Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times

Advertisements

I have an offer from company O with a "let us know as soon as possible" about accepting it. I won't accept it unless they kick it up at least another five percent as it is only about 5% more than I am making now. I haven't told them this yet. They know what I make now and when I interviewed I mentioned 10% would be a target. Perhaps they expect me to negotiate up.

I interviewed with two other companies (Company Q and Company N) which I am about 90% sure I'd get offers from but not until mid August.

What do I do about this? I don't know the timing of Q's or N's offers - likely mid to late August - and I don't know the amounts.

My preferences for working at these companies 40% N, 30% O and 30% Q.

One thing I could do is counter company O's offer now (it's already been three days since I received it - waiting longer to contact them would be rude.)

Just thinking out loud. What is normal? Should I tell company O about potential offers from N and Q, OR, should I mention to N and Q that I have an offer and I'd like to know soon whether I can expect an offer (I haven't been eliminated in other words).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,877,021 times
Tough call Charles. You're currently employed, right?

1. Would you accept company O's offer if they will not negotiate salary? (irrespective of possible Q&N offers of the future)

2. Could you, in good conscience, jump ship if Q or N came in with a better offer?

3. What are your end-goals? More money? More stable company? Better growth potential? How do each of the companies stack up with your end-goals?

As to your questions, I would not tell company O about other potential offers if they are not in hand. The thing I would want to know from company N, your preference, is whether or not you accepting a position with company O would affect their interest in you. Unfortunately, that's kind of a Catch-22.

Finally, there's nothing wrong with countering the company O offer if handled the right way. Not "I told you I wanted 10% and you're only offering 5%." Something more along the lines of "that's on the lower end of the range we discussed. Is there any upward flexibility?"

As you know, it's a buyer's market so there are no set rules anymore. You need to decide what you're willing to accept in terms of the job, money, etc and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search