U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Situation Would You Think is Worse?
A 3 27.27%
B 7 63.64%
It Varies 1 9.09%
Neither 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 PM

2,275 posts, read 3,169,698 times

Advertisements

Imagine experiencing the following situations (or recall when you have experienced either/both), when it was clear/likely the employer found their match already, or lost interest:

A. Your interview was cancelled before you could attend.
B. You had an interview, which was clear the employer was just going through the motions, just to get through the process.

Which situation would you think is worse, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,984,798 times
Neither has happened to me - but I think them going through the motions would be worse because you would possibly still have your hopes up or think there was a chance.

Or worse, you may think they are going through the motions causing you to tank the interview. If they really haven't found someone or are looking to keep resumes on file you just shot yourself in the foot.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,229,152 times
I've had both. As you're going through it, B feels worse. Because it's humiliating. At least with scenario A, you can mope about losing the opportunity in private. Scenario B means you have to sit there with a smile on your face and pretend. It's like a thousand little cuts.

But in the long run B is better, I think. Even if they are just going through the motions, there's at least a distant chance that you can win them over. They wouldn't have called you in if there were no chance at all. And a remote chance is still a chance. Show them you're a rock star and the job is yours. If they just cancel the interview, you have no way of changing their minds.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:00 AM

6,389 posts, read 5,459,826 times
B. Definitely worse. You are out the cost of gas for the interview, a disadvantage especially if the interview is a long distance away.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:19 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,966,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I've had both. As you're going through it, B feels worse. Because it's humiliating. At least with scenario A, you can mope about losing the opportunity in private. Scenario B means you have to sit there with a smile on your face and pretend. It's like a thousand little cuts.

But in the long run B is better, I think. Even if they are just going through the motions, there's at least a distant chance that you can win them over. They wouldn't have called you in if there were no chance at all. And a remote chance is still a chance. Show them you're a rock star and the job is yours. If they just cancel the interview, you have no way of changing their minds.

Good illustration.

B is definitely worse, BUT it is possible that you may make an impression on them and they will consider you for a different position.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:16 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,356,656 times
B. It shows no respect for my time. I'd rather them say "sorry, we found the perfect match but we'll call you if another position opens up". It's not just the time in the interview (which in my industry is about 3 hours for an interview). I prepare extensively: researching the company, researching the interviewers if I know their names and can find them on LinkedIn, rehearsing the typical interview questions, getting my dry cleaning in order, getting a haircut, printing directions and setting up the navigation system, etc.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 AM

2,681 posts, read 6,263,435 times
Thumbs down well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Imagine experiencing the following situations (or recall when you have experienced either/both), when it was clear/likely the employer found their match already, or lost interest:

A. Your interview was cancelled before you could attend.
B. You had an interview, which was clear the employer was just going through the motions, just to get through the process.

Which situation would you think is worse, and why?
I suffered through 'B'...only because it was an 'in-house' promotion. It was common knowledge that the departments 'Niece' already had it in the bag even though she had no qualifications for it. I didn't cancel the interview because I didn't want to **** my boss's off or show lack of interest in the company or the postion...total waste of my time. I wasn't asked one single question regarding my qualifications for the position. About half way through it was clear to everyone in the room that they were simply going through the motions.
Koale

Old 07-23-2011, 10:24 AM

19,078 posts, read 21,900,041 times
Oops, I voted for A when I meant to pick B. I guess it might be good experience to go through the interview process. I hate interviewing, so I guess the more practice the better. Then there's the off chance of impressing the folk you're interviewing with and they might find something else for you now or in the future.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:33 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,123,602 times
When I was teaching, I went through a process with one district where I suspected the fix was in when the principal didn't even allow me to ask any questions when she was finished, which I found VERY strange. I just assumed that she either didn't like me, or that someone else had the position and they were going through the motions.

Surprisingly enough, I got a call for a second interview- this one with the district superintendent. I figured I had nothing to lose by going on it. As I was waiting, the other candidate was on her way out, and it was clear they knew one another and the conversation was very light and jocular. Then, when I was brought in, it was the same thing as the first time- he asked me a few questions then dismissed me without allowing me to ask any questions.

Yeah, that really sucked. I'd have much rather not even heard from them at all.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 AM

13,980 posts, read 10,920,048 times
If you believe that your time is valuable, B is worse. You could have spent that time working toward another job lead that might have panned out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or