Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM

254 posts, read 807,718 times

Advertisements

I have an interview next week for a start up company that makes Lithium Batteries. They have been in business since 2004. They risked going under a couple years back but seem to have regained their footing and have been doing much better. My question is, does anyone know the risks I should consider with a start up company? How can I find out if it's moving in the right direction? I don't want to leave my current position for one that may or may not be there in 5 years. I'm 49 yrs old and single. I'm afraid of being risky at this stage in my life. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:39 PM

6,563 posts, read 11,210,984 times
Just my .02.

I guess you want to focus your questions on the company's finances (are they getting angle funding - this may give you a hint at its potential value) as well as their business forecasts. Who their customers are, etc. I'd also ask what has changed since the new management took over, as well as get a good feel of the current employee culture. If the turnover is high.. I'd see that as a real issue.

Since its most likely a private company - they really don't need to disclose anything to you. So a lot of that would be on gut feeling. i.e. if you ask and they seem defensive - red flag.

The other side would be what opportunities you may have with this new company. The appeal of start-ups is that you have a lot more avenues to gain valuable experience. If you play your cards right, two years at a start-up can be as engaging as 4-5 years at other places. You also have the opportunity to work more closely with the executives - which may open up doors as well.

Just be carefully which doors you go through. I worked at a start-up, left with the COO who was starting his own firm. Unfortunately for me, the new firm closed its doors after 2 years (although 9/11 was a factor). The original firm...still around. But to this day, I still have those contacts and have received some leads for opportunities (both job wise, and business wise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search