Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,679,251 times

Advertisements

At our agency we can do internal only if we are aware of qualified, interested internal candidates. If not we open it to the public and any internal people must compete with external. At that point no preference is given to current employees, their chance is the same as the others. We have had 3 openings recently where outside candidates were selected over internal. They were simply better qualified.

If we had someone in mind we'd never go to the trouble and expense of opening it to the outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,631,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Read the last paragraph of post #4. I can guarantee with absolute certainty that most of the jobs I've applied for I either meet or exceed ALL of the required minimum prerequisites for the job. In several cases, I have met or exceeded ALL the preferred requirements for applicants. I don't just apply for anything and everything. I apply for jobs that fall into my niche of either academics or experience.

As far as saying "no intention", I am beginning to firmly believe that companies are forced to post job openings externally by their corporate, yet at the local level, they already have the candidate they want to fill the position ready to go without any outside consideration.

The bottom line is this - many of the jobs I have applied for should warrant at least the benefit of an interview. With many of these jobs, I would like to know what experience the person who got the job actually has that rules me out of consideration for even an interview. Of course, you can never get this information. In most cases, it takes an act of God just to talk to a human being anymore.

Looking at your Bio, maybe you could DM me and help me out. I would be grateful. Thanks.
Most employers would prefer to grow their own employee pool. Moving employees up the ranks or through promotions builds morale and is sometimes less costly.

With that said, you can't hire only internal folks for all jobs-- and hiring externally brings benefits too.

Keep in mind, you are no longer in an employees market. Just because you meet the minimum or preferred requirements may make you get put into the pile to look at-- but those requirements met end up becoming the very bare minimum when everyone else in your stack meets the same requirements.

I think of this as the high school diploma. Most jobs may not REALLY need a college degree, but because the preferred applicant pool may already have a Bachelors-- the bachelors becomes the almost minimum requirement even if it is not stated.

So in your case-- you may meet the minimum and preferred requirements-- probably like 90% of the other people who also applied for the same position. Then the hiring manager begins looking at what other skills people bring to the table-- and you may no longer be the most viable candidate and considering that most hiring managers just want to get someone hired and get finished with interviewing-- they are not going to interview everyone who has met the minimum requirements or even the "new" minimum requirements. They are going to choose to them what looks like the best subgroup, set up those interviews and hire from that pool.

My advice-- is you have to play the numbers game as well. Apply to as much as you can that makes sense with your background and leverage your network and bridge newer networks.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,525,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Read the last paragraph of post #4. I can guarantee with absolute certainty that most of the jobs I've applied for I either meet or exceed ALL of the required minimum prerequisites for the job. In several cases, I have met or exceeded ALL the preferred requirements for applicants. I don't just apply for anything and everything. I apply for jobs that fall into my niche of either academics or experience.

As far as saying "no intention", I am beginning to firmly believe that companies are forced to post job openings externally by their corporate, yet at the local level, they already have the candidate they want to fill the position ready to go without any outside consideration.

The bottom line is this - many of the jobs I have applied for should warrant at least the benefit of an interview. With many of these jobs, I would like to know what experience the person who got the job actually has that rules me out of consideration for even an interview. Of course, you can never get this information. In most cases, it takes an act of God just to talk to a human being anymore.

Looking at your Bio, maybe you could DM me and help me out. I would be grateful. Thanks.
I do agree that companies are sometimes forced to post jobs to the general public; however, the intention is not "put up a show" rather to find the best candidate. I don't disagree that sometimes a show may happen. If you talk to the upper management, the intention is always to find the best candidate for the job - remember company is to make money not to run charity.

Whether or not you feel you meet the requirement really doesn't matter because you are not the one making decisions. The company's hiring managers and HR are. It matters what they think about you. The job description is just one aspect, and there are many other aspects or decision factors not listed in the job description. :-)

Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,396,908 times
Default exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I do agree that companies are sometimes forced to post jobs to the general public; however, the intention is not "put up a show" rather to find the best candidate. I don't disagree that sometimes a show may happen. If you talk to the upper management, the intention is always to find the best candidate for the job - remember company is to make money not to run charity.

Whether or not you feel you meet the requirement really doesn't matter because you are not the one making decisions. The company's hiring managers and HR are. It matters what they think about you. The job description is just one aspect, and there are many other aspects or decision factors not listed in the job description. :-)
Such as 'who are you related to in our company' and 'who do you know'... it's a sad world...qualifications mean little or nothing. It's all in who you know or who you are related to. Scream all you want, folks, but you know it's the truth.
Koale

Old 11-15-2011, 07:41 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,525,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Such as 'who are you related to in our company' and 'who do you know'... it's a sad world...qualifications mean little or nothing. It's all in who you know or who you are related to. Scream all you want, folks, but you know it's the truth.
Koale
Some cases, yes, but in majority of the cases, no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search