U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:49 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,331,298 times

Advertisements

I am going to quit my job tomorrow morning (don't need any advice about this, I've already made up my mind). I have the letter of resignation ready. After reading over the employment agreement, I'm required to give two weeks notice. I would like to leave sooner than that if possible (to avoid scrutiny). I'm thinking about putting the two weeks date on the resignation letter but then tell my manager that I would like to leave as soon as possible. I've already gotten to a point where all of my current tasks are 99% done. I can't complete one of them because it depends on someone else finishing their task. Other then that, there's no reason for me to be there. I'm relatively new anyway. Also, I'm required to participate in an exit interview. I have some part time work secured and it's sort of related to what I'm doing now. I'm worried that they might try and get me in legal trouble. I'm thinking about just saying that I have part time work secured in the meantime that is not at all related to the work I do here. I didn't share any confidential information (wouldn't even know what it is anyway as I am relatively new) but I still want to avoid the whole mess if possible. I remember my last employer had me do my exit interview through some online survey. This one might be a face to face one. I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,130,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
. Also, I'm required to participate in an exit interview.
Like those dudes in the GEICO commercial, I must live under a rock as well, because I've never heard of the above.

I did give a former place of employment the middle finger when leaving, but I don't believe that qualifies as an exit interview.

Or does it?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,727,414 times
I have done exit interviews, just lie, say how great it was to work there, how sad you are to oleave. It is BS. Don't tell the truth, no one cares.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 PM

12,675 posts, read 14,018,962 times
Exit interview? What's there to talk about? I'm leaving, your probably going to want to hire a replacement, I'm probably not going to work too hard the last day, so expect to play catch up for a bit... Sounds like some hardcore management B.S. to me.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,686,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have done exit interviews, just lie, say how great it was to work there, how sad you are to oleave. It is BS. Don't tell the truth, no one cares.
Exactly. You just you enjoyed working there but a better opportunity came along.

No sense in mentioning any problems because no one cares.

And you will need them as a reference down the road anyway.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 AM

5,539 posts, read 9,944,175 times
Do you have a no-compete clause that you are violating? If not, what kind of legal trouble could you be in?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM

4,349 posts, read 7,994,008 times
exit interviews are standard procedure. The last one I did was online - imagine those surveys you fill out for home depot (from the receipt). Basically get a question, and rate them from 1-5 (completely disagree-completely agree).

If its person to person, it'll be the same thing... but you wont' be able to avoid the follow-up comments.

As others have said, you can either be honest on what you felt needed improvement or just say everything was fine and you're simply pursuing a different opportunity.

There is also no legal obligation for you to participate. Meaning that you can say that you rather not do one. Just as you don't have an obligation to give two weeks.... simply a courtesy thing. Just keep in mind that some fields are small worlds.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 AM

8,808 posts, read 13,297,378 times
I agree as satisfying as it is, take this job and shove it is rarely beneficial in the long run. Just give the usual BS line as Jasper said I enjoyed working here but found a better opportunity. It is SOP just like those annoying entrance forms where they make you declare your race and where you heard about this job OP.

Giving out a laundry list of gripes probably won't do any good either. HR doesn't care and unless there is a pattern of high turnover for 1 manager they won't do anything.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,122,817 times
Well, hope the supervisor shows up.

My supervisor never showed up to mine.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 AM

21,369 posts, read 24,115,390 times
Exit interviews are not a a real requirement. Its just someone up the ladder collects data on why people leave. Just give them some truthful feedback (up to the level you are compfortable with) and don't burn a bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or