Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 PM

382 posts, read 1,921,404 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Well, first I want to mention that I already have the job with great pay/benefits; however, I am exploring other opportunities and here is the information regarding the interviews I had. Could you guys tell me what you think and whether or not you sense any bad signs. Thanks!

• Had Panel Interview last month. Took a written technical exam; answered visual technical questions; answered about 6 behavior questions. Overall, I think I did great on this part of the interview (I always relaxed and do good on F2F panels).
  • Was called for a Skype interview. The interview was scheduled for today. Received a call from one of the interviewers and was told if I can take an interview 1 hour earlier due to cancellation they had with other applicant. I agreed but asked for 5 extra minutes to prepare - they said no problem. Then the Skype call came through and the manager informed me that they are experiencing difficulties with video on Skype. I then asked if it is ok to do the interview via land-line. They said sure and I accidentally hanged up on Skype before writing down the land-line # to call. Called back on Skype and got the number.
  • Called the number and the interview started. Everyone was serious. There were 3 people on the panel and each took turns to ask questions. The questions were like: Why us? Biggest accomplishment? What can you offer?..... There were few instances when I did not understand what they were saying and I asked for clarification. Then one instance when they did not understand what I was saying and they asked for clarifications. The reasons could be: bad reception quality (I was on speaker in their office); my heavy accent. I was able to throw in a lot of good questions to show my research about their company. I even checked linkedin profile on one of the panel members and dropped that into the conversation as we have common experience.
  • Immediately after the interview sent thank you notes to everyone via email; and one via USPS - attn Interview Panel. Email one of the panel members to inquire about timeline for making decision (forgot to ask at the interview as I was asking a lot of other technical questions to prove that I have done my homework).
  • The interview lasted 10 minutes.

So, that is basically full description of what took place. What do you guys think?

I am concerned about the following:

• Hanging up problem and asking them to switch to land-line (don't know why I asked that) I guess because since there is no video, there is no difference between Skype and land-line. But now that I am thinking of it - perhaps they wanted to see me only (my camera was working). Yet, they already saw me in person.
  • Was very nervous and they probably heard that (I am always nervous on the phone, but completely cool f2f).
  • They did not understand me few times due to my accent and/or telephone quality.
  • I had to ask for clarification few times as I did not understand.
  • I guess I should have asked for timeline during the interview and not after by emailing panel member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
I'm a little confused.

You had an in person panel interview where in addition to interviewing you were given an exam.

Then after that they decided to do a Skype interview?

Was it the same group of people?

It sounds like on their end they were not on one of those conference phones designed for several people to speak, but an office phone with the speaker button on. Those are not good when you're trying to have more than one person on either end.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 PM

Yes, I took 30 min exam prior to the F2F interview.
2nd Interview - Skype. (well, it could have been F2F but they said it will be Skype because they wouldnt want be to drive 8 hours one way again).
2 members were from 1st group and 1 person that I did not meet.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
Yes, I took 30 min exam prior to the F2F interview.
2nd Interview - Skype. (well, it could have been F2F but they said it will be Skype because they wouldnt want be to drive 8 hours one way again).
2 members were from 1st group and 1 person that I did not meet.
OK. Well that is good that two of the people on this call were in your F2F interview.

I know what you went through as I had interview once from LA to Seattle on the phone, and it was a panel interview and they used someone's office phone and I had to keep saying "excuse me I can't hear you". It was like they were in a tunnel. That is why they should those conference phones that are designed for conference calls.

Very frustrating.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as you already must have done well on the exam and the first interview.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,170 times
I wouldn't worry about it. The job that I just started.... during the interview process, my direct supervisor called my cell phone from his cell phone for a remote interview. Each of us dropped the call at least twice and had to keep calling back. Ahh, technology!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Thank you!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Correction to OP: The phone interview actually lasted 30 minutes. I did not realize it was that long. I think the whole interview consisted of 10% them talking and 90% me talking. Plus the good portion of the interview (about 10%) was spent on questions that I prepared for them.

Don't know.....I have that bad feeling

Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,978 times
You are looking too much into those concerns you listed. It is doubtful any of those harmed your chances. Technical difficulties happen all the time. At least it wasn't on your end. To be honest, if subconsciously you didn't want them to a video of you while you couldn't see a video of them, I think that is understandable.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:37 AM

Thank you... No one called me yet (interview was 8/8). I emailed one of the supervisors to inquire about the timeline but received no response... It's sad how I aced 1st interview and failed second.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search