U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 AM

542 posts, read 1,756,983 times

Advertisements

Sooo I send my resume for a job at 8:03am Wed. morning. I get an email response from the company at 8:09am asking if I'm available for a phone interview at 8:45am. I'm like Hellz Yeaaah! lol <of course I didn't say it that way lol>

So I get the call at 8:45am and have a phone interview. I think I NAILED IT ... and I don't think I'm just imagining that fact. The lady who interviewed me is the head of the department and would be my direct boss. Throughout the course of the interview she says "we are really looking for someone with your enthusiasm" then at the end she's like "I'm going to check the CFO's schedule so we can get you in here because the next step is an in person interview with the both of us". Soooo needless to say I was pretty confident about things when we hung up. So I wait about an hour then send a Thank You for phone interview email.

Friday comes and no call or email from her ... so I follow up with a phone call. NOW ... I'm thinking THIS wasn't my best idea but at the time I was thinking it was. So I get her on the phone and she sounds kind of surprised when I say my name. Slight pause ... then she's like I've been soooo busy I haven't had a chance to do anything. As soon as I hear something I will let you know. Which made me feel LESS confident...

As I'm looking for jobs this morning I see the job re-posted with a new "earlier" start date.

Soooooo I'm STILL trying to stay positive but it's kind of difficult at this point. Is this the old "We're just not that into you" orrrrr could it be that she's trying to find more people so she can have several people ready to interview whenever the CFO is free???

Trying to keep hope alive but I feel that it's NOT looking good for this one .... lol

NOTE: I'm 1000% qualified for the position, it's like they took the positions details directly from my resume!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 AM

441 posts, read 1,134,266 times
Enthusiasm is good but don't let it cloud reality. She "encouraged" you by making a connection to this enthusiasm and it went straight to your endorphins. She may have really thought you were annoying. But that's only one of a zillion possibilities. She could have called the CFO and he could have just vetoed you for no reason and said to repost. I don't think you did anything wrong by calling but obviously, the interview and reality are two different dimensions. It also could mean they really weren't hiring anyone, just keeping in practice or that the ad doesn't exclude you yet. But it's a good hint.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM

147 posts, read 276,101 times
I am one of those people who will do a zillion things wrong without knowledge of any 1 of them. On your end it might seemed to have gone extremely well, but that does not mean it went well for them (i.e. - you sound enthusiastic and qualified for the job, but are you TOO enthusiastic and qualified for their salary range?)

My 2 cents is...don't put all your eggs in one basket; keep searching and applying until you get a physical letter of offer from someone.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
It could also be that in the end they wanted ore candidates for the inperso interviews aort to choose from

Old 10-17-2011, 06:12 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,094,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
Throughout the course of the interview she says "we are really looking for someone with your enthusiasm"
I once had a phone interview where the interviewer/founder of the company kept telling me that she loved my personality. I didn't end up getting the job, but never stopped applying, so it wasn't a big deal because I had other options lined up.

Bottom line, as much as you think an interview went amazing, there is always a chance of it not working out in your favor, thus you should never stop job hunting until you have a job offer in hand.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM

1,249 posts, read 3,687,330 times
Quote:
Sooo I send my resume for a job at 8:03am Wed. morning. I get an email response from the company at 8:09am asking if I'm available for a phone interview at 8:45am. I'm like Hellz Yeaaah! lol <of course I didn't say it that way lol>

So I get the call at 8:45am and have a phone interview. I think I NAILED IT ... and I don't think I'm just imagining that fact. The lady who interviewed me is the head of the department and would be my direct boss. Throughout the course of the interview she says "we are really looking for someone with your enthusiasm" then at the end she's like "I'm going to check the CFO's schedule so we can get you in here because the next step is an in person interview with the both of us". Soooo needless to say I was pretty confident about things when we hung up. So I wait about an hour then send a Thank You for phone interview email.

Friday comes and no call or email from her ... so I follow up with a phone call. NOW ... I'm thinking THIS wasn't my best idea but at the time I was thinking it was. So I get her on the phone and she sounds kind of surprised when I say my name. Slight pause ... then she's like I've been soooo busy I haven't had a chance to do anything. As soon as I hear something I will let you know. Which made me feel LESS confident...

