Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 15,478 times

Advertisements

Hello, i've only had one job since highschool. I was let go from this job for tardiness some months ago. I am confident though that if i use former supervisors as job related references that they would do me justice. I was a very productive and well mannered worker. The problem is i never bothered to ask anyone for there name/number to use as a reference before i left. I never encountered a job asking for work related references before, so i was unaware of this practice, otherwise i would have gathered some references before i left. I thought to use the yellow pages to track down some of my former bosses and ask to use them as references, but i cant for the life of me think of there full names. I remember first names, or in some cases only there last name. I recently got into contact, through facebook, with an old friend who currently works at my old job. I asked him if he could ask some of the supervisors if i could use them as references. He told me to contact the head of human resources and gave me his #. He told me to ask him for the name and numbers of 3 supervisors. He sounded pretty confident that he would help me. I am worried though that he will just end up telling me he cant give this information, or i need there full name in order for him to divulge there number/work extension number to me. I have anxiety problems and this is definitely making me very anxious and worried. I do not know how to approach this phone call and how i should ask for this information. I was thinking something along the lines of "Hello i am *my full name* i used to work at *employer name* I have an interview coming up soon and i need to provide 3 work related references. I was wondering if you could get me into contact with 3 of my former supervisors so that i could ask for there permission to use them as a reference?" Or should i go about it in a different manner? I have a lot of anxiety about this phone call i will be making tomorrow and it would rest my nerves if i had some professional advice on how to start this conversation, and any advice you can offer on this general topic would help rest my nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Probably all HR will say is that anyone who wants a reference for you needs to contact HR directly. In my experience many companies discourage management from giving references and try to steer former employees to HR (due to liability reasons). However, in my experience most managers quietly ignore this. And all HR will do is confirm the time period you worked at the company. That's a reference but not a very helpful one!

You need to get in touch with those supervisors directly and unless you have an unusually nice HR rep, I doubt they'll be of much help. If you remember first or last names, that should be good enough to get you in contact with these people. For example, if you remember one's name is Jill and another was Mr. Smith, call the company and ask to speak with Jill. Specify what department she is in, if necessary and if you remember it (ex. Jill in bookkeeping). Then when you get her on the line, talk to her and see if she'll serve as a reference for you. If so, ask her how to spell her last name, and there you go. Then call back and ask to speak with Mr. Smith. If he agrees to serve as a reference, thank him and just ask him what his first name is.

Best of luck! Be on time at your next job!

Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 15,478 times
I thank you very much for your advice. Now i have even more anxiety though Should i still try asking the head of HR, whom i was directed to?

I worked in a warehouse setting and the supervisors had an office near the dock inside of the warehouse. I beleive they had phones at cubicles, and i think a couple of them had there own small office. But if i only knew there first or last name i doubt the receptionist would be able to connect me through to one of them because it was a very large workplace with many people. I think there is one person whom i remember his first/and last name so perhaps i will be able to get through to him. If they did connect me through most likely someone completely different would pick up the phone and then page the person i asked for via the intercom and ask them to come to the office. I imagine at some point someone will also ask who i am before i ever get into contact with the person i am intending to reach, and if so, what should i tell them? If i do manage to get through to someone, after i ask an obtain permission to use them as a contact, should i ask them to hand the phone to another supervisor? So i can also ask them also? This all sounds very challenging, and very underhanded, im worried i will only cause more trouble for myself. However, i cannot get this job i am trying to get without 3 work references. I am really in a pickle. Is there any other advice you could offer me? Or anyone else?

Old 01-08-2012, 04:18 PM

200 posts, read 505,090 times
By threatening to post photos of the company Christmas party on Facebook if they don't give you a favorable reference.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
If I am asked for a reference by someone that was not a good worker or was let go for cause, including tardiness, I will refer the caller to HR. HR will simply verify the dates they worked there, and if asked why the person left, would say that they do not give that out. To a potential employer that is often considered negative. If a really good employee leaves under positive terms, say, for a better paying job elsewhere, or family reasons to relocate, I will go ahead and handle the call myself and give them a good, but honest reference. If you are not sure the supervisors will give you a good reference call them first and ask, before giving out their names/phone numbers. If you have to give HR for the reference, it may not help much other than to verify dates, but at least it won't hurt you as much as a former supervisor telling them that you had trouble getting in on time.

Work related references may also include former co-workers, if you can think of the names of people you worked with that could give you a good review that could help. Even customers could be used. It won't help to tell them you cannot remember the names of the supervisors, especially if the new job involves remembering names.

Anxiety and worrying about it will not help, you have to try hard to convince yourself that if you are the best person you will get it, if not, this reference thing won't matter anyway. Then prepare well for the interview,
research the job and company and impress them with your knowledge of their business and how excited you are about an opportunity to work there.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
The large company I worked for did not permit any references except from HR. All they gave out was time w/company, title and salary.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,678 times
We are in need of ESL Teachers and Interns for China. This is year round recruitment program to fill up vacancies for September and February term. At present we need 500-700 ESL teachers and/or Interns from native English native and European countries. Level of students from KG to Adults. For more information visit this: [url]http://www.intesoltesoltraining.com[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search