Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:29 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,231 times

Advertisements

If you're using Craigslist to find jobs, the picture request makes sense because many of those ads are not very legitimate. I have seen those kinds of requests on some Craigslist job ads and those are typically the kind you don't reply to.

I think it's very common for employers to look up applicants on Facebook and that's usually how they can see what you look like in a less-creeptastic way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
When I was first looking for work I was told do not put a picture on your resume, though some candidates did.

An acting resume seems to be the only type of resume you would attach a headshot to.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 PM

7 posts, read 24,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
An acting resume seems to be the only type of resume you would attach a headshot to.
^ Exactly. Or anything related to the entertainment and/or performing arts field. I'm happy that I have enough common sense not to respond to these employers' advertisements and stick to the ones that don't require a picture of myself. I'm relieved I can finally vent about this!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:21 AM

142 posts, read 358,150 times
Its illegal to ask for a photo of an applicant and its also grounds for legal action -as an employer, I would be liable to a lawsuit should I not hire anyone who provided a photo which I had requested. OFCCP regulations clearly explain this.

The only time a photo ID is required is on the first day of employment and potentially on the day of the interview should the building security require it of all visitors.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:55 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Maybe they are checking to see if it matches any of the pictures on the Post office wall...Only kidding.

One possiblity that comes to mind is they are using the pictures to weed out applicants that do not meet their appearance standards. Whether or not this is legal I do not know.
I think it should be illegal to require photographs from prospective employees. Here I am filling out yet another job application and how I look does not impact my job performance.
\

Old 07-03-2011, 10:08 AM

200 posts, read 504,978 times
I actually went on a job interview recently where they took a picture of me in their office prior to going into the interview. It was for a very high tier sales job though so I imagine they wanted to see who they felt would best represent the company in not only performance but appearance as well.

In the Army they always make you take DoD photos once you become a senior NCO or officer. We always joke that it's to make sure you aren't fat. In my most recent DoD photo I wore my new dress blues to make sure they know it was a recent photo and not an old one.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:57 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
Sounds really sketchy to me. I was always taught for job applications and resumes, that you don't put photos, pictures or go out of your way to put similar info not usually relevant to your competency for the job (for instance, you don't put gender, age, hair or eye colour, height etc.). They wouldn't ask for it or need to know it anyway.

The exceptions may be where physical appearances matter such as acting or modelling, but those are not the majority of jobs anyways and the way they hire and do things there is different.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:16 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
While this is common in Europe, here it could definitely be a tool for age or sex discrimination. It's actually perfectly legal to discriminate against a man with a beard or woman with a wart on her nose, they are not in a protected class.
Yeah, I had to talk down a US buddy who was applying for a job in Europe - he was convinced the photo was some sort of sinister plot. It's just how it is, and I never heard anyone use it for anything but a way to discern one applicant from another - "That guy in the blue sweater, was he CCNA or CCNP?"

Old 07-03-2011, 04:38 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
Well, from a North American point of view (the US and Canada), it is not really a thing that is supposed to be done.

I think it's also a thing for North American and also the UK, resumes to avoid information not relevant for the job. From what people say, those in other parts of the world such as Europe (though I've not worked/lived there) include a lot more information such as gender, marital status, number of kids, etc.

At least from what I have heard in Canada (which is not really much different from the US in resume style), the advice is "Never put your picture." It's not called for, and it's illegal for employers to consider stuff like personal appearance, gender or race etc.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,669 times
I have only been seeing this on Craigslist. Much of what looks legit on there isn't. Amazing how many supposedly real businesses don't post like one. You should be very careful what you email to someone. I would call/email and asked for "proof" they are a real business. If they are they should be embarrassed for bad post or feel it is a reasonable question. If they are not legit well... Craigslist needs to make this a more formal guide for businesses posting ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search