Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

I think that perhaps the reason that people who are married "statistically" receive higher pay is because they tend to be older and more established in their careers than younger people just starting out. Of course people get divorced and things like that but I don't know of anyone who's ever gotten a pay reduction for becoming single.

People have put their own subjective slants here on the whole what car to drive to the interview thing. To some people a Mercedes screams ostentation, irresponsibility, and living beyond one's "means". To others it portrays someone who has a certain production/earning potential/ambition and I'm not sure it's something that can be second guessed in anything more than a very general way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post

I've worked alongside a trust fund kid. He submitted expense reports only because management hassled him to. Never cashed the reimbursement checks. The guy did excellent work, and got paid well. Deserved every bit of it IMO. It would be unfair to pay him less just because he was working for the experience, and not to pay living expenses.
Funny, I was just going to post something very similar. My business is seasonal and we hire several college students every year. Some of the best of have been trust fund kids.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:18 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that perhaps the reason that people who are married "statistically" receive higher pay is because they tend to be older and more established in their careers than younger people just starting out. Of course people get divorced and things like that but I don't know of anyone who's ever gotten a pay reduction for becoming single.

People have put their own subjective slants here on the whole what car to drive to the interview thing. To some people a Mercedes screams ostentation, irresponsibility, and living beyond one's "means". To others it portrays someone who has a certain production/earning potential/ambition and I'm not sure it's something that can be second guessed in anything more than a very general way.
Yeah like buying one of the safest most respected cars in the world is so "irresponsible".

Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
So? Have you had your interview? I am just curious about what you ended up driving.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
After much deliberation the OP rented a VESPA.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Can I laugh at this? It means absolutely nothing about being married, being older means anything. I can't even get a decent job interview-doesn't matter about any of those points. Let's face it-I'll be married 24 years this year. Longer than a lot of people. But it means nothing in the work force. Because here at 45 years old-they consider me entry level.

This whole car thing is IMHO a ridiculous side step for hiring managers again not hire people who are qualified just based upon their cars.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Can I laugh at this? It means absolutely nothing about being married, being older means anything. I can't even get a decent job interview-doesn't matter about any of those points. Let's face it-I'll be married 24 years this year. Longer than a lot of people. But it means nothing in the work force. Because here at 45 years old-they consider me entry level.

This whole car thing is IMHO a ridiculous side step for hiring managers again not hire people who are qualified just based upon their cars.
I don't care if you laugh at it, and I'm sorry that you've been going through such tough times. Hopefully things turn around for you soon.

But...I was responding to someone who stated that statistically, married people earn more than single people. I have neither know nor care if that's the truth (I suppose I could look it up); my reply was that if it is the truth, it's probably because married people do tend to be older and more established in their careers than people right out of school. Of course there are exceptions to that and it sounds as if you're one of them. I don't fit the stats myself either, but in a different way than you do.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM

243 posts, read 1,630,024 times
Lol I swear I saw this same thread on CPANET.com early lol

Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post

I had to also say to the person that left me a comment about being a school bus driver and now being entry level. You say that you need to have no education or skills. Tells me you know very little about what the job entails and what skills are transferable and why Joe Q Public isn't breaking down doors to drive a bus-most can't handle it. I do have a associate's degree-but these days that piece of paper might as well be a paper towel for all it's worth. I did have experience in what I am doing-I'd worked summers for a physical therapy office doing reception, billing, mailings, etc. It's just a way for employers to be cheap and not pay people what they are worth.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's irrelevant because there is a legitimate concern of employers' assumptions.

I dated a coworker who owned a bmw convertable sports car. (He wasn't living in his parent's basement. HIs parents lived in a different city.) He asked me to not tell anyone he owned the car. He purposely drove a less expensive car to work because he was concerned that management wouldn't feel he deserved a higher raise if they knew he could afford that car.

I've subsequenly known many people who had similar concerns throughout the years.

For example, I have a girlfriend who was outright advised to not wear her daily jewlery to an interview. Could you imagine having to leave your engagement ring at home for an interview? Sure, it was HUGE 10 carot diamond BUT it was HER ENGAGEMENT ring. She should be able to wear her engagement ring, earrings and watch without people being prejudice about her wealth at an interview. She deserves to be paid the same as someone without wealth for performing the same job.

Gee they sound a lot like those materialistic California people you were talking about...LOL.

Sorry Hopes, I think most of your posts are spot on but you were out of line when you grouped everyone together that lives in the most populated state as materialistic.

As someone who lived in CA for 20 plus years and I can tell that is not true. There are plenty of people who drive economy cars and live in modest homes.

It was always amusing to have friends or family come visit CA. Like you they had an image in their mind from TV and movies and then saw that while the scenery was prettier from where they came from, people got up and went to work in the morning.

Not running into movie stars every five minutes and everyone driving around in a Rolls Royce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search