U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:57 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,285,614 times

Advertisements

I've had two jobs post college so far and both employers were not up front about the description of the job I was interviewing for (and eventually took). Why is this such a difficult concept?

I tell you about my skills in as much detail as I can in order to sell myself and you reciprocate. Easy, right? But that has not been the case. I typically get some vague description of the day-to-day duties, but nothing detailed or of much use to my evaluation process. I want to know exactly what I will be doing in this job so that I can make a decision that is right for me. It is not beneficial to either me, the employee, or to the employer if the job description provided is not in depth and accurate or if the employer withholds details about the work environment. Why? Because I will leave when I find out that you fed me a line of bull****.

Is this a common practice or what? If so, come on employers. If you want to retain employees, get with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:08 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,362,608 times
If the job description isn't clear you can always ask for more detailed information.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,390,602 times
This is the reason our final interview question is "do you have any questions for us?" The last person I hired pulled out a written list of questions, good ones that showed real thought and interest, and demonstrated that he had done research on our company. That put him well above the other candidates.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:31 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
Sometimes, the bosses really don't have a clue about the job duties. There is a generic position description of my job, which is not even close to the day to day things I do at work. Which is why some "jobs" take 20 years to learn. I know my job so well, I can do it on auto pilot now. I currently have a trainee, and it is amazing to me how much I know...and am working on training him.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sometimes, the bosses really don't have a clue about the job duties. There is a generic position description of my job, which is not even close to the day to day things I do at work. Which is why some "jobs" take 20 years to learn. I know my job so well, I can do it on auto pilot now. I currently have a trainee, and it is amazing to me how much I know...and am working on training him.
Which surely exemplifies at least partially the point that if one comes out of an interview unsure about what the job actually entails, best course of action is to ask for more specificity. If you're offered the job and remain unsure, then ask before accepting the position.

The OP has been stymied by this problem twice now which, with all due respect, is once too many.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
Maybe the OP is settling into the fact that work sucks. It is a harsh reality for someone fresh out of college. No job is perfect. It has taken me 30 years to find the best job I ever had. And I have probably been luckier than most.

They pay you to go there...

Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I've had two jobs post college so far and both employers were not up front about the description of the job I was interviewing for (and eventually took). Why is this such a difficult concept?

I tell you about my skills in as much detail as I can in order to sell myself and you reciprocate. Easy, right? But that has not been the case. I typically get some vague description of the day-to-day duties, but nothing detailed or of much use to my evaluation process. I want to know exactly what I will be doing in this job so that I can make a decision that is right for me. It is not beneficial to either me, the employee, or to the employer if the job description provided is not in depth and accurate or if the employer withholds details about the work environment. Why? Because I will leave when I find out that you fed me a line of bull****.

Is this a common practice or what? If so, come on employers. If you want to retain employees, get with it.
But most people just can't QUIT when they find out the job wasn't he/she expected so most times you have to deal with it. That has happened to me in 2005 and 2009 and I was not able to leave because i would not have received unemployment. Now if you got another job offer that's fine.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Maybe the OP is settling into the fact that work sucks. It is a harsh reality for someone fresh out of college. No job is perfect. It has taken me 30 years to find the best job I ever had. And I have probably been luckier than most.

They pay you to go there...
Well, that's a generalized negative for sure. Sorry it took you 30 years to find, "the best job I ever had". Over the course of 50 years in the workforce I look back now and can't honestly pick even one that was so incredibly bad that it made any of the rest, "the best". Of course I've had crappy jobs but I can't recall that even the crappiest hasn't taught me something. How dispiriting to hear someone say that it's normal to settle into "the fact that work sucks". You are just so full of joy and optimism that I'm all a-quiver.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
But most people just can't QUIT when they find out the job wasn't he/she expected so most times you have to deal with it. That has happened to me in 2005 and 2009 and I was not able to leave because i would not have received unemployment. Now if you got another job offer that's fine.
Glad to see you popping back in. Mid December almost so how's the prognosis of the agency you work for laying you off at the end of the month? Any latest news?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:07 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Glad to see you popping back in. Mid December almost so how's the prognosis of the agency you work for laying you off at the end of the month? Any latest news?
I will still be employed like I told you 7 weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or