Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm considering whether to use the resume writing service on TheLadders to help revitalize my job search.

Anyone out there who has actually used them? If so, what are your thoughts on them? [And please, direct information only -- no hearsay.]

Regards,

-- Nigghteyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I sent you a private message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:56 PM

Interesting -- either no one on this board has used TheLadders resume service, or no one here is willing to share their personal experiences.

I posted the same question on other, non-City-Data, boards. So far I have gotten very little actual first-person information, just opinions (e.g. "they're no good") or hearsay (e.g. "my neighbor's cousin said...")

Thanks folks.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:22 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Interesting -- either no one on this board has used TheLadders resume service, or no one here is willing to share their personal experiences.

I posted the same question on other, non-City-Data, boards. So far I have gotten very little actual first-person information, just opinions (e.g. "they're no good") or hearsay (e.g. "my neighbor's cousin said...")

Thanks folks.
A) Doesn't that service cost money?
B) Isn't The Ladders a job board for people who make over 6 figures?

Maybe this is your problem? Most people here DO NOT make 6 figures and most people here DO NOT use job boards that cost money. That's just my guess.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I am with Z#N1TH ON3. I looked into the Ladders and one of the first questions that they asked was if I make over $100,000 a year. I don't, although I do OK. Still what I make is not 6 figures. I was booted out. I guess I could tell a lie about what I make.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
A) Doesn't that service cost money?
Both the "general" service and the resume-writing service cost money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
B) Isn't The Ladders a job board for people who make over 6 figures?
Six figures or more, yes.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
I've used TheLadders for placing people with great success. I think the job listings are excellent and the folks there do work with you in landing the job. At the end of the day, they put you in touch with the right people so you can network your way in.

I honestly think all the free job listing sites are garbage compared to regular pay recruitment companies and pay job sites in general.

I haven't used their resume writing service though... because, honestly, I think resumes are garbage pieces of embellishment.

My advice, is to rely on your networking skills and not your resume to get jobs.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 PM

18 posts, read 155,937 times
^^ The "$100,000 club" ... LOL... Anyone in THAT exclusive club is surely never going to need a site like this! Or any other 'free' site for that matter!

Anyways, I always hear people saying to "network, network, network." But, what if you have some very good reasons not to have any 'social networking' (eg - LinkedIn, myspace, faceboook, twitter, etc...) accounts?

Also - what if you are making a MAJOR career change, (old vs. new career have absolutely NOTHING in common) and you have zero contacts in the new career - outside of a few former classmates you recently graduated with?

In this situation, how is someone supposed to 'network' to find work?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el dude View Post
^^ The "$100,000 club" ... LOL... Anyone in THAT exclusive club is surely never going to need a site like this! Or any other 'free' site for that matter!
I don't get what you mean. $100k isn't high anymore.

Quote:

Anyways, I always hear people saying to "network, network, network." But, what if you have some very good reasons not to have any 'social networking' (eg - LinkedIn, myspace, faceboook, twitter, etc...) accounts?
Then you don't have social networking sites. What does that have to do with networking?

Quote:

Also - what if you are making a MAJOR career change, (old vs. new career have absolutely NOTHING in common) and you have zero contacts in the new career - outside of a few former classmates you recently graduated with?

In this situation, how is someone supposed to 'network' to find work?
Then you go for entry level since that's where you belong at the beginning of a career change. Once your in, you can network. But usually someone you know knows someone. I don't see why you'd make things difficult for yourself by entering a field where you have no way in.
Quote:

Old 04-22-2011, 01:46 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Where I work the exclusive club is people making $200,000 or more. I have lunch with people in the $100,000 club. If everything goes well I will be joining that "exclusive" club next month. (The over $100,000 club, not the over $200,000 club. Here is hoping anyway. Well not exactly hoping, but not every thing is a sure thing. What I am saying is we have an opening and it looks like I will be the one getting the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search