U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM

70 posts, read 261,480 times

Advertisements

So I went back to school for a post bacc program... it was two years..... My intent was to pursue further graduate level work but I chose not two. I worked in finance and decided to go back to school when the down turn occurred as our investment banking deals were non existant.

I put my resume on career builder to make it seem as though I have been at my last employer for 4 years...when I got called about it I say its not my updated resume and that I need to send the one including my grad work (top ten school)

An HR rep from a firm in NYC called me and seemed really excited to interview me and to schedule a time. I told her I needed to send her my updated resume with the grad work on it....after sending my resume - my interview got postponed twice because she had a "meeting"...then it was eventually cancelled as they "filled the position" - could this be true, sure...but it was very fishy and it hasnt been the first time.

So to all the people spouting off at people lying about their resume gap consider this - I didn't even have a gap... I was in school....but because I wasnt working it was considered a gap.... so thats the reality

Cue all the people saying their is probably other reasons on my resume this happened....maybe...but your song and dance is getting old....I am straight lying from here on in.....and anyone who isnt..is a fool....a moral fool..but a fool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 PM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
truism: the #1 qualification for getting a (new) job is to currently have a job.

But in the absence of that truism being the case, you chose instead to foist a grand lie describing TWO YEARS of work rather than to describe the entirely reasonable choice option of returning to school full time, and which were presumably attending to well and responsibly (CH? GPA?)... and now that you have been found out you want to describe the problem of not getting an interview as being the fault of the recruiter's standards?

Gotcha.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 PM

I think thats a fair point....however in my case I dont see it holding water

I have over 10+ sales experience and there is no difference in terms of experience gained or lost in my two years...none...

Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM

887 posts, read 1,744,781 times
It takes talent to identify talent, and sadly most people in HR aren't the brightest bulbs in the first place. Reminds me of that jury duty joke. They're likely just following protocols and algorithms about who to hire. Gap? Red flag. Unfinished grad school? Another red flag.

In the old days you could just walk up to whoever was in charge, look him in the eye and ask for a job, and the person in charge can get a sense of if you're capable or not. Now you have to go through five layers of dumbarses reading your resume just to have someone actually in charge read it.

The demise of small and local businesses by massive scaling and corporatism is killing America. There's a reason that Microsoft after its wildly successful Windows 95 launch could have never again produced a Facebook and Google. Bill Gates would likely be rejected by his own company if he sent his 1980s resume online to Monster.com today.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 PM

I finished the grad school program..it was a program that typically, once finished, you pursue doctoral degrees

Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,667,112 times
I'm soooo not surprised by that. I say, you could be a rocket scientist who was pursuing his Ph.D. from Harvard but if that schooling indicates a gap because you were not working, it's over. School IS work. HELLLOO!!? If you whitewash the gap and find a reference for that time AND get hired, shoot me an email. (Hope you're not baiting

Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Baiting?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,235,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascot123 View Post
I put my resume on career builder to make it seem as though I have been at my last employer for 4 years...when I got called about it I say its not my updated resume and that I need to send the one including my grad work (top ten school)
So how was your updated resume different from the updated one you sent? You said you made it, "seem as though I have been at my last employer for 4 years." Did your "updated" resume include different dates of employment?

Since I don't know what the difference was between the two resumes, I can't really offer a comment but if I saw a resume that said a candidate had been with Acme from 2007-2011 and then they showed up to an interview with a resume that had significantly different dates of employment with Acme well...I'd think something was fishy with the applicant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascot123 View Post
An HR rep from a firm in NYC called me and seemed really excited to interview me and to schedule a time. I told her I needed to send her my updated resume with the grad work on it....after sending my resume - my interview got postponed twice because she had a "meeting"...then it was eventually cancelled as they "filled the position" - could this be true, sure...but it was very fishy and it hasnt been the first time.
Seems like you're just making an assumption here as no real reason was given to you other than them saying that they, "filled the position."

Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 PM

4,805 posts, read 19,559,583 times
For heaven's sake, 90% of the time, if a recruiter calls and leaves a message and you call them right back a second later, they claim they've already filled the position. It's absolutely absurd to think this has anything to do with your gap or perceived gap.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,019,556 times
I think they rejected you because your resume didn't reflect the TRUTH. Today, gaps are commonplace and taking time off from work to attend school is a legitimate and noble reason for the gap. Not being truthful on a resume is an absolute no-no however.

If the firm used that gap to reject you, they did you a favor. Find an organization that is more in touch with the reality of modern times. Gaps to pursue more education is the norm now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or