Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:53 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times

Advertisements

Fortune 500 company. Interviewed last week, went well, filled out some forms because the interviewer said they wanted to run a background check on me.

Get a call today from the gentleman I spoke with saying I passed the background check, and that he wants me to come in tomorrow for a drug test. He wants me to go to the company office first and speak with him, and then go to the drug testing site a few miles from the office.

I am guessing that he is going to make a formal offer contingent on passing the drug test. My question is whether there is any scenario in which a company would drug test you without an offer of employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 01:00 PM

466 posts, read 815,765 times
It happened to me twice in 1997. I was just out of school and interviewing at newspapers. Two of them tested me during my interview. I later received offers to both, but that was after the fact. I assume they did that with everyone during the interviews, but obviously they didn't extend offers to everyone.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Is there any scenario where you would consider submitting to a drug test without an offer of employment?
I wouldn't.

If you also have no credit history, work history, let alone criminal history issues...
that might imply drug use in your past then I suggest no one else do so either.

After a specific offer is made? with salary and benefits described?
where the formality of a test is an EOE expectation? Reluctantly.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:09 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Is there any scenario where you would consider submitting to a drug test without an offer of employment?
I wouldn't.
If a company has a large pool of candidates and passing a drug test is a requirement for employment, why should they go through the extra work and cost required to make offers (and potentially withdraw them) prior to having the test conducted?

If one wants the job and has no concerns about passing - what's the big deal?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times
I think if you pass the test, you're in, if that's any indication as to your standing. Once you get to that point, it would seem you are one of their top candidates.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:55 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
The "big deal" is the principle involved.
Too many roll over far too easily for this sort of infringement.

As described in the part of my reply you didn't quote...
After a specific offer is made? with salary and benefits described?
where the formality of a test is an EOE expectation? Reluctantly.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
If a company has a large pool of candidates and passing a drug test is a requirement for employment, why should they go through the extra work and cost required to make offers (and potentially withdraw them) prior to having the test conducted?

It is not a big deal to me. I am just wondering whether I have this job in the bag or not.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Invasion of privacy, for starters. Wasted time if I'm not offered the job. Possible expense if the employer doesn't cover the cost of the test (at which point I'd be saying 'goodbye!").

If I'm offered the job and its contingent upon my passing a drug test, so be it. But to subject myself with no job offer? Ain't happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Too many roll over far too easily for this sort of infringement.
Yes. The brainwashing of the sheeple is progressing, I see.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Fortune 500 company. Interviewed last week, went well, filled out some forms because the interviewer said they wanted to run a background check on me.

Get a call today from the gentleman I spoke with saying I passed the background check, and that he wants me to come in tomorrow for a drug test. He wants me to go to the company office first and speak with him, and then go to the drug testing site a few miles from the office.

I am guessing that he is going to make a formal offer contingent on passing the drug test. My question is whether there is any scenario in which a company would drug test you without an offer of employment?
I had a VP of IT call me from Citicorp because she heard I was unhappy at my present job and wanted me to come in for an interview. I showed up and introduced myself at the reception desk, the receptionist handed me a pee cup and told me "the security guard will accompany you to watch you fill it" and then she will see you. I told her there must be a mistake of some kind, I was only going for an interview. NOPE...if you don't pee in the cup, you can't enter our facility and NO INTERVIEW.

I peed in the cup, got the interview, got an offer and decided it was too much like the position I had now and told them thaks but no thanks. I just didn't get a good feeling in the interview and then the big red flag that is always a good warning sign....they wouldn't allow me to speak to any employees to see how they liked their jobs. Anyway....I believe the fortune 500's are **** testing applicants just to weed out those who can't pass BEFORE the interview so they don't waste their time.

I was surprised to find out from our own corporate HR that they have had more than 50 percent failure rates on drug tests. Wow.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
I had a VP of IT call me from Citicorp because she heard I was unhappy at my present job and wanted me to come in for an interview. I showed up and introduced myself at the reception desk, the receptionist handed me a pee cup and told me "the security guard will accompany you to watch you fill it" and then she will see you. I told her there must be a mistake of some kind, I was only going for an interview. NOPE...if you don't pee in the cup, you can't enter our facility and NO INTERVIEW.

I peed in the cup, got the interview, got an offer and decided it was too much like the position I had now and told them thaks but no thanks. I just didn't get a good feeling in the interview and then the big red flag that is always a good warning sign....they wouldn't allow me to speak to any employees to see how they liked their jobs. Anyway....I believe the fortune 500's are **** testing applicants just to weed out those who can't pass BEFORE the interview so they don't waste their time.

I was surprised to find out from our own corporate HR that they have had more than 50 percent failure rates on drug tests. Wow.

The security guard was going to watch you?

I think at that point I would have said "why stand on ceremony" and done in right in front of her in the lobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search