Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times

Advertisements

Because the social network sites are public sites, one really can't fault employers for checking them. Wouldn't you if you were the employer? You don't really think all those "privacy" settings are really private,do you? Those who post regular things and nothing blatantly outrageous or incredibly crazy will be fine. Obviously any government employees (city, county, state or Federal) are held to a higher standard. So any teacher, cop, firefighter or say, a particular Senator/Speaker who enjoys posting nude pics of his body parts on Facebook/Twitter is done. Common sense...seriously. Anybody who is dumb enough to badmouth their boss, post their nudity/drunkenness, or anything else that could potentially discredit themselves at their place of employment deserves whatever is coming to them. "You deserve it." "I have no sympathy for you." "You are a major dumb**s." If you can't figure out from observing the atmosphere in your workplace which activities would discredit you there or lead to you losing your job/being demoted, you are even dumber than dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Allow me to add one more thing to the above post. If I go and google your name in a google image search, your pictures in your profile in here are right there for the looking along with any other photos of you which you may have put out there through other social media. So, what you think is on a private profile is actually out there and can trip you up big time. It's quite simple really - I just wonder if anyone who frequently uses these sites can figure out the one common denominator which assists someone in finding things you think are unsearchable or private? Don't you ever wonder how you suddenly see advertising in the oddest places tailored to what you were looking at in another area? Why is it the ads in these threads are for goods and services you've discussed elsewhere on the net or searched for? If I was looking for a new car on the internet I can come in here and there will be an ad in one of those boxes in a thread for car dealerships. That should tell you something.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Allow me to add one more thing to the above post. If I go and google your name in a google image search, your pictures in your profile in here are right there for the looking along with any other photos of you which you may have put out there through other social media. So, what you think is on a private profile is actually out there and can trip you up big time. It's quite simple really - I just wonder if anyone who frequently uses these sites can figure out the one common denominator which assists someone in finding things you think are unsearchable or private? Don't you ever wonder how you suddenly see advertising in the oddest places tailored to what you were looking at in another area? Why is it the ads in these threads are for goods and services you've discussed elsewhere on the net or searched for? If I was looking for a new car on the internet I can come in here and there will be an ad in one of those boxes in a thread for car dealerships. That should tell you something.
You sound like you have stalking potential

Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You sound like you have stalking potential
Nope, but your own computer stalks you - figure it out. Your computer use is not private at all no matter what name you use because the computer isn't stalking your activity by name it's stalking you with something else and you probably have never seen it or had use to see it...care to guess what it is?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:40 PM

78 posts, read 376,923 times
Quote:
Nope, but your own computer stalks you - figure it out. Your computer use is not private at all no matter what name you use because the computer isn't stalking your activity by name it's stalking you with something else and you probably have never seen it or had use to see it...care to guess what it is?
ip address most likely

Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottMAN98405cc View Post
ip address most likely
tracking cookies saved on your pc. run virus scan to clean them out. they come back again quickly. the tracking cookies track the web sites you use and then advertisements pop up that match your recent activity.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottMAN98405cc View Post
ip address most likely
Congratulations we have a winner!!! Everything you do on a computer is tracked and stored then trasnmitted via your ISP serve code numbers assigned to you. You could have 4 or 5 sub accounts with different email addresses and name assigned to them, but the ISP code remains the same. It's how adminstrators in sites like these discover you have more than one account. It's how your activities are identified by advertisers. In the ad boxes in these threads would say something when I look at it and show you something completely different tailored to each individual. Marketing products are following every thing you do which is why you see things which are only in your area or state It's 'big brother' with a GPS device. You, yourself, have absolutely no use for this code number assiigned to you - but it's there.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:08 PM

78 posts, read 376,923 times
Quote:
Congratulations we have a winner!!! Everything you do on a computer is tracked and stored then trasnmitted via your ISP serve code numbers assigned to you. You could have 4 or 5 sub accounts with different email addresses and name assigned to them, but the ISP code remains the same. It's how adminstrators in sites like these discover you have more than one account. It's how your activities are identified by advertisers. In the ad boxes in these threads would say something when I look at it and show you something completely different tailored to each individual. Marketing products are following every thing you do which is why you see things which are only in your area or state It's 'big brother' with a GPS device. You, yourself, have absolutely no use for this code number assiigned to you - but it's there.
and thats how website use geolocation to know what state/city your from by doing a lookup on your ip address without providing anything

Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I periodically Google myself and am never shocked or displeased about what comes up. My Facebook page is locked down tight to friends only, I do not friend current coworkers, and I never use my real name when blogging or posting on forums. Sorry, but that's how I roll. My real name is too distinctive for me to argue that it's a different person with the same name.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
tattoos and facebook both are fun cool and done on the spur of the moment, but are permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search