Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Forget your father's suit for the interview.
Get a new suit and have it tailored to fit you.
Charcoal gray or navy are the best colors for interviews.
Every man over age 22 should own at least one decent suit that fits him well.
Gray is the ideal color as it can be worn for just about every purpose (aside from work) from weddings to funerals.
Have a good white shirt and tie as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:08 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
OK everyone thanks for all the advice. I just bought my suit from Macys. Although it was expensive, I hope to keep it for the rest of my life as long as I don't gain a ton of weight. I chose a grayish color with pinstripes. I cringed at the price, although it was probably average for a suit from Macy, (I'm such a cheapskape).

I've been practicing for the interview using tips found on the web but I know my interviewing skills are rusty. But I'm just going in there with confidence and a positive attitude . . . . and a little prayer.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:00 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I have an interview lined up next week in the Seattle area for an accountant position. I'm in Hawaii so a suit and tie is rarely needed, we usually just wear aloha shirts. Should I wear a business suit and tie or is just a dress shirt and tie sufficient? I won't be interviewing for a management position or anything, probably just a staff level or possible senior accountant position.

Any thoughts anyone? I'd appreciate any input.
Yeah man, a suit and tie for sure. You can dress like Jimmy Buffet when you make it to partner.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ron.; 11-29-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 04:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
A couple of years ago I interviewed at a place in business casual. Their corporate website mentioned that "business casual is an important part of their culture" and my interviewers dressed this way. I think I answered their questions very well, but I got almost an immediate rejection letter. Was not dressing up a factor in this? It could have been, and wearing a suit certainly wouldn't have hurt my case. Although this company wears bc at the workplace, if they had an important meeting with a conservative client you'd better believe they'd all be dressed up.

The company that I just got an offer from is also business casual. However, this time I wore the suit

P.S. Unless you're a rare natural, the only way to get good at interviewing is practice. Now, I don't mean in front of a mirror. I mean actually interviewing for jobs. Sure, you probably won't do well at first but things will click after 2-3 of them. Since you really want this job, it's not really an option though. When you get to the office, be super friendly with the administrative assistant and engage in lots of small talk if he/she is not busy. This will help with the nerves.
I have gone on job interviews where I am much better dressed than the female interviewer. I don't care when it's with an agency person, but it feels awkward when it's with the company ... but I can't help it if she doesn't wear/have good clothes/shoes and she's been there a million years and feels comfortable that way. I still think it's better to dress "above" what you would usually wear for work when interviewing.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
OK everyone thanks for all the advice. I just bought my suit from Macys. Although it was expensive, I hope to keep it for the rest of my life as long as I don't gain a ton of weight. I chose a grayish color with pinstripes. I cringed at the price, although it was probably average for a suit from Macy, (I'm such a cheapskape).

I've been practicing for the interview using tips found on the web but I know my interviewing skills are rusty. But I'm just going in there with confidence and a positive attitude . . . . and a little prayer.
Glad you got a new suit!

Best of luck!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,380 times
I'm a female and I always wear pant suits to any professional positions that I applied to including my current one. I dress considerably down now because it's winter and as a female, I could get away with showing up at the office with fluffy cowled neck sweaters while my male coworkers dress in their usual oxford.

Almost all places that I interviewed at both small and large have business casual dress codes at the office. At my previous firm, we change to business formal only when we're out doing audits. Dressing up a notch for the interview show that you have respect for the interviewers and that you can be presentable if you have to be out dealing with clients, auditors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search