Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,746 times

Advertisements

I tell them I went back to college (which I did). I'm almost aggravated on the interviews I've been on because there still seems to be a stigma about resume gaps. I know MANY people who have been unemployed for a year or more and they weren't in school or dealing with anything. I wonder how things fare for them. It's as though these employers are ignoring the fact that we are in the worst recession of the century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Can't you write your resume to make it appear like there are no gaps? Employment is just an experience but so is college in a way. So instead of listing employment, list experience or something like that.

Job1
Job2
Job3
College
Job4
etc

Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Can't you write your resume to make it appear like there are no gaps? Employment is just an experience but so is college in a way. So instead of listing employment, list experience or something like that.

Job1
Job2
Job3
College
Job4
etc
I heard that sends of lots of red flags to employers. I have considered deleting dates and going with a functional resume, but employers generally are hesistant to contact you if you purposefully delete dates on your resume.

I think, for me, the best thing I can do is list my education first, so they can see the years I was in school.

I really feel for the people who have been unemployed for so long. What excuses will they give? I'm actually holding off on permanent employment and temping while I interview as I do not want to settle for any old job. I'm in NYC and have passed up offers in the 35k/year range, but that's because I'm way past that and one can hardly survive on that. I feel it's irresponsible to accept a permanent job offer knowing that you will leave when something more appropriate comes along. I am trying to do this the right way, but employers almost look at you like no one wants to hire you, when the truth is, I had no desire to work. I didn't need to work for those 2 years when I went back to college. I had a hefty savings account and a supportive fiance.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,778 times
That's why some people lie about gaps on the resume. If nobody is hiring you because of a gap, it's only going to get longer and make it even more impossible to get hired. So all the moralizing won't help to get hired. Just figure out how to fill the gap and get a reference for that particular gap. If more people did this, more people would get hired and the unemployment would eventually end for everyone. I know 4 guys who got together and filled their gaps. They all use each other as references. 2 already got hired; they have degrees and years of experience but a 1 year gap wasn't helping.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I tell them I went back to college (which I did). I'm almost aggravated on the interviews I've been on because there still seems to be a stigma about resume gaps. I know MANY people who have been unemployed for a year or more and they weren't in school or dealing with anything. I wonder how things fare for them. It's as though these employers are ignoring the fact that we are in the worst recession of the century.
Of course they're ignoring this fact!!!! HELLO......? They've BEEN ignoring it. That's why the unemployment situation is not getting any better. I live in the whereabouts of New York City, where everyone thinks you can get hired at the snap of your fingers. Couldn't be further from the truth. It's more competitive and cutthroat than ever. I know people with 4 year degrees, with Master's degrees, with 10 to 15 years of work experience and they have...."1 year gap".... "2 year gap...." One woman I know has 2 pages of nothing but Fortune500 companies on her resume and ...has a 2 year gap. Like I said, they will either have to cover up the gaps, or go on welfare...or move to Canada or somewhere else. I say just cover the gap somehow, get a reference for that time period and move on with your life. Seriously. Enough already with deifying these employers, and HR. The moralizers and "tell the truth, nothing but the truth people" won't pay your bills and put food on your table.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
You have to realize that it's an "employers market" right now. With so many people available for every job, employers can afford to be very picky about who they select, more so than in recent history. In the
long run that will help them remain viable into the future. Some of those employers will use an employment history gap as a way to reduce the number of resumes they have to read, by using it is a screening tool.

I can see why that will seem unfair to you, and others that have been out of work a while. I personally will look at the entire work history and
interview those with the best skillset and experience for the position.

If I were in a more technical field, though, I'd want people with fresh skills, so if people have not worked in 6 months or more it might be helpful to take classes or something just to show that you kept up-to-date with the technology.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Of course they're ignoring this fact!!!! HELLO......? They've BEEN ignoring it. That's why the unemployment situation is not getting any better. I live in the whereabouts of New York City, where everyone thinks you can get hired at the snap of your fingers. Couldn't be further from the truth. It's more competitive and cutthroat than ever. I know people with 4 year degrees, with Master's degrees, with 10 to 15 years of work experience and they have...."1 year gap".... "2 year gap...." One woman I know has 2 pages of nothing but Fortune500 companies on her resume and ...has a 2 year gap. Like I said, they will either have to cover up the gaps, or go on welfare...or move to Canada or somewhere else. I say just cover the gap somehow, get a reference for that time period and move on with your life. Seriously. Enough already with deifying these employers, and HR. The moralizers and "tell the truth, nothing but the truth people" won't pay your bills and put food on your table.
YES! Do we know each other? I could have told you the same story I work IN an actual agency and they reject MBA grads DAILY. They reject NYU and Columbia undergrads, etc.

Ya know what? You have a point!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
You have to realize that it's an "employers market" right now. With so many people available for every job, employers can afford to be very picky about who they select, more so than in recent history. In the
long run that will help them remain viable into the future. Some of those employers will use an employment history gap as a way to reduce the number of resumes they have to read, by using it is a screening tool.

I can see why that will seem unfair to you, and others that have been out of work a while. I personally will look at the entire work history and
interview those with the best skillset and experience for the position.

If I were in a more technical field, though, I'd want people with fresh skills, so if people have not worked in 6 months or more it might be helpful to take classes or something just to show that you kept up-to-date with the technology.
I just have no idea what to say to them. My line is "I went back to college to further my education and take courses that would help me advance in the workplace"...somewhere along those lines.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
You have to fill the gaps in with other stuff. Like you couldn't seriously have just been looking for work and nothing else for 2 years. Plug in with any classes you taught, businesses you started, presentations you gave, volunteer work, anything. It's not like you were sitting on your ass just sending out resumes for 2 years. Just like it's not like all you do is work when you have a job. Just focus on the extra-curricular when you don't have a main gig.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
That's why some people lie about gaps on the resume. If nobody is hiring you because of a gap, it's only going to get longer and make it even more impossible to get hired. So all the moralizing won't help to get hired. Just figure out how to fill the gap and get a reference for that particular gap. If more people did this, more people would get hired and the unemployment would eventually end for everyone. I know 4 guys who got together and filled their gaps. They all use each other as references. 2 already got hired; they have degrees and years of experience but a 1 year gap wasn't helping.
I agree with this wholeheartedly, as I have a friend in this very same situation. It's funny how some folks get so steamed when people do this, though. Guess they don't know what it's like to be without a job for a year or two, and being "shut out" of jobs that they can certainly qualify for, simply because they haven't been able to find work in so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search