Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
So if they do a background check on me, will they find (negative) information on my husband as well?
Not allowed to do so without your consent.

So, if you're giving out your husband's driver license # and SS#.....

But that prob'ly won't happen unless you're looking to get into the CIA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
if you were fired from a previous job, but you do not include the job on your application, resume, can they still find out?

Difficult but not impossible.

Ifya don't list it, there's a good chance that they won't call.

Case in point:

For my current position, I explicitly stated that I didn't want them to contact my present employer at the time.

For obvious reasons, of course.

After I accepted the offer, I put my notice in.

I was terminated on the spot.

So, I was fired for quitting.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 AM

10 posts, read 91,881 times
Will they do any contacting anyone once the backround is complete...to get some answers to the alerts on my check...

Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjun24 View Post
Will they do any contacting anyone once the backround is complete...to get some answers to the alerts on my check...
Once background check is complete, they are done with it as far as I understand. It's usually done by a third party vendor and the vendor gets paid and the job is completed.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCpopculturelover View Post
i've heard that employers are legally allowed to only give out limited information regarding a former employee as to why he/she left, as in the dates of employment only and if he/she is rehirable, but they can't say that they were fired
Not true.

This is policy for some companies, but it is not law.

I am a department manager who has to deal with this stuff fairly frequently. I am not an HR person, but I do have to work with HR on all of the standard matters, hiring, firing, discipline, contract interpretation, etc. I have done extensive HR training with a number of companies.

My current employer, a state agency, is perfectly willing to answer all sorts of questions for reference checks, as long as I have documentation to back it up in an employee file. If I get a reference call from somebody and I have written documentation that my former employee was frequently late, I am supposed to pass this information along. If I do not have documentation, then I should say nothing.

My previous employer was an F500 company. Their policy was for managers to say nothing at all, not even to acknowledge whether you recognized the name or not. Everybody was told to contact central HR, who would only verify start date and end date. They would not verify salary, title, or reason for leaving.

Prior to that I worked for a large regional corporation. They were also quite open about previous employees.

All three of these workplaces had professional HR staff, corporate counsel, and thousands of employees. In my HR training sessions I was provided with copies of state and federal laws covering the topic at hand, whether it was EEOC training for hiring purposes, FLMA training, whatever. At no time was it ever said that providing complete information on former employees was illegal, and at 2 of 3 employers it was encouraged, within some guidelines.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 AM

So once the employer get the backround back and there is any alerta on there..I have on on there stating I am still working at a place that i left off due to short time...will that be investigated..by the employer..

Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM

do you think that alert will hurt my chances if me keeping that offer they verbaly gave to me over the phone pending the drug and backround check...I left it off my resume...I just stared working in Sept after being unemployed for some months and I was rehire back my the company but I dont want to be at the job anymore..so I didnt want to make it seem like I move around from job quickly..so i left it off..but its showing orig date 2008 which is when I work before and I came back for the 2nd time..been hee only 4 months and my backround said Orig date hire 2008- status active... with your experience will they look into that or will they just rescind the offer due to that info...everything else is fine no criminal record.. Do I have anything to worry about..they rec the backround check on 12/25/2012 its friday should I have heard something back by now..

Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 AM
YAZ

Best to be honest, David.

But you already knew that.

I worked at a place twice and listed the years, so it was obvious. E.g., 1993-1997.....1999-2004.

Have you kept your current employer secret?

What I'm sayin' is:

If you let your prospective employer know that you don't want them to contact your current employer, it should be OK.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 AM

So my chances probably are not good...they probably will contact them and ask then...damn I really mess this up

Old 12-28-2012, 11:15 AM

Should I have heard from them by now of the backround was complete on 12/25/2012...and what is the normal way someone would know if there backround check was good...do they call you or do they send the offer letter and package to your resident...its only been 2 days since the check was complete by the third party vendor...I really hope I didnt mess my chances up by not stating my current employment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search