Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Philly must be a nice city, if the only place you can find drunks is on the subway. Like most commuters, you can read while you're on the subway, and you'll hardly notice the drunks. Maybe you should go into the Philly forum, and ask the subways riders how they deal with all the drunks, while commuting to and from work.

You would rather pay a higher fare to ride a train with a limited schedule and risk being late for work, than take the subway that might have drunks riding with you.
the other problem with the subway is I still have to get on another bus after I get off. So if the subway was the only thing I had the catch then I would deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,983,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
the other problem with the subway is I still have to get on another bus after I get off. So if the subway was the only thing I had the catch then I would deal with it.
Do you have to catch a bus to work when you get off the train or is the train station walking distance from the job?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Do you have to catch a bus to work when you get off the train or is the train station walking distance from the job?
the train station is down the street from the job

Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
the train station is down the street from the job
How long would the bus ride to your job if you take the subway? Is the subway station walkable from your home?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Have you had these transportation dilemmas and phobias all your working life or is this something relatively new?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
How long would the bus ride to your job if you take the subway? Is the subway station walkable from your home?
No the subway station is 9 blocks away from my apt. The Bus ride after the subway is like 10 or 15 mins

Old 09-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
No the subway station is 9 blocks away from my apt. The Bus ride after the subway is like 10 or 15 mins
So when it's all said and done, the commuter train is quicker as long as you catch it on time? At least you have more than one option of getting to and from work and could even use the subway when the train isn't operating.

One thing you might ask yourself is whether the time saved by taking the commuter train justifies the extra expense of using it versus the subway/bus combo. If you are saving 30 minutes or less, then it may not be worth the added expense. I take commuter rail only because that's my only option of getting to and from work but I would be more than happy to take our subway/rail line as it would save me at least 100+ per month in commuting costs. Something to think about...

Last edited by Chatteress; 09-15-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 11:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
I was 12 years old when I made that 45 minute train trip every day to go to school, and did it for two years. Never mind the subsequent years during which I navigated city public transportation networks of subways and buses to get me back and forth for work. Obviously hundreds of thousands do it every day without making any kind of a dramatic production out of it. I find it inconceivable if not truly bizarre that any 36 year old living in a seething metropolis apparently has so much difficulty and angst involved in getting around - and on his home turf to boot. You should view it positively, TVSG, as something new to learn which may broaden your horizons just a little. Gor blimey!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
So when it's all said and done, the commuter train is quicker as long as you catch it on time? At least you have more than one option of getting to and from work and could even use the subway when the train isn't operating.

One thing you might ask yourself is whether the time saved by taking the commuter train justifies the extra expense of using it versus the subway/bus combo. If you are saving 30 minutes or less, then it may not be worth the added expense. I take commuter rail only because that's my only option of getting to and from work but I would be more than happy to take our subway/rail line as it would save me at least 100+ per month in commuting costs. Something to think about...
it's not that expensive since my stop is within the city

Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,821,517 times
Well hope you have had a productive week, TVSG. How did your first week go??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search