U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:49 PM

326 posts, read 722,464 times

Advertisements

I really need a job and was thinking about streching my work experience by lying and saying I worked out of state and give them a fake company and everything saying the company went out of business, Do you think employers will check to make sure its true? I REALLY need a JOB! Telling the truth about my work history has gotten me no where and everytime an employer looks at my resume they never call me back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 02:50 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,242,717 times
Is there anything in your current work history that's holding you back?

Old 05-21-2011, 02:53 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,094,512 times
I can't think of a worse idea.

How about instead of focusing on what you're lacking (work experience) you talk more in your resume about the specific jobs you did at your recent places of employment and paint even the smallest things more positively?

Lying is a horrible idea, basically you'll either get a job that you're not really qualified for and your employer will find out awfully quickly, or they'll look into it and find out that the place never existed.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 PM

386 posts, read 957,970 times
Its a tough economy. Never lie on your resume, that could come back to haunt you in times of good. Just keep plugging away. We all really need jobs, and I've been on five or six interviews and never gotten a call back, but I won't lie about it.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:09 PM

96 posts, read 279,288 times
Don't lie - in the age of internet search engines, employers can find out a lot about you even before you come in for the interview. I'm currently doing project work for a former co-worker with his own business to help bridge the resume gap, and during a recent interview, the interviewer talked about how he had looked through the website for my co-worker's company and what he noted about it. Even if you claimed that the company had gone out of business, someone may still think it very odd that it doesn't come up in any search results.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:13 PM

22 posts, read 58,337 times
Stretching to me would be putting down a computer program you've probably only used a couple times under the computer skills section of your resume. I'd say you're more than stretching if you're gonna make up an entire company. That just sounds like a horrible idea.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:19 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,562,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I really need a job and was thinking about streching my work experience by lying and saying I worked out of state and give them a fake company and everything saying the company went out of business, Do you think employers will check to make sure its true? I REALLY need a JOB! Telling the truth about my work history has gotten me no where and everytime an employer looks at my resume they never call me back.
Everybody lies on their resumes. Those who say don't lie are either naive or stay at home moms and dads or those honesty champ who keep getting stupefied at how dishonest buggers go up the ladder while they still persist as bottom feeders

Give me your background and I'll try to teach you how to lie accordingly

I'll try. But don't invent your own company. That will not work for sure.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:40 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
You don't strike me as someone who is employable

Old 05-21-2011, 03:43 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,861,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Everybody lies on their resumes. Those who say they don't lie are either naive or stay at home moms and dads or those honesty champ who keep getting stupefied at how dishonest buggers go up the ladder while they still persist as bottom feeders
Seriously, why is this fact so hard to come to terms with? We're living in a world that plays dirty. If you want to put food on your table and survive you will have to play dirty at some point. You may need to play dirty a little bit as opposed to a lot.Is it better to go out and rob a bank/convenience store to feed yourself and your kids? Or is it better to put your friend's company on your resume and let him be your reference? I don't understand what all the hysteria on this board (on various similar threads) is about every time someone mentions padding, stretching or lying on the resume!!

You got a country where every politician lies; where Wall Street, F500 companies (we all know who they are) and the banks collapsed the economy and these people on here are having a stroke because someone chooses in a free capitalistic nation to manipulate their own resume in order to get a job and survive???? Are we for real?!? What someone does with their resume is their business. Lie, don't lie. It's better than becoming homeless and then a criminal. If I had to choose between hiring someone who padded their resume of having the same person "home invade" my house, rob it and do whatever, I think the choice is obvious.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:59 PM

326 posts, read 722,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Is there anything in your current work history that's holding you back?
yes I have an employment gap due to school and I left my previous job without putting in a two-weeks notice(i was 16 at the time and i am now 20). On top of that I only worked there for about 2 months = /. So no employer will probably want to hire me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or