Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times

Advertisements

Go self employed. Start by selling the list you made. You can build a web site with information for people with convictions looking for a job. I think at about 10th grade schools should teach kids about consequences of breaking the law especially getting a felony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Time heals a LOT of wounds......

Old 03-04-2014, 04:27 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I could have sworn felony convictions can't ever be expunged. Or am I wrong on this?
Depends on the felony and the state.

If it's federal.. No chance. There are a couple of bills that get put before congress every few years to allow expungement in the federal system, but.. they haven't gotten any real traction.

A state charge.. Depends on your state and what the charge was.

It is not impossible for someone with a felony to find a job. It's more difficult, certainly.. And, we've had this argument in another thread.. The age of the felony, and the age of the person when committing it should be taken into account.

Someone in another thread mentioned that the recidivism rate was down towards 1% or something for someone who had been out (Meaning past the felony) for 3 years or more.. Which seems to be better than the general population.. So, the argument could be made that if you find someone applying for a job who committed a felony more than 3 years ago, they have less chance of being convicted of another crime than Joe Q Public who might be applying for the job.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
So the takeaway is ................... if you are a convicted felon with a good background..............good luck it will take you over 3 years to find a decent job as opposed to 1 to 1.5 for no convicts. That about cover it.

I am glad you found a job you like.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 714 times
rosie_hair

Some states allow you to expunge a felony. Usually there is a time constraint but there are several states that will not make it public record after a certain amount of time. Some states such as Iowa are very harsh about it. In Iowa all criminal backgrounds are public knowledge and free. All felonies will remain on your record forever with absolutely no chance of getting rid of it. Even a governors pardon will not expunge the felony. If you get pardoned by the governor of Iowa there is a note put on the background report next to the crime with a star that signs this offense has been pardoned. Employers see this and don't give a hoot about the pardon and still will not hire. In Iowa most job postings say "must pass background check." One of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard. Its not a pass or fail because everyones situation is different. In my case I received a felony for criminal mischief when I was 18. I vandalized something that was over $10K. I never went to prison or anything like that but I still have the felony. I joined the Marine Corps in 2008 and I'm still in. I have a bachelor's degree and an MBA. I have a credit score over 750 and I've never been in trouble since then, which was 2001. I am now honorably discharging from the military and I can't find a job anywhere because of the felony on my record. I even have a SECRET security clearance for the Federal government but I can't find a job in Iowa. I don't understand why the judicial system wonders why crime rate in this country is so high. I know why its so high. Its because criminals, after they pay their debt to society, are still punished for the rest of their lives and can't find employment. This requires them to obtain money in another way. This is the norm for the average population. I will not resort to this though. Luckily I was able to support my wife and kids on my military salary while my wife went to school and became a registered nurse otherwise I don't know what we would do.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:48 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,111,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfischer1 View Post
rosie_hair

Some states allow you to expunge a felony. Usually there is a time constraint but there are several states that will not make it public record after a certain amount of time. Some states such as Iowa are very harsh about it. In Iowa all criminal backgrounds are public knowledge and free. All felonies will remain on your record forever with absolutely no chance of getting rid of it. Even a governors pardon will not expunge the felony. If you get pardoned by the governor of Iowa there is a note put on the background report next to the crime with a star that signs this offense has been pardoned. Employers see this and don't give a hoot about the pardon and still will not hire. In Iowa most job postings say "must pass background check." One of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard. Its not a pass or fail because everyones situation is different. In my case I received a felony for criminal mischief when I was 18. I vandalized something that was over $10K. I never went to prison or anything like that but I still have the felony. I joined the Marine Corps in 2008 and I'm still in. I have a bachelor's degree and an MBA. I have a credit score over 750 and I've never been in trouble since then, which was 2001. I am now honorably discharging from the military and I can't find a job anywhere because of the felony on my record. I even have a SECRET security clearance for the Federal government but I can't find a job in Iowa. I don't understand why the judicial system wonders why crime rate in this country is so high. I know why its so high. Its because criminals, after they pay their debt to society, are still punished for the rest of their lives and can't find employment. This requires them to obtain money in another way. This is the norm for the average population. I will not resort to this though. Luckily I was able to support my wife and kids on my military salary while my wife went to school and became a registered nurse otherwise I don't know what we would do.
It's one of those things that make absolutely no sense but we as a society has gotten so used to it that nobody wants to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search