already said, I didn't watch the news about the oil spill. It was all over the coast.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:39 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,349,077 times
My CV is a quite a bit detailed with everything I've ever looked at on there. Got me a job even; sold meself well.

But then; fired three weeks later for being incompetant, probably due to a lack of experience with said stuff on CV, and they weren't willing to offer any training or whatever.

I will drive past this weekend and lob fresh manure piles from the nearby farms at their windows, with pleasure. Pfft, well it was some boring sitting in an office being-less-productive-than-whizzing-off-all-day tedium anyway. Who needs that wasting a third of their lives.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,158,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
You realize you could blog about a hard working guy who runs a successful business. Also, if you ever read the business section, you can see this all the time with small businesses. Then again, why can't you talk about your own business as being honest?
I am not exactly sure what you are getting at with this. I work directly with executives for a fortune 500 company, and I have seen nothing but honesty. We have actually dropped other fortune 500 companies as customers (at a significant loss) due to them being dishonest. We are not uncommon in the corporate world.

Quote:
In what frame or reference would you need "statistics"?
Please show me where you are getting this information that the majority of businesses are dishonest and cheats. That isn't a difficult thing to understand.

Quote:
I haven't had the luxury of watching TV in years, but I know there was an oil spill caused by BP. You could observe or smell the thing yourself if you lived near the southern coast. That is like saying, "only things like earthquakes and hurricanes get in the spotlight, not the miraculous births of precious bundles of joy".

If you cause an oil spill that big, people don't need the news to know you messed up.
ok, so agian - let's stop focusing on the select few terrible companies and look at corporate america as a whole, ok champ?

Quote:
.01%, sure, but as far as the secretaries of state are concerned, you don't need much to crate a company or business. Just pay into the business license($1,000). And far as which ones last long, bring in the most revenue, lobby the most, or have the most responsibility, I think BP would be in the spotlight more than the hair salon, restaurant, or pizza shop down the street.

Tell me - can you give me an example other than BP? You DO realize that I said you are taking the highly publicized scumbags and assuming all of corporate america is the same way, don't you? One company acting poorly does not justify demoralizing the tens of thousands who operate honestly per that one dishonest company.

Since you are so good at giving an example from a single company, what do you think about Ed Breen from Tyco? You know, the guy who took over a corrupt corporation and immediately fired 290 of the company's top 300 executives. But you want to ignore the hundreds of thousands of business people who use Ed Breen as a role model, don't you? Because if you actually paid attention to the Ed Breen's of the world, you wouldn't have a justification for being dishonest towards your company any more.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I am not exactly sure what you are getting at with this. I work directly with executives for a fortune 500 company, and I have seen nothing but honesty. We have actually dropped other fortune 500 companies as customers (at a significant loss) due to them being dishonest. We are not uncommon in the corporate world.

Please show me where you are getting this information that the majority of businesses are dishonest and cheats. That isn't a difficult thing to understand.
I will when you show me when I said, "the majority of businesses are dishonest and cheats".

Quote:
ok, so agian - let's stop focusing on the select few terrible companies and look at corporate america as a whole, ok champ?

Tell me - can you give me an example other than BP? You DO realize that I said you are taking the highly publicized scumbags and assuming all of corporate america is the same way, don't you? One company acting poorly does not justify demoralizing the tens of thousands who operate honestly per that one dishonest company.

Since you are so good at giving an example from a single company, what do you think about Ed Breen from Tyco? You know, the guy who took over a corrupt corporation and immediately fired 290 of the company's top 300 executives. But you want to ignore the hundreds of thousands of business people who use Ed Breen as a role model, don't you? Because if you actually paid attention to the Ed Breen's of the world, you wouldn't have a justification for being dishonest towards your company any more.
I have already given other examples other than BP. Please re-read.

I also cited Sandra Boss's Clark Rockefeller and her former company, McKinsey.

Quote:
you wouldn't have a justification for being dishonest towards your company any more
When or how am I dishonest towards my company?

I see you are reading what you want. I'm not saying Everyone from Chick-fila to Kinkos is corrupt, but please don't act like a lot of companies are operating on a moral high ground as far as fixing numbers just for the shareholders is concerned.

Companies are here to make money, I think charles said that. Primary goal.

To assume they are fair and moral in all practices is folly.

Let's take the City of Atlanta and watershed management for example. They overcharge for water. They have faulty meters. Rather than fix the problem, even when Watershed Management(separate company) overcharges the City of Atlanta, City of Atlanta wanting to save face simply increases their water budget with taxpayer money. Meanwhile, I can have a property where they refuse to shut the water off, even if the basement is flooding. Why? Apparently the account is in the name of someone who has not lived there in years, but they figure they can bill that person. Good luck. They also just about gave out free water on two other circumstances when the water was not in anyone's name. Equitable? Nope. On the radio, a single person living alone, generated a $3,000 water bill with no leaks, among other complaints.

Then there are the companies who took bailouts, gave out bonuses to their executives, and failed.

I'll name more as they come out. I estimate something else happening in 3 weeks.

Also, hnsq, why not name some honest companies? You seem so intent on disproving a claim using a hypothesis I never put forth, yet you don't get the idea behind making a blog about hardworking, honest businesses. I wonder why . . . .

Why not just name more positive companies making headlines?

I'll give you some:
Microsoft
Google
SAS
Wegman's food markets
Whole Foods Market
Dreamworks
Build-a-bear Workshop
Camden Public Trust
Zappos.com
Chick-Fila
Choate Construction

Yes, there are positive, honest companies. I know people who are related to the founders. Ok, great.

It still does not mean there are companies out there who are not amoral. Do you know why they get the "spotlight"?

Because when they mess up, you can see it, smell it, it affects you. Well, maybe not you because you may live in an apartment somewhere.

But, the BP oil spill was easy because it affected millions of lives.

BoA foreclosing on active duty soldier's homes, when it's not supposed to, makes the headlines because it received a bail out, yet it still operates on an amoral level. BoA also has other smaller turds that have hit the blogs.

When you look on the list above I made, when they mess up or if they mess up or are taken over by a genuinely Evil person, who will it affect? Will build-a-bear build evil bears? Will Microsoft pre install keyloggers on Dell notebooks? Will dreamworks create amovie about a bald guy trying to steal the moon? Will Choate construction build an evil hideout?

Hmm, maybe.

But, Who will care?

Let someone skimp on costs.

Oil spill.

Who does it affect?

A lot of people.

And do you know why I'd be outraged?

Because I can get cited by code enforcement for not cutting grass sooner than every 2 weeks, yet the lot next to me can have grass at least 5 feet high for a whole year, another lot near another property can look like the beginning of a landfill, and the same Code Enforcement department can ignore a whole street of houses that have holes in them like the kid from the Movie 'Jumper' tied to 'jump the house'. (Yes, the houses made the news and I watched it on my mom's TV.) So, the whole time I'm taken to court while they tell me that my extra 2 inches of grass affects the whole neighborhood, they can have much worse properties in their jurisdiction, which they ignore. That is corruption. And the year before, a parking deck in Atlanta collapsed. Where was code enforcement then?

Sure, people can claim government is checking, but they can be corrupt as well. Or am I just in a corrupt city?

Maybe it's me, but it sure is fishy when we don't have enough money to invest in our citizens(or state government) and problems over a budget, yet we can create a costly no fly zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search