Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You have to fill the gaps in with other stuff. Like you couldn't seriously have just been looking for work and nothing else for 2 years. Plug in with any classes you taught, businesses you started, presentations you gave, volunteer work, anything. It's not like you were sitting on your ass just sending out resumes for 2 years. Just like it's not like all you do is work when you have a job. Just focus on the extra-curricular when you don't have a main gig.
EXACTLY. I actually didn't look for a job AT ALL during those 2 years. I didn't need to. I saved up money and had my bills in line. I knew I would be able to survive and my fiance supported me, so I took a 15-credit/semester load in college and knocked out tons of classes.

I have no idea how to put that on my resume to make it look relevant. I guess I will Google! But in response, the employers ACT like you were dying to work for those 2 years and almost look at you like "Didn't anyone wanna hire you in those 2 years?"...and I just keep saying "I wasn't looking for work. I went back to college full time to complete my Bachelors". It's like they don't get it.

Thanks for the tips!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly, as I have a friend in this very same situation. It's funny how some folks get so steamed when people do this, though. Guess they don't know what it's like to be without a job for a year or two, and being "shut out" of jobs that they can certainly qualify for, simply because they haven't been able to find work in so long.
I just see it as a risk they take, essentially, as background checks are becoming the norm and they are very extensive. I have seen this firsthand at my agency. It has cost a few jobs, but some people feel it's worth the gamble and I can't blame them...we all want to work so badly!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:37 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
The gaps, which happens in life is a pain in the ass, I am so sick of what we think employers, (they are just people like us)......might think......really? It is just sickening already...

so there is a gap, jail me, things happen in life where you just can't go to school, graduate, college, graduate work job 1 work job 2 and so on...sometimes there is a gap, a little time in between jobs, so you know what, tough!!! get over it...

of course you can just bridge the time together and call it a day, it really is no big deal, it is not like you are making a diamond heist or something, I mean really.....it's just a freaking job................

ugh I just HATE CORPORATE AMERICA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
What gets me are the ones that call you in for an interview and focus solely on that gap. Some of them even make little sighs and grunts when you explain why you are not working. If their sole concern is a gap, then why not address that via phone before calling someone in?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I think the hiring manager is just being petty, rude, and uncivilized to you. They don't really care that you have job gaps. Job gaps are relatively trivial unless you were in rehab or prison. In fact all of the hiring managers that I know personally have told me that. It's only when you've been in and out of rehab or prison do they start disapproving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
EXACTLY. I actually didn't look for a job AT ALL during those 2 years. I didn't need to. I saved up money and had my bills in line. I knew I would be able to survive and my fiance supported me, so I took a 15-credit/semester load in college and knocked out tons of classes.

I have no idea how to put that on my resume to make it look relevant. I guess I will Google! But in response, the employers ACT like you were dying to work for those 2 years and almost look at you like "Didn't anyone wanna hire you in those 2 years?"...and I just keep saying "I wasn't looking for work. I went back to college full time to complete my Bachelors". It's like they don't get it.

Thanks for the tips!!!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:40 PM

I've never had that problem before. The hiring managers I've interviewed with just seem to be all around dim-witted, obtuse, and indolent. They will focus on any random petty reason to not hire you or to give you a hard time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
What gets me are the ones that call you in for an interview and focus solely on that gap. Some of them even make little sighs and grunts when you explain why you are not working. If their sole concern is a gap, then why not address that via phone before calling someone in?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
A close friend of mine was interviewed. She was out of work 2 years caring for her terminally ill mother. At the interview she was asked how she supported herself during those 2 years. She had already explained her situation, but apparently the interviewer wanted to be callous.

Personally, that was none of that interviewer's business. Needless to say, she did not get the job.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Well like I said several times many if not most all HR managers are saliently petty and pedantic. And empathy and active listening are certainly not priorities for them either.

Quote:
A close friend of mine was interviewed. She was out of work 2 years caring for her terminally ill mother. At the interview she was asked how she supported herself during those 2 years. She had already explained her situation, but apparently the interviewer wanted to be callous.

Personally, that was none of that interviewer's business. Needless to say, she did not get the job.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:59 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:

I would have told the dumb ass interviewer that money is something that is not a problem for my family.

Just because I want to work doesn't mean I am poor, because hunny, I am not going to the poor farm any time soon.

The I would have stuck my tongue at her, and left.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Charles has the right answer: reorder your resume to list continuing education as a chronological event within your job history. What you are doing now isnt working, hence this thread... why would you dismiss another way of doing things when your own method keeps failing? THAT is the true source of ypur problems: you think you are right about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search