U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 PM
1,737 posts, read 6,292,408 times
Reputation: 891


A few months ago, when my company announced further layoffs, I submitted my resume to several places. After several dead ends, lo and behold, one of them actually paid off and I was given an offer today. Of course now my current company has stabilized and it appears no more layoffs are imminent

It always helps me to write things out when making a big decision.

Current Job
Industry -- Defense contracting. 90% reliant on Federal government contracts.

Outlook -- Company has shrunk 40% from 5,000 to 3,000 in the last two years. Business has turned around in the last 3 months with some new business obtained.

Work Conditions -- I get along great with all my immediate co-workers and management. I do not have as good of an opinion on upper management. They seem more worried about their bonuses than anything else. There is some not-so-subtle pressure to work a fair amount of overtime, which has increased since the layoffs. It is also highly regulated, with government auditors imposing a multitude of regulations. Sort a dull, cubicle-farm office environment.

Compensation -- Decent base salary and very good benefits package. Also have 3 weeks of time off a year.

Potential New Job
Industry -- Software development

Outlook -- Company has been in business for about 10 years with steady growth. Currently has about 250 employees. Still much smaller than my present company.

Work Conditions -- Unknown, but the company has really nice facilities. It seems much more free-wheeling. Was impressed by the CEO's commitment to personal development and building a strong team.

Compensation -- Offered approximately 5% more salary than my current salary, but benefits are not as good resulting in not much actual improvement. Would also revert to 2 weeks of time off per year.

As odd as it sounds, the "safe" thing to do seems to stay with my current company. Six months ago, I would have never said that due to the company's on-going layoffs.. The risky, but potentially more rewarding thing to do would be to switch to the new company.

It's hard to make this decision! Any advice from this forum would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 PM
43,012 posts, read 79,759,440 times
Reputation: 29888
I'd go for the new job. This is not the time to be in an industry that relies on government spending. I think you'll find the new environment refreshing.

And you're not taking a loss except in a weeks vacation. The company is growing. Your chances of moving ahead are greater. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 PM
14,909 posts, read 16,342,479 times
Reputation: 28373
I agree with Hopes, go with the new job.

I know I worked for a defense contractor. There will be more layoffs, don't get a false sense of security just because things have quieted down for now. One canceled contract and the layoffs could start up again.

I also came from a more laid back work environment to the defense industry and found it too rigid. Felt like I was working in the 1950s.

I would go with the new job.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 PM
43,012 posts, read 79,759,440 times
Reputation: 29888
Plus, anyone named coolcats belongs in a more laid back work environment.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 01:40 AM
3,573 posts, read 4,926,916 times
Reputation: 3406
I agree with the others and would go with the new job.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 AM
1,138 posts, read 2,207,155 times
Reputation: 848
I'd stick with your current company (someone has to dissent, right?)

I'm immediately discounting your comparisons of work conditions and outlook. You have "insider information" on your current company. You've seen the skeletons in the closet whereas with the new company you were only shown what HR, your potential new supervisor and new peers have let you seen.

You also said so yourself that things "have stabilized." That doesn't mean everything is rosy with your company, of course.

Now, on the flip side, the new company is small. What contracts do they have? Are they surviving on just one or two contracts? Are they a subcontractor producing software for another company? Do they produce the software for themselves and sell directly?

Those are key questions that you have to get answered or give some serious thought.

As silly as it may sound, I'd stick with your federally funded contracts right now if you have second thoughts about those questions I listed above. Private companies are far more susceptible to variations in the market. Besides, its not like they offered you enough money to entice you to make the jump. It is also a near certainty to expect the cost of healthcare to increase and I'd expect the small companies (with less bargaining power) to be hit with the highest rate increases than the bigger companies. Your 5% increase which may already be gobbled up by worse benefits at the new company may be completely washed away next year.

Now, here is to hoping that you aren't on the unemployment forum in a few months cursing me...
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 AM
403 posts, read 876,393 times
Reputation: 317
Go for the new job. In the next 3 months your current company can turn around and do another round of layoffs. You said you're not too fond of upper management soo how do you really know what the future outlook is?? It sounds like the only benefit to staying there is the paycheck and you have another offer on the table which pay just about the same. Why NOT go with the new offer??
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 34,128,788 times
Reputation: 15893
What are you chances for promotion at your current job?
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
1,737 posts, read 6,292,408 times
Reputation: 891
Default thanks for the advice

i actually declined the offer, but then they called back with an improved offer. i said i wanted to discuss their stability and strategy. we'll see how that goes. like i said, i really like the company, but jumping to such a small ship would be different for me.

Coincidently i had my yearly performance review, and my current boss discussed my potential here. but he's on a ten year timeline.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
43,012 posts, read 79,759,440 times
Reputation: 29888
Take the job offer!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top