Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
after awhile i get completely nausiated by searching for jobs online, filling out the online apps and the detailed work history and so forth. Day after day it just becomes such an unpleasant process. I have to detach from it and play games in my mind to remain focused and determined, otherwise i could see how people just stop looking.
start doing this

10% applying

40% researching

50% networking

Try not to make a habit of applying to jobs everyday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 03:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Companys don't respond in the negative for fear of lawsuits.

???

Companies say "no" all of the time to potential candidates, there is no "fear of lawsuits" over saying "no." This will be, however, a likely reason why they won't give you a specific reason, and say nothing more than no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I agree 100%

If their not interested, I really wish they'd just let us know. I know that may be asking a lot, but it's so frustrating when you hear NOTHING. It especially irritates me when I'll do a follow-up email like 2 weeks after applying and still hear nothing. Common courtesy has gone out the window.
Agreed 100% as well.

Unfortunately, so many companies, especially those in areas like retail, are so flooded by resumes these days that I can understand where some simply do not have the resources to respond individually to each and every applicant. Although (on the flip side) I don't think its that hard to set up a program to at least send an automated "thanks, but you do not fit our criteria at this time" e-mail to those who go into the "no" pile.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
???

Companies say "no" all of the time to potential candidates, there is no "fear of lawsuits" over saying "no." This will be, however, a likely reason why they won't give you a specific reason, and say nothing more than no.

Agreed 100% as well.

Unfortunately, so many companies, especially those in areas like retail, are so flooded by resumes these days that I can understand where some simply do not have the resources to respond individually to each and every applicant. Although (on the flip side) I don't think its that hard to set up a program to at least send an automated "thanks, but you do not fit our criteria at this time" e-mail to those who go into the "no" pile.

I understand not being able to respond to every applicant who sends in a resume/ fills out an application BUT no response after an interview especially when you spend 2 or 3 hours (or longer) at an interview with a company is just plain rude.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
start doing this

10% applying

40% researching

50% networking

Try not to make a habit of applying to jobs everyday
I found a job in two weeks after my last layoff. Had I followed your advice, who knows where I would be today, but I doubt I would be employed. I would highly advise that anyone reading ignore TV$SG job searching advice.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I found a job in two weeks after my last layoff. Had I followed your advice, who knows where I would be today, but I doubt I would be employed. I would highly advise that anyone reading ignore TV$SG job searching advice.
Maybe you applied to the right job?????????????????? I still don't encouraged applying to a 100 jobs a week, not productive at all

Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,571 times
Stop whining, suck it up and apply. The more jobs you apply to the greater the chances of you landing a job. It's a numbers game, complaing about online apps will only hurt your cause. I applied to 400 jobs in 5 months before landing a job. I made it a point everyday to apply to at least 10 jobs. If you're unemployed with no income, what else better do you have to do with your time??

Any notable achievement isn't easy. Graduating college, landing a job, getting in shape, starting a business all takes hard work that isn't glamorous nor fun but we do it to achieve a bigger goal.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,432 times
I'm tired of not working, second guessing myself, filling out apps just to maintain UI, not interviewing, coming up with good ideas that won't make me any money, having only one thing to talk about and getting depressed and then being ecstatic when I get any sort of lead. However, I think the search is different for everyone.

Networking is great if you know exactly what you want to do and follow the "personal brand" mentality. I guess everyone else does play the numbers game but 10 per day still seems like an extreme number of jobs to be qualified for.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
I am finding the job search to be exhausting. I am tired. Tired of financial issues. Tired of the pressure. I am exhausted. Exhausted from dealing with employers who won't hire you because you don't have 40 years of experience or the ones who think you will leave because they are too cheap to pay more than $6.00 an hour. I am so tired that I fell asleep at the wheel because I stay up all night worrying about my job search and money issues.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM

380 posts, read 795,357 times
Suggestions...(I got a job about 3 weeks after graduating/Started applying for jobs while I was still employed and got hired after 3 months in a field which is my career path).

You have to beat the system:
You have to be very organized...
THE TEDIOUS APPLICATION PROCESS:

1.) Create your resume. Save it on every computer you have access to or to a flash drive. This way you can apply on any computer anywhere (home, laptop, work, library wherever).

2.) Create and email account specifically for the application process. This way nothing will get lost. You wont feel obligated to delete things, and any junk mail you recieve will not be flooding your normal inbox.

3.) Create a word doc that splits your resume. This way any time you apply and have trouble uploading, you can have your resume sectioned off into the appropriate boxes-as all sites tend to ask the same information. Phone number, address, work exp etc should all be highly organized so you can copy and paste quickly.

4.) Have one username and password set up and saved in the same word doc so you don’t have to keep re-inventing the wheel.

5.) Apply for as many positions as you can. The job I ended up getting required 3-5 years of experience and I had none. They came back to me after I had taken a short 4-week class in that area and set up an interview. Even if you are under qualified, if you have some experience it is worth applying for.

I would probably apply for about 20-40 jobs a day. (Yes mostly while I was at work-computers/internet were obviously not monitored and I still got my work done simultaneously).

Old 11-08-2011, 03:59 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky86 View Post
Suggestions...(I got a job about 3 weeks after graduating/Started applying for jobs while I was still employed and got hired after 3 months in a field which is my career path).

You have to beat the system:
You have to be very organized...
THE TEDIOUS APPLICATION PROCESS:

1.) Create your resume. Save it on every computer you have access to or to a flash drive. This way you can apply on any computer anywhere (home, laptop, work, library wherever).

2.) Create and email account specifically for the application process. This way nothing will get lost. You wont feel obligated to delete things, and any junk mail you recieve will not be flooding your normal inbox.

3.) Create a word doc that splits your resume. This way any time you apply and have trouble uploading, you can have your resume sectioned off into the appropriate boxes-as all sites tend to ask the same information. Phone number, address, work exp etc should all be highly organized so you can copy and paste quickly.

4.) Have one username and password set up and saved in the same word doc so you don’t have to keep re-inventing the wheel.

5.) Apply for as many positions as you can. The job I ended up getting required 3-5 years of experience and I had none. They came back to me after I had taken a short 4-week class in that area and set up an interview. Even if you are under qualified, if you have some experience it is worth applying for.

I would probably apply for about 20-40 jobs a day. (Yes mostly while I was at work-computers/internet were obviously not monitored and I still got my work done simultaneously).

you were not qualified for 20 to 40 jobs a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search