U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 06:05 PM

6,209 posts, read 6,588,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
All the ground crew at Reagan National are foreign, I would guess 70% from Ethiopia.
To trust someone who is making ten bucks an hour to fuel jets in a region that one could not afford to purchase enough food in a month to survive let alone anything else is beyond me. And all this in a high security airport.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 PM

10,723 posts, read 20,156,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
To trust someone who is making ten bucks an hour to fuel jets in a region that one could not afford to purchase enough food in a month to survive let alone anything else is beyond me. And all this in a high security airport.
A lot of the folks live in 2 bedroom apartments with 16 beds (4 bunk beds per room). The one I was in temporarily even made a bedroom out of the coat closet. You have no idea how bad it is in America these days. These are people making $20k a year in one of the most expensive places to live in the country. I did it because I was cheap ($225 a month everything included but food for a bed instead of buying hotels when commuting) but a lot of the ground crew do it because they must.

I have to imagine a majority of the low wage workers in America live like this judging by my limited experience. After I graduated college I was lucky but I had a lot of friends who lived 3, 4, or 5 to an apartment. My sister does the same, even years after graduation. It's one of the (small) reasons I have tried to completely limit my consumption of Chinese or other foreign goods, and one of the reasons I completely support a progressive income tax. I have to laugh at people wanting everyone to pay a flat tax, when I look at how these people must live compared to how the top XX% live, because we are all buying imported products that only support retail level jobs. It is completely gutting the bottom third or so of the country, and it's just going to keep trickling up till most of the country are working $10-$15/hr jobs no matter what you do.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM

11,920 posts, read 13,267,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
A lot of the folks live in 2 bedroom apartments with 16 beds (4 bunk beds per room). The one I was in temporarily even made a bedroom out of the coat closet. You have no idea how bad it is in America these days. These are people making $20k a year in one of the most expensive places to live in the country. I did it because I was cheap ($225 a month everything included but food for a bed instead of buying hotels when commuting) but a lot of the ground crew do it because they must.

I have to imagine a majority of the low wage workers in America live like this judging by my limited experience. After I graduated college I was lucky but I had a lot of friends who lived 3, 4, or 5 to an apartment. My sister does the same, even years after graduation. It's one of the (small) reasons I have tried to completely limit my consumption of Chinese or other foreign goods, and one of the reasons I completely support a progressive income tax. I have to laugh at people wanting everyone to pay a flat tax, when I look at how these people must live compared to how the top XX% live, because we are all buying imported products that only support retail level jobs. It is completely gutting the bottom third or so of the country, and it's just going to keep trickling up till most of the country are working $10-$15/hr jobs no matter what you do.
Preach on brother. An honest day's work for an honest day's pay was the motto more then a generation ago. Of course, all good things must come to an end it seems. What it boils down to... There is always someone out there hungrier than you. Hunger is a great motivator after all...

To get a decent wage, you've got to be able to do something he cannot. Unfortunately, the boss man doesn't like to teach the youngins new tricks. The more they learn, the more they expect in compensation, and more skills means that youngin may fetch a better wage down the street. Nope, keep him at $10/hr with 50 cent raises every year, except the next 5 years... Ya know, economy is down in the dumps, so pay freeze! I can't tell you how many times I've seen this happen to young folks starting out. There is absolutely no foresight, it's all about living to see another day in business. And yea, there are always illegals who would take a 20K/year job and work it like a 100k/year job. That doesn't help anyone but the boss man.

These kinds of antics are contributing to the declining standard of living in America. Some have not noticed, because they can still fuel their lifestyle along with debt. Those bills gotta get paid though.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:45 PM

11,903 posts, read 14,382,431 times
Perhaps the employer wants someone reliable. If they offer a lowball wage there is a higher possibility that employee will jump for a better offer. In the case of a trucking firm that means the load may be late getting to the customer, but that's business.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:01 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,335,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Preach on brother. An honest day's work for an honest day's pay was the motto more then a generation ago. Of course, all good things must come to an end it seems. What it boils down to... There is always someone out there hungrier than you. Hunger is a great motivator after all...

To get a decent wage, you've got to be able to do something he cannot. Unfortunately, the boss man doesn't like to teach the youngins new tricks. The more they learn, the more they expect in compensation, and more skills means that youngin may fetch a better wage down the street. Nope, keep him at $10/hr with 50 cent raises every year, except the next 5 years... Ya know, economy is down in the dumps, so pay freeze! I can't tell you how many times I've seen this happen to young folks starting out. There is absolutely no foresight, it's all about living to see another day in business. And yea, there are always illegals who would take a 20K/year job and work it like a 100k/year job. That doesn't help anyone but the boss man.

These kinds of antics are contributing to the declining standard of living in America. Some have not noticed, because they can still fuel their lifestyle along with debt. Those bills gotta get paid though.

