Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,876,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well you don't wait on feedback your move on to the next task
Have you ever interviewed or hired?
Job number one is the cut, or looking for excuses to round file resume's to get them down to a managable number.

Someone who stands out in a positive way or gives you pause will cause you to actually look at their resume rather than just look for excuses to initially round file it.

Communication and people skills, especially in IT are valuable but hard to quantify much less express on a resume. Someone who can build rapport with gatekeepers, interviewers and decision makers will be much more successful in finding that job!

As simple a thing as just calling to ask if they received it and expressing in a sentence or two why you are excited about this company, posiiton, opportunity has the potential to make a difference. Employers want people who are motivated and productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,457 times
Quote:
It's only 2 reasons why someone would not hear a call back when they submit their resume for a certain job opening.

"You don't fit the qualifications for the job"

"The job opening was fake"

So knowing this why in the world would someone call after submitting a resume? Why make yourself look desperate and stupid? Why not let the company come after you so you can maintain your appeal as a job candidate?

I also have to disagree. Sure you don't want to annoy the company and I'll even agree I feel kinda stupid calling up b/c essentially its kinda pointless if they want me they will call me.

some managers do like someone who is going to be aggressive and go after something they want. i think this is probably especially true in some jobs. a sales job for example. how many sales you gonna make if you put in one call and sit around to wait to hear back, no you gotta be aggressive.

also think about other jobs where you gotta be aggressive. i used to work in online advertising. i had to constantly be on top of publishers to deliver my online campaigns in a timely fashion but also pace them, for example dont give all 1,000,000 impressions over a week so the same people see them, spread them out evenl over the 6 months of the campaign. i had to constantly be on top of these people, had i put in one call and left it alone things wouoldnt get done properly.

by being aggressive i think some hiring managers will like that, especially in certain jobs or industries.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,580 times
Didn't you have a similar thread a little while ago, TV?? As an HR person, I do not mind receiving follow up phone calls. It doesn't bother me. Sometimes people who are interested in the trade actually drop in to ask questions before they decide to apprentice, and I'l send them down to a jobsite to see the job firsthand. One thing I mentioned to you before was that time is money. My boss hates spending alot of money on advertising and people not interested in learning a trade. We always have jobsite openings sometimes with very little warning. We are not a large company (about 30-40) employees. In this economy, many positions are no longer with large corporations, but with smaller employers. We have hired many people because they made a phone call after sending in a resume.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,433 times
I had interviewed for a teaching job one summer, and I thought the interview went well. However, weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything, and since it was getting within a couple of weeks of the new school year, I thought, "What the hell" and called the principal to ask about where I stood. He told me he had a long-term sub position that I could have if I wanted it, and that turned into another long-term sub position which then turned into a regular position the following year.

So, yeah, the OP's premise is predictably stupid.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I had interviewed for a teaching job one summer, and I thought the interview went well. However, weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything, and since it was getting within a couple of weeks of the new school year, I thought, "What the hell" and called the principal to ask about where I stood. He told me he had a long-term sub position that I could have if I wanted it, and that turned into another long-term sub position which then turned into a regular position the following year.

I said RESUME SUBMISSION not Interviewing.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Didn't you have a similar thread a little while ago, TV?? As an HR person, I do not mind receiving follow up phone calls. It doesn't bother me. Sometimes people who are interested in the trade actually drop in to ask questions before they decide to apprentice, and I'l send them down to a jobsite to see the job firsthand. One thing I mentioned to you before was that time is money. My boss hates spending alot of money on advertising and people not interested in learning a trade. We always have jobsite openings sometimes with very little warning. We are not a large company (about 30-40) employees. In this economy, many positions are no longer with large corporations, but with smaller employers. We have hired many people because they made a phone call after sending in a resume.
Trie to rep you but have to spread it around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post

As always.

Quote:
I said RESUME SUBMISSION not Interviewing.
Good grief. The previous poster to whom you so stupidly responded obviously sent in her resumé and was interviewed after receipt of same and THEN followed up.

Seriously, Sol, you need to get into some sort of a positive learning curve. 36 years old, stuck in a horrible rut on all fronts and soon to be out in the field again looking for employment when you've not a clue and don't listen to everyone who's tried to advise you in the last two years. Bloody hopeless case unless you all of a sudden do a complete turnaround. With all due respect I'm beginning to realize that the latter is simply something you're incapable of doing. Surprise me!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If someone submitted a resume to me and did not try to reach out in some way (phone call, stopping by, email) to go the extra mile to express their interest in the job, I doubt I would ever consider hiring them.

I want people who are willing to put in extra effort at work, and just emailing a resume out and waiting does not show any extra effort. I am not sure if this is true for any other fields, but for mine (corporate IT, everyone college educated, the majority with master's degrees) it absolutely is.
Where's the line drawn between showing enthusiasm for the position and looking desperate/being a pest?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM

466 posts, read 815,482 times
And perhaps another stupid question, but what the hell. I can take a beating today. If it says "no calls," does that also mean "no emails." No contact period?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Where's the line drawn between showing enthusiasm for the position and looking desperate/being a pest?
There is no one size fits all answer to this. That line is always situational. A polite call expressing interest after a few days is one thing, repeated calls is another (for example). Also, you should have an idea of the culture of a place before you apply (are they laid back, rigid, etc). That makes a difference too.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:30 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
There is no one size fits all answer to this. That line is always situational. A polite call expressing interest after a few days is one thing, repeated calls is another (for example). Also, you should have an idea of the culture of a place before you apply (are they laid back, rigid, etc). That makes a difference too.
Exactly. If the ad says "no calls" or "only those contacted will be interviewed", than I would respect that. With 30-40 employees we are much more flexible in terms of our hiring procedures than an employer with hundreds or thousands of staff. In our situation, I would never send a prospective employee an implied or stated message of "Don't call us, we'll call you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search