Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 AM

91 posts, read 674,039 times

Advertisements

Since I have no job experience, I'm doing a functional resume. I have come across numerous different styles and templates for this type of resume. Is there a particular style or template that's best? I have doubts about some of the ones I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM

649 posts, read 1,132,526 times
If you have really strong education, or are currently attending a top flight school, maybe put that at the top, THEN qualifications. Otherwise put skills on top. Mine is divided into 5 sections, sales skills, computer programs, etc. It varies a lot, depending on your skills, type of industry,etc. there is no cookie cutter answer

Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM

91 posts, read 674,039 times
Some of them are confusing because they say to have a profile section. I don't know if I should have this or if I can put that information somewhere else. Some have a qualifications, skills, and experience sections. Should I have all three of those sections?

Here's the sections I have and in the order I have them:
Objective
Qualifications
Skills
Relevant Experience
Employment Experience (for this I just have odd jobs such as babysitting as I've never had a real job)
Education

Should I include all those sections? Or should I remove some?

I'm also not sure if things like being responsible, hardworking, and organized would go in the skills section or qualifications section.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 AM

86 posts, read 295,148 times
There's no particular resume format that best sells YOU. Just dont use the standard MS Word resume format, I worked in HR and EVERYBODY used that format.

Since you have no experience list your education and any classes you've taken that can apply to a job you're applying to. Also list skills, computer programs you have knowledge in, and any school clubs you're part of. If you're an honor student list any accomplishments and your GPA.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 AM

649 posts, read 1,132,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchriscruz View Post
There's no particular resume format that best sells YOU. Just dont use the standard MS Word resume format, I worked in HR and EVERYBODY used that format.

Since you have no experience list your education and any classes you've taken that can apply to a job you're applying to. Also list skills, computer programs you have knowledge in, and any school clubs you're part of. If you're an honor student list any accomplishments and your GPA.
yep

Old 04-15-2011, 03:50 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
I like to keep it simple.

Objective
Education
Experience
Computer Skills.

That's all you really need. Profile is stupid you can take that off. Qualifications are your experience and skills. I like to think instead of just skills you should put industry specific skills such as "computer skills" or "design skills" If you don't have work experience you could put volunteer experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search