It's like that in the office world now too. The people that are experienced don't want to hand down their knowledge when it comes to processes and how the business works and so on. The people with more experience and knowledge in the industry don't want any competition when it comes to things like promotions, new jobs, overtime, etc. Information is withheld on purpose all the time and your coworkers will actually let you struggle and have a harder time with your job. I saw this in the finance side of the health insurance industry which is very complex of course. If someone knew the intricate details behind a specific Medicare process then they would try to keep this knowledge to themselves. It's just a horrible country to work in now and corporate America sucks big time. You're better off being a garbage man or getting into some sort of civil service job.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:21 PM

360 posts, read 651,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
An employer might offer a better wage to get better applicants, more to choose from, as well as to keep such employees in an improving economy.
Agreed.

You really do get what you pay for. If you hire lower wage drivers, you'll likely get:
  1. Inexperienced drivers - Which mean higher insurance rates and more accidents
  2. Bad drivers - Who have plenty of tickets and who may lose their CDL's at any time. And that means higher insurance rates
  3. People who will work for you until they find something better - Which means higher turnover costs and eventually the need to pay more to attract drivers.
  4. Damage to your equipment and facilities - Which means higher costs for repair and replacement.

So employers can pay less..but they always end up paying more in other areas than wages for their "frugality."

Old 03-30-2014, 08:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,444 posts, read 50,699,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
Agreed.

You really do get what you pay for. If you hire lower wage drivers, you'll likely get:
  1. Inexperienced drivers - Which mean higher insurance rates and more accidents
  2. Bad drivers - Who have plenty of tickets and who may lose their CDL's at any time. And that means higher insurance rates
  3. People who will work for you until they find something better - Which means higher turnover costs and eventually the need to pay more to attract drivers.
  4. Damage to your equipment and facilities - Which means higher costs for repair and replacement.

So employers can pay less..but they always end up paying more in other areas than wages for their "frugality."
That used to be true. Not any more. Now they can hire experienced, reliable, good people that used to make $20/hour but got laid off and pay them less, even $10 and get plenty of applicants. Supply and demand. Hang around a truck stop some time and talk to the drivers. Even the owner/operators will take whatever work they can get to make their truck payment. The places where the economy is booming are on the coats where it's short distance from port to warehouse and long haul work is still way down. There are more and more husband/wife teams now, so they can drive more hours to make up for the lower pay.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:55 PM

360 posts, read 651,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That used to be true. Not any more. Now they can hire experienced, reliable, good people that used to make $20/hour but got laid off and pay them less, even $10 and get plenty of applicants. Supply and demand. Hang around a truck stop some time and talk to the drivers. Even the owner/operators will take whatever work they can get to make their truck payment. The places where the economy is booming are on the coats where it's short distance from port to warehouse and long haul work is still way down. There are more and more husband/wife teams now, so they can drive more hours to make up for the lower pay.
Not certain where you live, but the newspaper in my town has a page and half of CDL driver ads on Sundays. So do those of both Toledo,OH and Indianapolis which are almost equidistant from my home. They even pay school bus drivers more than $10 per hour. If a driver is taking only $10 per hour he/she isn't looking too hard or he/she isn't that good of a driver.

Around here even factory jobs pay around $10 if you want to stay in the area and get 40 hours. Not much reason risk your CDL if you aren't making that much money.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,444 posts, read 50,699,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
Not certain where you live, but the newspaper in my town has a page and half of CDL driver ads on Sundays. So do those of both Toledo,OH and Indianapolis which are almost equidistant from my home. They even pay school bus drivers more than $10 per hour. If a driver is taking only $10 per hour he/she isn't looking too hard or he/she isn't that good of a driver.

Around here even factory jobs pay around $10 if you want to stay in the area and get 40 hours. Not much reason risk your CDL if you aren't making that much money.
Our substitute school bus drivers start at $21.78/hour, perms get a lot more plus good benefits. Meanwhile, the local truck drivers are complaining that they get the equivalent of just over minimum wages after paying for their gas and truck payments. Our minimum wage is $9.32.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM

249 posts, read 264,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
What will eventully happen is no one will train for these jobs anymore because there will no longer be money in them. This is the starting point of decending into 2nd world. Then the infrastructure that was built on the american know how will crumble and we will decend into 3rd world. We are already seeing 2nd world today in the rust belt but we will not see 3rd world, our kids kids will. They probably will not even know what 1st world is any more other than school if there is even anyone left qualified to teach.

If people want to survive they will have to learn how to farm because the society will no longer support more advanced job functions as it will have all been outsourced and low balled. Of course getting the land to farm will be near impossible so alot of people will die.
a 10 bucks an hour commercial driver today probably sleeps in his truck, he is basically a bum with a car. Might as well move to LA, dumpster dive and sleep on the beach if you ask me. But yeah, it's a job, take it, be proud of it, save money etc, what a bunch of lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or