As I'm looking for jobs this morning I see the job re-posted with a new "earlier" start date.

Soooooo I'm STILL trying to stay positive but it's kind of difficult at this point. Is this the old "We're just not that into you" orrrrr could it be that she's trying to find more people so she can have several people ready to interview whenever the CFO is free???

Trying to keep hope alive but I feel that it's NOT looking good for this one .... lol

NOTE: I'm 1000% qualified for the position, it's like they took the positions details directly from my resume!
She is or was giving you a subtle message with the "As soon as I hear something I will let you know" really means "Don't call us we will call you". They could have like the next person or 3rd or 4th person they spoke to after you better. And of course there are those 'red flags' that may have chilled their feet if they took another glance at your Resume such as "If you moved around too much", "any unexplained gaps in employment", someone may have poisoned their opinion of you etc..

Old 10-17-2011, 06:50 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Quote:

It was no need for you to call since there wasn't a face to face interview scheduled. Most companies want you to take the hint and move on.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,854 posts, read 54,552,867 times
That normally means they didn't interview anyone they liked enough to hire and want to try and get more people in to consider. Based on her reaction I'd guess that you are out of the running, but there is that slight chance that no one better will come along and they could call you for the next step. We extended our last opening because of the 15 applicants none really had the skills and experience we wanted, and now 3 days later we are up to 25. We did this prior to interviews this time, but we have in the past extended or re-opened after interviews. We really want someone that can do the work, not just the best of those that applied. Especially with so many people out of work these days. How far way are you from that job/ phone interviews are always a disadvantage compared to in-person.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,104,876 times
Looks like this one didn't work out.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 AM

6,380 posts, read 10,703,833 times
1) Calling after 2-3 days to follow up was not a bad thing despite what some others might think. You were not being rude or aggressive, you were simply following up because you were interested in the job which is a good thing. They will not disqualify you for this but if they tell you either that time or later on that they decided to pursue other candidates, it would not be because you called them to check. If they were going to call you in for an in-person interview, they would have done so whether you called them to follow-up or not. At least by calling and trying to get their true feelings, you eliminate the waiting and wandering phase which I hate the most.

As a side note, to this date, I have been passed on on all the job interviews that I thought went excellent or at least really good. For those where I felt uncertain or iffy, I called back in again and in some cases actually got the job. Remember, there is a very fine line between sounding enthusiastic and sounding desperate.
Try to get as much interviews as possible (phone and in-person) even for the jobs/companies you know you wouldn't want regardless that way you practice and improve your interviewing skills and when a desired opportunity comes up, you have a better chance of nailing it. Use a sound/voice recorder to record your interviews then review them to evaluate your own performance!

I thought the following article might be of some help too:

Quote:
20 Ways to Blow an Interview
(without even realizing it)
You’ve got the skills. You’ve got the experience. You thought you answered all the questions perfectly. But you didn’t get a job offer or callback for a second interview. What went wrong? You’ve been over it a dozen times and don’t have a clue.
Guess what? According to people who regularly conduct interviews, behaviors and attitudes you might never suspect often torpedo a job applicant’s chances.
Like what, you ask? Check out the items on the following list. Could any of them be shooting down your opportunities?

• Arrives late for interview
  • Limp, fishy handshake
  • Doesn’t look interviewer in the eye
  • Messy application form
  • Poor appearance and grooming, inappropriate clothes
  • Too interested in salary and benefits
  • Doesn’t speak clearly; uses bad grammar; slang, etc.
  • Puts down past boss or bosses
  • No clear career goals
  • Lack of enthusiasm
  • Negative or sarcastic attitude
  • No knowledge of company or industry
  • Makes excuses when asked about questionable aspects of employment history
  • No sense of humor
  • Lacks outside interests
  • Can’t handle criticism
  • Obviously nervous; too little basic confidence
  • Know-it-all attitude; big ego; too much emphasis on I and me
  • Doesn’t ask questions about the job
  • Poor manners; lacks courtesy—for example, does not thank interviewer for her/his time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or