Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Exactly! I would want employees that want to work for me and not those that have to work for me.
So you only want folks that don't need a job? Instead, you want someone that just wants to work, and to be more specific, they want to work for your company.

How do you really tell the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
So you only want folks that don't need a job? Instead, you want someone that just wants to work, and to be more specific, they want to work for your company.

How do you really tell the difference?

Exactly. People work because they have to, not because they want to.

Look at how many play the Lottery.

Anyone can BS about "wanting" to work for a company, how about hiring someone who is needs a job and is a hard worker.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:29 PM

78 posts, read 313,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Dear frustrated, .

PS, if you can't even answer the question "why do you want to work here?", then you aren't the type of employee we want.
I have hired a lot of folks and i never asked this lame question, it's stupid because we all know the truth. They want to work for you to feed the family. I know it, you know it, we all know it.

Is your company some kind of gods gift to the employes, I don't think so.

And for the applicants that are asked this question, the correct answer is "i want to work to make YOU some money"

Old 12-05-2011, 07:44 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovester View Post
Frustrated, I think it is more like 90% of the employers.

Hemlock, if 4 out of 4 have degrees, how many have you hired that don't? I would be more impressed if you said that at least on of them does not have a degree and was being paid fairly.

The OP is correct, this is what is experienced by many job seekers, just look at the help wanted ads.

There are reasons people get a degree. One of those is to stand out while looking for a job. If experience, attitude and interview are equal, I will choose the person with a degree over the person without.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Dear frustrated,

If you do not like our policies, you are more than welcome to start your own company. No one is forcing you to work for us.

Sincerely, a prospective employer.

PS, if you can't even answer the question "why do you want to work here?", then you aren't the type of employee we want.
This is such a BS question that makes every interviewee want to slap the stupid out of the interviewer.

Not including the top 1% of the population, the trust fund kids, etc... there's only one answer: "Because I need to eat and have a roof over my head." And if you're the type of interviewer who actually believes the BS answer that your interviewee spews... you're not the type of employee the employer wants.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
This is such a BS question that makes every interviewee want to slap the stupid out of the interviewer.

Not including the top 1% of the population, the trust fund kids, etc... there's only one answer: "Because I need to eat and have a roof over my head." And if you're the type of interviewer who actually believes the BS answer that your interviewee spews... you're not the type of employee the employer wants.
its a question designed to see if you even know what the company does and have put thought into how you might fit into this process.

Most people want to work for companies they respect and will fit well with. If you don't even know anything about the company, except for the fact they have a job available why should they choose you? It really shows with regards to your work ethic. If you won't even do 30-45 minutes of homework to understand what the organization does, what they specialize in and how you might be of value to them why should they hire you?

I have no problem with that question at all and I have had it in about every interview I have ever had.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 PM

162 posts, read 886,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
its a question designed to see if you even know what the company does and have put thought into how you might fit into this process.

Most people want to work for companies they respect and will fit well with. If you don't even know anything about the company, except for the fact they have a job available why should they choose you? It really shows with regards to your work ethic. If you won't even do 30-45 minutes of homework to understand what the organization does, what they specialize in and how you might be of value to them why should they hire you?

I have no problem with that question at all and I have had it in about every interview I have ever had.
I'd have to agree. I just had a final interview today. "Why do you want to work for this company?" Because it's a growing industry, you have come through financial hardship, you are doing this and that positive in the community...etc. They are just seeing what you know about the company. You can even ask them back "why did you choose this company and what about the culture has kept you here?"...I like to as the interviewer hard questions as well and spend between 1-2 hours picking out my questions and another 1-2 hours researching the company so when they throw out the questions they can see that I could find a job just anywhere...this is why I am choosing to interview with you.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,773 times
I never said I did not research the companies, or that I was not successful, someone made that generalization, it appears that maybe a couple of you did.

My point was that employers have criteria for hiring people and I have criteria for wanting or not not wanting to work for them and I do not want to work for an employer that in my perception is greedy, lazy, cheap, ignorant, hypocritical or does not have good values.

I finally started answering the question truthfully, Why do you want to work here? I don't.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedjobapplicant View Post
I never said I did not research the companies, or that I was not successful, someone made that generalization, it appears that maybe a couple of you did.

My point was that employers have criteria for hiring people and I have criteria for wanting or not not wanting to work for them and I do not want to work for an employer that in my perception is greedy, lazy, cheap, ignorant, hypocritical or does not have good values.

I finally started answering the question truthfully, Why do you want to work here? I don't.
I would imagine that an employer would not like an employee that is greedy, lazy, cheap, ignorant, hypocritical or does not have good values.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by student_101 View Post
I'd have to agree. I just had a final interview today. "Why do you want to work for this company?" Because it's a growing industry, you have come through financial hardship, you are doing this and that positive in the community...etc. They are just seeing what you know about the company. You can even ask them back "why did you choose this company and what about the culture has kept you here?"...I like to as the interviewer hard questions as well and spend between 1-2 hours picking out my questions and another 1-2 hours researching the company so when they throw out the questions they can see that I could find a job just anywhere...this is why I am choosing to interview with you.
The OP never said don't research the company. Of course you research who you're interviewing with.

A lot to things today have changed, including the lack of basic manners on the side of employers.

One I would to add to the OP's original post is sitting in a conference room waiting to be interviewed and it is clear the person doing the interviewing didn't research you(meaning they didn't spend enough time reviewing your resume)to conduct an intelligent interview.

They kind of "wing" the interview, rather than taking some time prior to the interview to think of questions or jot down notes on the resume.

So you're supposed to know who you're talking to, but it is perfectly OK for the interviewer not to review a resume prior to the interview?

There are also several threads on here by people who have gone on 2 and 3 interviews with same company and don't even get the courtesy of a status, even if it's not what they want to here.

Not that long ago companies either sent out a letter or an email at least telling job candidates whether or not they got the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search