Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:30 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times

Advertisements

I obtained my former job at the law firm through a temp agency. There was a stipulation in the contract that the law firm was to pay the temp agency a fee if I were permanently hired before a period of three months was up. The law firm left the temp agency holding the bag - they blatantly violated the contract and went ahead and hired me on their own. The law firm's attitude to the temp agency was, "So go ahead and sue us."

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 07-03-2011 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:29 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I obtained my former job at the law firm through a temp agency. There was a stipulation in the contract that the law firm was to pay the temp agency a fee if I were permanently hired before a period of three months was up. The law firm left the temp agency holding the bag - they blatantly violated the contract and went ahead and hired me on their own. The law firm's attitude to the temp agency was, "So go ahead and sue us."
LOL! That's a little funny--I have to admit.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:30 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Usually there's a section for professional references and another for personal references. For the professional ones, IF you were at a corporation and not a mom and pop shop, I'd give them the HR numbers - not former co-workers. All they want is employment verification that you worked there when you said you did - and maybe, like someone else mentioned, whether they'd re-hire you (and sometimes if you earned the pay range you claimed - but usually they have their own market standard and know what they're willing to pay you so they don't care so much what you earned elsewhere.) If your former companies had a 'real' HR department then they know the drill and will be professional about it. In fact, many larger corporations dole that work out to firms who do confirmations full time. It's efficient and professional - unlike a regular ol' ex co-worker who could ummm and ahh, blab, be eating while they talk, or otherwise unprofessional. That throws up a red flag that there's a reason why you didn't send them to the official employment verification source. Really, it sounds like they're ready to hire you - I'd just relax about the background check. They'll do what they do regardless of how much you agonize over it here.

Sigh--I know. I'm not sure why they are telling my agency that they will circle back to them in a few weeks. I just want a YES or NO. I don't understand why they need a few weeks to circle back to my agency..it makes me feel like they changed their mind or something.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:35 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,343,707 times
Just have to comment here w my brothers experience. He was jobless so he volunteered at a local hospital getting to know a few people, found out where internal job posting were(this was prior to pc's) and applied and has had a job there for the past 15 years! Just a suggestion for you seekers.
Realize It is difficult to live w no income, he got behind but he got a JOB w benefits!

Good Luck and God be with you in your efforts!

Old 02-11-2015, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,140 times
Does anyone know if I failed the background check to get a permanent position through the company I work at through a temp agency. Will they let me stay on as temp or tell the temp agency to end my assignment?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:17 AM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilli3 View Post
Does anyone know if I failed the background check to get a permanent position through the company I work at through a temp agency. Will they let me stay on as temp or tell the temp agency to end my assignment?
Your assignment will be ended and the temp agency probably won't work with you in the future, but some places just don't do background checks so they very well may give you assignments depending on this. Some of the agencies that I've been with do background screenings/checks before you can even start employment or getting assignments. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
The majority of my temping gigs resulted in perm offers. Two I took.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Statistically only 27% of jobs even labeled TTH ever turn permanent. There are quite a few notorious F500 companies that pack their workplaces full of temps and seldom or never hire. Some smaller and mid sized companies also do this as well though some smaller companies tend to appreciate institutional knowledge more and retaining workers more.

The only way I was made permanent was by leaving to a better company and the Fers didn't even counteroffer.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:45 AM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Statistically only 27% of jobs even labeled TTH ever turn permanent. There are quite a few notorious F500 companies that pack their workplaces full of temps and seldom or never hire. Some smaller and mid sized companies also do this as well though some smaller companies tend to appreciate institutional knowledge more and retaining workers more.

The only way I was made permanent was by leaving to a better company and the Fers didn't even counteroffer.
Same. The company I was working with knew I was leaving, kept me on past my original assignment date, and when my recruiter asked if they'd consider hiring me on full time, they just never got back to her. Really, I'd only ever temp again if I lost my job and needed something to pass the time while searching for that perfect full time opportunity. Waste of time to think a company you temp for cares that much about you or your work, even if they put on a good show.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:47 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Same. The company I was working with knew I was leaving, kept me on past my original assignment date, and when my recruiter asked if they'd consider hiring me on full time, they just never got back to her. Really, I'd only ever temp again if I lost my job and needed something to pass the time while searching for that perfect full time opportunity. Waste of time to think a company you temp for cares that much about you or your work, even if they put on a good show.

It costs a lot of money. One place I worked paid a five figure fee to the agency to hire me F/T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search