U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2011, 12:53 PM
 
3,994 posts, read 8,724,794 times
Reputation: 3177

Advertisements

Fortune 500 company. Interviewed last week, went well, filled out some forms because the interviewer said they wanted to run a background check on me.

Get a call today from the gentleman I spoke with saying I passed the background check, and that he wants me to come in tomorrow for a drug test. He wants me to go to the company office first and speak with him, and then go to the drug testing site a few miles from the office.

I am guessing that he is going to make a formal offer contingent on passing the drug test. My question is whether there is any scenario in which a company would drug test you without an offer of employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2011, 01:00 PM
 
424 posts, read 635,310 times
Reputation: 399
It happened to me twice in 1997. I was just out of school and interviewing at newspapers. Two of them tested me during my interview. I later received offers to both, but that was after the fact. I assume they did that with everyone during the interviews, but obviously they didn't extend offers to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,831 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Reputation: 29215
Is there any scenario where you would consider submitting to a drug test without an offer of employment?
I wouldn't.

If you also have no credit history, work history, let alone criminal history issues...
that might imply drug use in your past then I suggest no one else do so either.

After a specific offer is made? with salary and benefits described?
where the formality of a test is an EOE expectation? Reluctantly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,714 posts, read 8,234,498 times
Reputation: 3809
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Is there any scenario where you would consider submitting to a drug test without an offer of employment?
I wouldn't.
If a company has a large pool of candidates and passing a drug test is a requirement for employment, why should they go through the extra work and cost required to make offers (and potentially withdraw them) prior to having the test conducted?

If one wants the job and has no concerns about passing - what's the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM
 
2,282 posts, read 3,121,183 times
Reputation: 1669
I think if you pass the test, you're in, if that's any indication as to your standing. Once you get to that point, it would seem you are one of their top candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 01:55 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,831 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Reputation: 29215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
If one wants the job and has no concerns about passing - what's the big deal?
The "big deal" is the principle involved.
Too many roll over far too easily for this sort of infringement.

As described in the part of my reply you didn't quote...
After a specific offer is made? with salary and benefits described?
where the formality of a test is an EOE expectation? Reluctantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
 
3,994 posts, read 8,724,794 times
Reputation: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
If a company has a large pool of candidates and passing a drug test is a requirement for employment, why should they go through the extra work and cost required to make offers (and potentially withdraw them) prior to having the test conducted?

If one wants the job and has no concerns about passing - what's the big deal?
It is not a big deal to me. I am just wondering whether I have this job in the bag or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Reputation: 52008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
If one wants the job and has no concerns about passing - what's the big deal?
Invasion of privacy, for starters. Wasted time if I'm not offered the job. Possible expense if the employer doesn't cover the cost of the test (at which point I'd be saying 'goodbye!").

If I'm offered the job and its contingent upon my passing a drug test, so be it. But to subject myself with no job offer? Ain't happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Too many roll over far too easily for this sort of infringement.
Yes. The brainwashing of the sheeple is progressing, I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM
 
225 posts, read 995,981 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Fortune 500 company. Interviewed last week, went well, filled out some forms because the interviewer said they wanted to run a background check on me.

Get a call today from the gentleman I spoke with saying I passed the background check, and that he wants me to come in tomorrow for a drug test. He wants me to go to the company office first and speak with him, and then go to the drug testing site a few miles from the office.

I am guessing that he is going to make a formal offer contingent on passing the drug test. My question is whether there is any scenario in which a company would drug test you without an offer of employment?
I had a VP of IT call me from Citicorp because she heard I was unhappy at my present job and wanted me to come in for an interview. I showed up and introduced myself at the reception desk, the receptionist handed me a pee cup and told me "the security guard will accompany you to watch you fill it" and then she will see you. I told her there must be a mistake of some kind, I was only going for an interview. NOPE...if you don't pee in the cup, you can't enter our facility and NO INTERVIEW.

I peed in the cup, got the interview, got an offer and decided it was too much like the position I had now and told them thaks but no thanks. I just didn't get a good feeling in the interview and then the big red flag that is always a good warning sign....they wouldn't allow me to speak to any employees to see how they liked their jobs. Anyway....I believe the fortune 500's are **** testing applicants just to weed out those who can't pass BEFORE the interview so they don't waste their time.

I was surprised to find out from our own corporate HR that they have had more than 50 percent failure rates on drug tests. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 06:31 PM
 
16,785 posts, read 19,628,561 times
Reputation: 33226
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
I had a VP of IT call me from Citicorp because she heard I was unhappy at my present job and wanted me to come in for an interview. I showed up and introduced myself at the reception desk, the receptionist handed me a pee cup and told me "the security guard will accompany you to watch you fill it" and then she will see you. I told her there must be a mistake of some kind, I was only going for an interview. NOPE...if you don't pee in the cup, you can't enter our facility and NO INTERVIEW.

I peed in the cup, got the interview, got an offer and decided it was too much like the position I had now and told them thaks but no thanks. I just didn't get a good feeling in the interview and then the big red flag that is always a good warning sign....they wouldn't allow me to speak to any employees to see how they liked their jobs. Anyway....I believe the fortune 500's are **** testing applicants just to weed out those who can't pass BEFORE the interview so they don't waste their time.

I was surprised to find out from our own corporate HR that they have had more than 50 percent failure rates on drug tests. Wow.

The security guard was going to watch you?

I think at that point I would have said "why stand on ceremony" and done in right in front of her in the lobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top