Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM

24 posts, read 96,392 times

Advertisements

And I'm pretty sure I got blown off..

After waiting almost 4 hours for my actual interview I found out just before going in that some people were asked to come back later that evening for second interviews.

So I did my interview, was one of those ones where you're never actually directly asked a question, they pretty much look at your application and have you present yourself to them, though I was stopped and asked a couple of questions on occasion (and as an aside, he didn't mention a word about my termination from my previous employer). Afterwards the interviewer explained the situation, that the location would be closing down in a month for a major refurbishment, they are trying to get a good sized group of people for when it reopens, mentioned the type of position I would be placed in if I were hired, was handed a little postcard kinda thing with a website and was told to go there to fill out my assessment (most everyone it seemed received these). I asked about getting contacted or contacting them if they don't hear back, was given the man's business card and told to call him if I don't hear anything by the 20th of next month, just a few days before they close for the refurbishment.

So I go online, do the assessment and after that...is the application process. I already had a gut feeling that this was gonna go nowhere once I found out some people were told to come back that evening for second interviews and others ended up with this assessment bs, so would it be a waste of my efforts to fill out the application that I just handed in earlier and follow up next month or am I being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:19 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,511,047 times
Sounds like a total waste of time. You could have found out the company list and applied online without wasting money and time. Of course they don't always let you know the names of the companies, those job fair ads. Looks like recruiters and green HR needed to appear like they were working and account for their time. I never go to these stupid job fairs. And you have 500 people there, so how are you "cutting down on the competition?" Isn't that part of the process of getting a job?

I don't know, I just despise job fairs. Always have.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 PM

24 posts, read 96,392 times
Kinda figured.

Was for a Hometown Buffet, and the fair was done inside of the restaurant. So sitting there for several hours, not having eaten at all that morning (it started at 11), surrounded by families enjoying their all you can eat lunch..and all we were given was water, which was a nice gesture but not even some friggin' crackers?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,388,479 times
These job fairs are very misleading. I've only been to a few, but I never had much luck. There are a few things I've noticed about the job fairs I've been to that are very concerning to see. First, around my area, they have this same type of job fair I swear it seems like every other week and I can literally name the companies who will be there without even looking at the list first. It's always the same companies, which sends off warning signals for me and these companies are always hiring for the same positions. These are usually crappy, low paying positions that have high turnover, hence, the reason these same companies are always at these job fairs.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,140,543 times
The only good thing about job fairs is picking up all the freebies. That's the only thing that I ever did at them, and they're a total waste of time.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:13 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,691,090 times
People rarely get hired on the spot, or even interviewed, at job fairs anymore.

Even during a normal hiring process, the idea of hiring on the spot or immediately is close to obsolete in 2012.

The more I think about it, job fairs are just PR stunts by the corporations. The average joe will see it on the MSM report as "Hey, that company's hiring, they're investing in americans versus shipping their jobs overseas or hoarding cash. I like them!!!"

Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 PM

192 posts, read 436,199 times
Same here, I stay away from job fairs as they are usually highly publicized for the number of positions offered! I have a few strategies I use which seem to pay off (somewhat).
1. Try to limit your job searches in little known or rarely considered sources. Aerotek, spherion are both headhunters but will usually help if you have a good to great resume, and if you keep on them.
2. Research the company you are shooting for. Turnover rate, longevity in business, benefits, and how much can you learn from just their website? Talk to employees who might work there to see how they feel?
3. Set up multiple searches in areas of interest, with "tuned up " resumes based on the type of position you're after. Try to add assets to your resume which will boost your chances, such as college credits and work experience close to your target job. Don't lie or pad you resume, but use real experiences and employment with employees you met which will refer you! References can help a lot, especially those you've worked with.

T.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,797,374 times
The OP is talking about a "hire fair" not a job fair. A hire fair is when you are being interviewed for the job at the company's location and found out that day whether or not you made it to a second interview.

A job fair is when you go to a certain location and there are several employers to talk to and get information. They are not interviewing you at a job fair, just giving out information. But at a hire fair you are actually being interviewed for the open position.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarris7990 View Post
Kinda figured.

Was for a Hometown Buffet, and the fair was done inside of the restaurant. So sitting there for several hours, not having eaten at all that morning (it started at 11), surrounded by families enjoying their all you can eat lunch..and all we were given was water, which was a nice gesture but not even some friggin' crackers?
Why didn't you eat before you went? I've never been offered food during an interview type situation, unless I was being taken to lunch later in the process. Be thankful they gave you water.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,797,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why didn't you eat before you went? I've never been offered food during an interview type situation, unless I was being taken to lunch later in the process. Be thankful they gave you water.
I think most people are so focused on the interview that they are not even thinking about food. The plan is always to eat after the interview. Especially if the interview is before 12pm. Now if it''s at 2pm then I would say you would have to eat something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search