U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM
 
386 posts, read 812,598 times
Reputation: 248

Advertisements

No, I don't live in NYC, I live in SoCal, where things are as bad if not worse.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 2,443,739 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
No, I don't live in NYC, I live in SoCal, where things are as bad if not worse.
That explains it all. I'm from SoCal, but I live in NYC now. Totally different--trust me. I wish I could move back to SoCal. NYC work ethic is just something else.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 PM
 
24,512 posts, read 28,405,165 times
Reputation: 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
That explains it all. I'm from SoCal, but I live in NYC now. Totally different--trust me. I wish I could move back to SoCal. NYC work ethic is just something else.
Can you elaborate on NYC work ethics?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 PM
 
386 posts, read 812,598 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
That explains it all. I'm from SoCal, but I live in NYC now. Totally different--trust me. I wish I could move back to SoCal. NYC work ethic is just something else.
Where in SoCal? How are things different?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 2,443,739 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
Where in SoCal? How are things different?
Is your neighbor's household different than yours and the one next to it?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 2,443,739 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Can you elaborate on NYC work ethics?
Corrupt. Yep--that about sums it up.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 PM
 
13,985 posts, read 15,102,323 times
Reputation: 26500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimetechie View Post
I mean when you say they look at it, do they devote the whole conversation to why are you not working right now? How have you failed at your life because you have no job? I seriously odn't think they are that rude.
Actually there have been several posters who have gone on interviews and have had that happen.

The main focus of the interview becomes why they aren't working now rather than focus on where they did work and their past achievements.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2011, 07:28 AM
 
Location: The City That Never Sleeps
2,043 posts, read 3,825,432 times
Reputation: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually there have been several posters who have gone on interviews and have had that happen.

The main focus of the interview becomes why they aren't working now rather than focus on where they did work and their past achievements.
Exactly so. It becomes an interrogation session, not an interview, which is all the more reason to cover it up with something. It's bad enough looking for work in this economy but on top of that having to explain to interviewers "what you have been doing with your time." It's humiliating.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2011, 01:03 PM
 
2,989 posts, read 2,945,607 times
Reputation: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Exactly so. It becomes an interrogation session, not an interview, which is all the more reason to cover it up with something. It's bad enough looking for work in this economy but on top of that having to explain to interviewers "what you have been doing with your time." It's humiliating.
That about sums it up.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2011, 01:57 PM
 
331 posts, read 747,293 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Are you serious? You had 16 interviews and was no offered a job and you are blaing employers? You need to look at yourself and improve your interview skills
You, sir, lack reading comprehension skills. I never blamed employers for my striking out in all my interviews. I blamed employers for not having the courtesy to notify me that I was not selected after I interviewed. And thanks for the tip Mr. Obvious
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top