Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 AM

114 posts, read 495,272 times

Advertisements

I dont suppose usernames or real life names are being searched on the internet by employers?

I got a good habit of using the same usernames all the time, what user names I do use may not be pretty in regards to the internet where I have done my fair share of chewing peoples asses out.

Ironically this is the first site I have used in which I have registered a username thats unique from the same 1-2 I have always used.

If so, then I need to change my method of how I register to apply for jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 10:49 AM

114 posts, read 495,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I ordered a Lexis Nexis report, and it just came yesterday. I was amazed to find that they have no history on me at all. I guess I don't exist....
I kind of got that problem to where alot of companies and places dont even see me in any data bases even after giving the SOcial Security number to them.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times
I ordered one from Lexis Nexis as well...the company they "attempted" to verify NEVER returned their phone calls. So, I suppose that will show up as a red flag because it can't be verified.

Another "leading" background check company called me and said they couldn't verify information on my application. I said the companies were now closed. The company wanted me to fax in all kinds of private items to "prove" that I worked for these companies. That is sort of their job isn't it? I would not fax in bank statements, tax returns, W2's, etc within the required 24 hours.

Another company I applied to used a non-us based background check company and they claimed I had lived in Germany. Sorry, never been there, but I suppose having a German last name might suggest that.

I think these companies need to be stopped and have HR going back to doing their job. Employee screening should be done by the company not a 3rd party. Companies really do need to stop treating applicants guilty until proven innocent. But, I guess these days are long since gone.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM

39 posts, read 156,585 times
I applied to some private security company...I was told that I will be called for an orientation after they conduct a background check...

They said that the process will take 10 business days. The problem is 10 days have passed.

I don't know what is going on. I did call and the lady again told me about taking 10 business days...

I was honestly excited about getting the position. But, now, I don't feel the excitement. For some reason, I think they decided not to hire me after all...

There is nothing "damaging" in my background...

I have decided to apply to other jobs, assuming that this job is not going to work out...

Old 11-21-2021, 11:50 PM

6 posts, read 9,792 times
It depends on the gravity of the issue. If it's a small discrepancy, then we ask for the clarification from the candidate. But if it's a serious issue/ big discrepancies, we reject the candidate.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:39 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimesub View Post
I applied to some private security company...I was told that I will be called for an orientation after they conduct a background check...

They said that the process will take 10 business days. The problem is 10 days have passed.

I think you are confused.

10 business days is not the same as 10 days.

Business days are Monday through friday EXCEPT for holidays and weekends. So 10 business days is more like 2 weeks MINIMUM.

Quote:
I don't know what is going on. I did call and the lady again told me about taking 10 business days...

I was honestly excited about getting the position. But, now, I don't feel the excitement. For some reason, I think they decided not to hire me after all...

There is nothing "damaging" in my background...

I have decided to apply to other jobs, assuming that this job is not going to work out...
Be patient.

Also, 10 business days really means 3 weeks minimum. Chill and continue your job search.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 2,364 times
if the company has hired a lousy background check service then there can be such incidents but of course most firms would ask you for an explanation of an opportunity to justify the issue.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:06 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Hi.

Has anyone ever been denied employment or had to deal with inaccurate information from a background check? I saw a report on me and it was entirely inaccurate. The company was cool and asked me about it and it was easy to refute, but i wonder how many times incorrect info surfaces and punitive actions are taken without the candidate knowing about it.
By the time an employer wants to do a background check on an applicant, they are intending to hire them. So they have already invested time and effort in the hiring process, so they don't want to lose someone over misinformation. So if your put down information that doesn't verify they come back to you so it can be corrected. At that point, it would be entirely inefficient to discard an applicant and re-start the process because things don't match perfectly. People copy/paste and then forget to edit something like dates, and that would cause them to ask for it to be corrected.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:11 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot474 View Post
I dont suppose usernames or real life names are being searched on the internet by employers?
There would be no reason for them to waste time doing that. First of all, they have no guarantee they would be viewing anything from the same or right person, because every platform allows for whatever username you wish to create. Better companies wouldn't spend time doing this because there is nothing to be gained by looking at this information. And there is no link between background checks and accounts on the internet, that's something on fictional TV shows and movies to make it easier for the writer to move the plot along more quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search