Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 32,286 times

Advertisements

I had a job interview last Friday, and a second interview with the same company this past Monday. Both interviews were very formal, and pretty much every interview question under the sun was asked, some even were duplicates of the first interview. I asked when they were going to make a decision by, and was told as soon as they could contact my references they would be in touch.

They called the two references they had requested, on Monday and Tuesday (I know this because I contacted the two references and they said they told the company great things about me). Last night the company called me and said they had talked to my references, but that they had MORE questions for me! Is this normal to contact the references after two interviews and then still have questions? Shouldn't they know by now if they want to hire me? Are they just saying this because they want to get me back in so they can make me a job offer? I have never had this happen before.

I am concerned also because they were unable to reach one of the main references I gave them, and only got to talk with a person who knew me little, although she said she gave them a great reference. Should I be worried? Are they going to ask me more about the person who gave the reference and why they couldn't contact the main one (I worked with this person very little)? Does this look bad? Am I overreacting? LOL Please help! Any opinions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 11:55 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Companies like jerking candidates around. It is part of their power trips. Also they are so paranoid about making a bad hire that it just paralyzes them.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:58 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,148 times
It often means they are having trouble deciding whether or not to make you an offer. Maybe there's a person who's on the fence. Knock em out

Old 06-30-2011, 11:58 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Companies like jerking candidates around. It is part of their power trips. Also they are so paranoid about making a bad hire that it just paralyzes them.
People like to believe that because employer-bashing is so in vogue these days.

It depends on what the position is. If it is a lower level corporate position or a blue-collar type job, then, yeah, maybe its a bit overkill - or maybe they are on the fence about the OP and another candidate.

If it is a higher-level corporate position, then it is not too far out of the ordinary.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
No, it is common, this time of year with vacations, people play phone tag. But things are going in your favor. They may want additional references, maybe start salary negotiation. Just wait.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Maybe there's a person who's on the fence. Knock em out

Old 06-30-2011, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 32,286 times
Thank you all for your comments!

I just found out that the office manager who gave my reference, instead of the CEO who I was the assistant for, said that I my job duties "dealt with all aspects of property management from renting to evicting" which is only partly true, because I was also the executive assistant. In addition, she said that I left because of a better opportunity, but in reality it was a contract position, and I was covering for someone on maternity leave. I think this is why they want to interview me again, to find out what my actual position was and why I really left. What should I do? I gave the CEO as the reference, but when they called the office manager couldn't get him on the phone and said that an appointment would need to be made. The CEO told me they could call him and he would give a reference. What should I do? I don't want to bug them any more than I need to. It looks like I lied on my application now about my job title and responsibilities. I think that the office manager just maybe forgot what I did, because she was only there a few weeks when I left the company. I guess I could tell them that in the interview?! :/

Old 06-30-2011, 03:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
It sounds like there was a lack of communication going on.

Since the CEO told you he would be willing to be your reference what I would have done is called over to your old company and given them a heads up and say they will be calling the CEO for a reference.

You have to really clear with people when you have a few parties involved. If the office manager had known in advance that the CEO said he would talk to them it would have avoided the appointment issue and her becoming your reference.

She didn't seem to know in advance that he said it was OK to just talk to him without an appointment.

I would explain(if it comes up) what you posted here when you go back in for the third interview.

But in the future it doesn't hurt to let your references know that you interviewed and they will now be calling you.

Especially when you're using someone high up in a company and they can mention it to their staff so that when the call comes in people know it is coming.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:33 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
I do not participate and endure multiple interviews. I apply. You call me and schedule interview. I do not answer questions such as, what were your biggest challenges you overcame blah, blah, blah! I tell you what I offer. Take it or leave it! I do not play these games. I recently told some phome recruiter in so many words to stick it!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I do not participate and endure multiple interviews. I apply. You call me and schedule interview. I do not answer questions such as, what were your biggest challenges you overcame blah, blah, blah! I tell you what I offer. Take it or leave it! I do not play these games. I recently told some phome recruiter in so many words to stick it!
I so wish my field was in enough demand that I could do the same. Instead if you want a job you have to jump through any hoops they put in front of you like a circus seal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search