Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,139,350 times

Advertisements

This past summer I had a real estate office call me for a job opening because they saw my resume on CL. They tell me about the job and set up an interview. I was kind of lukewarm about the job, but still agreed to an interview.

I show up to the interview and learn more about this “job.” The job was photographing properties for their office. The job also entailed photographing and inspecting properties in foreclosure. I was to work off a checklist, it seemed simple enough.

Everything was OK until they go to the compensation part. I was to be paid $3.50 per property for 10-15 high quality photos. There was no additional hourly compensation. There was no company car or even mileage reimbursement for using my own.

When I saw that in the contract I thanked them for their time and left. It was not even worth considering that deal. I don’t know how anyone could make money on that deal driving around the Sacramento metro.

I wish I had saved the email they sent me after the interview. They wanted me to reconsider joining their team and sent the contract as a pdf. I had to fight the urge to send back a sarcastic email.

The people working the counter at McDonald's make more money in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
When I was unemployed I got an offer for $11 an hour with no benefits to be a bookkeeper AND a tax accountant for a small business. They also required an accounting degree (which I have).

I almost died laughing, especially considering that there is a gas station right by my house that pays $12 an hour. No degree or experience required!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
$3.50!!! That's hysterical! I don't think anyone can beat that story.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Sometimes they get what they pay for and it serves them right.

A number of years ago I interviewed for a job requesting $70k.

They came back and offered $45k which was insulting.

They hired someone with a lot less experience for a lot less money.

The guy they hired should not have gone where he went. I have 20 more years experience and I wouldn't go where he went. But he did. He made some real stupid, stupid, stupid decisions on his own treading in an area he had no business being in.

He got a project, signed a contract and secured a performance and payment bond on a project he sold for $300k. As an owner if you get this and you are on the hook... if you don't perform the bonding company can sell you, along with your wife because they will require her to sign a master surety agreement, into slavery in Somalia if they want. This kind of thing can get real ugly making a house foreclosure and bankruptcy look like a picnic.

How bad? They can come into your house and take your personal clothing and possessions out of your closet. That is how bad. One does not default on a bond.

Word on the street is they've sunk $800k into the project and it isn't done yet. From what I know it wouldn't surprise me if the project ends up costing more than a million dollars.

I guarantee the mistake made would not have happened under my watch.

I hope they sit around and gloat over the $25k/year they are saving by not having hired me.

Sometimes they get what they pay for.

Last edited by nicet4; 12-28-2011 at 08:08 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Sometimes they get what they pay for and it serves them right.

A number of years ago I interviewed for a job requesting $70k.

They came back and offered $45k which was insulting.

They hired someone with a lot less experience for a lot less money.

The guy they hired should not have gone where he went. I have 20 more years experience and I wouldn't go where he went. But he did. He made some real stupid, stupid, stupid decisions on his own treading in an area he had no business being in.

He got a project, signed a contract and secured a performance and payment bond on a project he sold for $300k. As an owner if you get this and you are on the hook... if you don't perform the bonding company can sell you, along with your wife because they will require her to sign a master surety agreement, into slavery in Somalia if they want. This kind of thing can get real ugly making a house foreclosure and bankruptcy look like a picnic.

How bad? They can come into your house and take your personal clothing and possessions out of your closet. That is how bad. One does not default on a bond.

Word on the street is they've sunk $800k into the project and it isn't done yet. From what I know it wouldn't surprise me if the project ends up costing more than a million dollars.

I guarantee the mistake made would not have happened under my watch.

I hope they sit around and gloat over the $25k/year they are saving by not having hired me.

Sometimes they get what they pay for.
Youshould send them an email....i'd love to hear their response.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
You should send them an email....i'd love to hear their response.
Nah, it would close off my avenue to know what is going on.

What it came down to was having the ability to read, comprehend and apply something very similar to this.

It isn't the hardest thing there is but it isn't a job for $10 help either when one small mistake can cost seven figures if it isn't caught in the beginning. In my opinion that isn't for $25 help either but I guess they thought it was.

But today some hiring managers are just stupid enough to try it to save a buck. Always comes back to bite em!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:00 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times
$7.25 an hour (minimum wage). As a legal secretary with receptionist duties. (There's also been an ongoing opening for a PARALEGAL in that firm as well - $8.25 an hour, part time). When I was contacted by them to schedule an interview (in response to my resume), it turns out that I had previously interviewed with them six months earlier for that same position! At the time of that interview, the hourly wage wasn't given - they just asked what my salary requirements would be. I received a letter from them a week later, stating another candidate was selected.

I asked what happened to the "other candidate selected" and was told she "didn't work out". I was then told the position was minimum wage (FOR A LEGAL SECRETARY), and I responded that I was presently making that little picking and sorting produce for a local farm.

I guess they didn't like the comment about the farm, because they called back the next day to cancel the interview. Needless to say, this particular firm has an extremely HIGH turnover.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-29-2011 at 02:13 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 03:26 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,031 times
$10 an hour working for a company in CT that manufactures childrens toys, an international company at that. Best line recruiter gave me was it was a great opportunity for an MBA degree like me, and if I do well they would raise me to $12 an hour within 6 months. Are they for real??

I really think corps are taking advantage of this economy because they know they will find candidates settle for much less than they are worth. I am not one of those candidates though. Absurd for the skills they wanted me to have for this position.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Offered 7.75 an hr as a bank teller in Elizabethtown, KY. Other banks were paying $9-10 an hr in the same area for the same work.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Currently employed as a chemist making $20 an hour. Filled out an application for a job listing my current salary. Went to 3 interviews and they offer me $15 an hour (a 25% pay cut). I was livid. I routinely get calls from staffing agencies offering me $12 to $17 an hour no benefits and I routinely decline them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search