Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,886 times

Advertisements

Howdy Ladies and Gentlemen,

I was working for unit A of company X up until 06/10 when unit B (of X) offered me a job which I accepted. I worked for B up until 07/11 when I was laid off. Now unit A has made me an offer for a temp (6 month) job at same pay rate as what B was paying - I had asked to be paid closer to market when they called me into the office to discuss - which is like 20-25 % higher but it has not happened. Also, this job is in the NorthEast - and my wife moved to the Mid West a couple of months ago to start grad school. I would like to join her ASAP but since I have been working in Financial Services IT, I figured it would be much easier for me to find a job in the TriState area first and then look for something in the Mid West.

I am in the final round of interviewing at 2 other places for fulltime positions - and I know both will pay more fairly than my previous employer. One interview is Monday - the other one is not yet decided since the senior manager had a death in his family last week.

What advice can you offer me considering my situation ?

What all can I negotiate with company X ? How much time is reasonable to ask for to consider the offer - so I can see if the other 2 firms make me an offer ? Having been in that team before, I am apprehensive of the work load they will send my way. This temp position is to convert a system for one particular client, but the manager of the team already told me during our meeting last week that I need to be ready to work on projects for all clients. The same thing was happening when I was in that team as a permanent employee. He does not know I am being hired as a temp - and I am afraid of ending up in a position where I get a tonne of work at a low pay and have to stay away from my wife for an extended period - and my move to rejoin her gets delayed.

I have no loyalty left for this company (since they laid me off 2.5 months ago after me consistently working hard and getting projects completed ahead of time for more than 8 years). I don't have any other offers yet - so I'm thinking will have to accept this one if I don't get anything from the other two firms I am talking to. I do however want to be able to leave them as soon as I find something in the mid west to join my wife - can a temp offer include a requirement to work for a certain period of time - in my case, would it mean I would not be able to leave them before 6 months ?

Please share your thoughts.

Your advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 04:29 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
You know your field better than I do. However; you do not mention if there is any work in your field close to your wife? Have you looked?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You know your field better than I do. However; you do not mention if there is any work in your field close to your wife? Have you looked?
That would be my question. You're going to be interviewing for full time positions in the Northeast, so you would still be apart from your wife.

In regards to the temporary position, you can always start it and after you interview(you said one is on Monday) for the full time position, quit if the full time position is offered.

I wouldn't give it a second thought about leaving a company that laid you off and is now offering you a temporary job at much lower pay for a full time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search