U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 AM

3,513 posts, read 3,111,206 times

Advertisements

Saw an ad on craigslist with this guy whining about a company offering 10 an hour for a class a driver job. Got me thinking in the back of my head that it makes no sense to pay a reasonable wage when people will take a low wage just to have a job. They arn't going anywhere, and if they did you could easily replace them in this economy.

In his complaint he talks about taking a stand and not settling. How do you say that to someone who would be on the streets next week if they didn't accept anything?

I myself have a set wage and don't look at jobs below it, but I can afford to be picky since I am employed. I don't like his attitude though. Here is his post.

WOW $10/Hr with CDL (http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/lab/2726792305.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:20 PM

13,438 posts, read 15,041,010 times
If they can find a reliable enough driver for $10/hour, then it is a reasonable wage. End of story.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:24 PM

580 posts, read 1,942,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Saw an ad on craigslist with this guy whining about a company offering 10 an hour for a class a driver job. Got me thinking in the back of my head that it makes no sense to pay a reasonable wage when people will take a low wage just to have a job. They arn't going anywhere, and if they did you could easily replace them in this economy.

In his complaint he talks about taking a stand and not settling. How do you say that to someone who would be on the streets next week if they didn't accept anything?

I myself have a set wage and don't look at jobs below it, but I can afford to be picky since I am employed. I don't like his attitude though. Here is his post.

WOW $10/Hr with CDL (http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/lab/2726792305.html - broken link)
Can't say I blame him. His post never mentioned he is not employed so maybe he can afford to be picky too.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:29 PM

3,513 posts, read 3,111,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Can't say I blame him. His post never mentioned he is not employed so maybe he can afford to be picky too.
true. just a bad attitude though i think.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:37 PM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
It's called "getting noticed" which he has succeeded with very well.
The next level is called "getting a foot in the door" anticipating a raise or promotion in short order.

Once on the payroll and has shown to be reliable and productive...
getting raises to what they're worth is easy.

Getting on the payroll is the hard part.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM

5,273 posts, read 8,219,571 times
There was a guy making running commentary on several accounting jobs in the Nashville Craigslist. He always commented on employers ads that were "low ball" offers. I finally contacted this guy and asked him to stop which he did. The reasoning I used with him was that it is far better that these employers are up front about their pay expectations rather than to waste peoples time by NOT posting that they expect an accountant to work for minimum wage.

One of my pet peeves is job postings with no pay range included. I would rather SEE that the job won't pay anything up front so I don't waste my time applying or worse, going to an interview only to find out it isn't a wage I would consider.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM

10,702 posts, read 20,119,835 times
That's not whining that is helping others out. He is informing them that that is a ridiculous wage and if they are interested in doing something like that come to ND where you make 3x-5x as much. Good for him, personally I think he exhibits a good attitude thru the entire post as well.

As someone who also operates machinery and whos profession is also lowballed more often than not "just to get experience", I have seen the "getting on the payroll is the hard part" first hand. It doesn't work out, you are stuck there making crap wages for a long time in jobs like these. Maybe for a white collar job where you can climb the corporate ladder (although after seeing what my wife goes thru with corporate politics I gladly do what I do) it might work but not for labor jobs.

Something to consider, soon America will have Mexican truckers driving throughout the country with the new agreement with Mexico. Those decent $80k-$100k independent jobs that paid middle class wages will be replaced with these $20,000 a year jobs. But as the economy continues to crumble you can only blame yourself when you refuse to buy American products or refuse to support your neighbors making a decent living. Everyone wants to get ahead so they slit each others throats. It's already happening even in white collar jobs, look at what a newly graduated lawyer makes. Maybe $12-$15/hr doing document review simply because there is no demand unless you are the top of the class. This will effect the 99% of America. That's not whining it's called a rant.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 5,126,862 times
What will eventully happen is no one will train for these jobs anymore because there will no longer be money in them. This is the starting point of decending into 2nd world. Then the infrastructure that was built on the american know how will crumble and we will decend into 3rd world. We are already seeing 2nd world today in the rust belt but we will not see 3rd world, our kids kids will. They probably will not even know what 1st world is any more other than school if there is even anyone left qualified to teach.

If people want to survive they will have to learn how to farm because the society will no longer support more advanced job functions as it will have all been outsourced and low balled. Of course getting the land to farm will be near impossible so alot of people will die.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:59 PM

14,365 posts, read 16,282,448 times
If the guy thinks he is worth $15/hr, then why would he take $10/hr. Can't blame him. I will assume he knows the market rate for the position and let's assume the market rate is $15/hr. If it is, then his goal will be to find something paying market rate. If the market rate has fallen, then he will soon realize this and he will then accept a lower rate at some point in the future, or change careers or retire.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:09 PM

10,702 posts, read 20,119,835 times
No where in his rant did he even mention $15...not sure where y'all are getting this from.

Class A drivers make about $20/hr in most parts of the country but in ND looks like they make a lot more, $500/day is +$100k a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or