Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:46 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humz View Post
I worked for two different Kumon centers. I had a previous boss say to parents, "Learning isn't supposed to be fun! We at Kumon make your child work hard so they don't have to struggle in the future!"
Nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 04:53 AM

576 posts, read 994,244 times
Perfect example of what corporations do.

I have a neighbor, retired out of the military, not an officer, just rank and file.

He wound up as a cashier at a local retail gas station. Soon, however, promoted to manager of that gas station. But, .. the parent corporation would only allow two part-timers to be hired. This was a gas station that was required to be open from 5:00 AM - 1:00 AM. So this neighbor was working, all the time. He would come home after clean up at 1:00 AM, and then reopen at 5:00 AM, having only had a couple of hours of sleep.

He sat down and did some calculating and figured when all was said and done, he was making just over $3/hour for all the hours he was required to put in. He quit, that day.

Good for him. But I'm sure someone else is now doing that same thing.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:59 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,297,425 times
My current job was the most insulting compensation offer. I got laid off in 2009. When I applying for jobs during that time, I put that my minimum salary was 80% of what I had been making. The market was TERRIBLE at that time, and no one was offering what I had been making. I interviewed for my current job, and when I received the offer a couple weeks later it was another 10% lower - a full 30% paycut from what I had been earning. I said, "I put down that my minimum was $XX," and she said, "Oh, we don't really pay attention to that."

WHAT?!

But at that point I had been unemployed for 11 months and was desperate for full-time work, so I took the job because I really liked the company and the woman who was to be my boss. Fortunately, over the next two years I proved my worth and was able to earn two promotions, substantial raises and some modest bonuses. I'm still not where I was earning in 2009, but I've recovered a fair portion with this job, and my boss is quick to give me the bonuses when I do stand-out work. She knows I'm grossly underpaid for the work I do, and encourages work-life balance to make up for it (one example - she allows me to work from home whenever I want - which no other admin gets to do in our company).

Old 09-17-2014, 06:21 AM

47 posts, read 67,619 times
I drove an hour in the rain to meet with two interviewers who told me there really was no job. They were just interviewing for people to have a pipeline of people to fill their positions. The pay was $10 an hour for a person with a master's degree to tutor English as a Second Language students.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,095 times
A small retailer who has about four stores, and has employees who sit around, and do nothing tried to offer me $12/hr for web development work....

Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
So far our government has masked the true economy by an attempt to "hide" the lack of consumer activity with huge budget deficits. Yank out the 12% we have been borrowing as a nation and we would see an immediate 20 to 30% drop in GDP.

There is no recovery.
Then United States is actually a second world economic power, we just don't know it yet. Give it another 30 years and we will be a new member of the 3rd world economy.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:44 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
My job offer yesterday was probably the worst I have received in awhile. $8.50 hourly, no guarantee of a permanent job after setting up the business, driving 30 minutes each way, the job begins on valentines day. But like a idiot I am still thinking about it because my unemployment completely runs out in Feb.
I was pretty much in the same boat as you, I took a job for $20 an hour with no benefits/holiday/vacation time because my unemployment was due to run out in 8 weeks. Sometimes you have to take what you can get just to get by until something better comes along.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM

303 posts, read 396,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Then United States is actually a second world economic power, we just don't know it yet. Give it another 30 years and we will be a new member of the 3rd world economy.
You... seriously figure that the U.S. is on the same level economically as the former Soviet satellite nations?

Last edited by Selena777; 09-17-2014 at 08:05 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
I was looking into a position with a new division of a different company in my area that only had a guaranteed govt contract for three years. I had two years of experience in the same industry and field so I gave it a shot. They loved me and made me an offer for only 5k more than I was making, but the job would entail far more work and longer hours. I tried to negotiate with them but they insisted that I didn't have THAT much experience. I emphasized that I could literally walk in and already knew the job, it was even the same ERP system and everything. They wouldn't budge so I walked. The cons and risk of changing jobs far outweighed a less than 10% increase in pay, that wasn't even 10% when I factored in the additional 10 hours a week Id have had to put in.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro_me View Post
I drove an hour in the rain to meet with two interviewers who told me there really was no job. They were just interviewing for people to have a pipeline of people to fill their positions. The pay was $10 an hour for a person with a master's degree to tutor English as a Second Language students.
That's actually a typical pay rate for tutors in my area. Tutoring is usually a side job for grad students so your competition is heavy and theyre willing to work for less. I tried tutoring accounting on the side a few years ago but kept having people tell me they could get an accounting tutor at the University for 8 bucks an hour. That wasn't even worth the gas to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search