Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I haven't seen that. It's the number of applicants, and the high percentage of them being well qualified and out of work.

When you get 100+ applicants and 25 look great on paper you have to interview more to ensure that you are getting the best one.
I disagree. I can wade through 500 resumes (the average I get for a lot of the positions we post) and narrow it to 8-10 I want to perform a phone interview with, and then narrow that to 1-2 I want to actually bring in.

I hate wasting time, and in my opinion, interviewing 25 people is a complete waste of time.

By the way, I haven't made a bad hire yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

I hate wasting time, and in my opinion, interviewing 25 people is a complete waste of time.
Now this I can agree on.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I haven't seen that. It's the number of applicants, and the high percentage of them being well qualified and out of work.

When you get 100+ applicants and 25 look great on paper you have to interview more to ensure that you are getting the best one.

Another factor in the time delay is the verification process. Many more have 20+ years experience and it's hard to get a hold of their references who may have retired, plus, the companies used to verify education and do background checks are swamped, since many more companies are doing this now than ever before to screen out potential problems.
You just validated my post.

There is no reason to be bringing in 25 people to interview, the norm used to 4 or 5.

What happens when you interview 25 people is that they start to blend together.

I know of a case where a job offer was given to the wrong woman. They had seen so many people and two of the women had very similar names. That they got them mixed up.

You're not casting for a remake of "Gone With The Wind" where you have to auditon every actress in town.

Things are made much more complicated than they need be, and I really believe in many cases it is an HR person justifying their own job.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:07 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Things are made much more complicated than they need be, and I really believe in many cases it is an HR person justifying their own job.
Agreed.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:26 PM

488 posts, read 554,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
A few months ago I interviewed for an entry level position with a major publicly traded insurance company. My experience in the process was OK, but I was surprised how many people I was passed off to.

The initial recruiter
The person who gave me the assessment testing
The person who did my background
The person who gave the first phone interview
The other person who gave the second phone interview
The three people during the panel interview
The longest process I ever had was for an entry level job that paid just above what you might get at a retail gig. It was a very simple desk job that involved some data entry and answering phones. It required you to fill out an application with full details about your education (including high school), work history, specific knowledge and skills, etc. Then it required you to submit a resume that had the same exact information. After I submitted those I was invited to take a typing, applications, and job specific essay test which took almost two hours. After I passed the tests with excelent results, according to them, I was invited for a first interview. The first interview ended up being two hours of "tell me about a time when" questions. After I passed that I had a second interview which was three hours of pretty much all "tell me about a time when" questions. After I passed that I took a physical. After I passed that the hiring manager began a background check. They contacted previous supervisors, requested training documents, etc. I got great references from previous supervisors. However, they found something in one of my training documents they didn't like and decided I wasn't a good fit for the position. I'm not sure what it was exactly, and they wouldn't elaborate. I have no documented disciplinary issues so it remains a mystery to me. It pissed me off at the time to have gone through a ridiculous amount of hoops for such a low level job only to be rejected for some, more than likely nitpicky, reason. Over time I realized, though, that I was probably dealing with some very nitpicky micromanagers and I would have hated working for them. I recall the position was reposted and remained up for three months before it was taken down. Hopefully the person they hired can stand the environment!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
A few months ago I interviewed for an entry level position with a major publicly traded insurance company. My experience in the process was OK, but I was surprised how many people I was passed off to.

The initial recruiter
The person who gave me the assessment testing
The person who did my background
The person who gave the first phone interview
The other person who gave the second phone interview
The three people during the panel interview

This is not exactly new. Even when I was applying for corporate level positions about 10-11 years ago, it was not unusual to have a two phone interviews, and an in-person interview where it was usually a panel and or 1-on-1 interviews with a several people.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 PM

89 posts, read 240,175 times
Quote:
Wade through 500 resumes, 200 are discarded immediately because they don't include a cover letter, even though my ad specifically states the requirement for one.
if you were my employee, i'd fire you. as the boss i would want the best employee. discarding 200 resumes for something as meaningless as not including a cover letter would not fly with me. the predictable silly leap of logic of "well, if they didn't include a cover letter then they can't follow directions" would make me question your intelligence even further and solidify the faith i had in my decision to terminate.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:56 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Wade through 500 resumes, 200 are discarded immediately because they don't include a cover letter, even though my ad specifically states the requirement for one. Another 200 are discarded because they don't meet even the minimum requirements for the position.
Part of the problem is people get desperate and start applying for anything and everything. After a while you hear them lament "I applied for 650 jobs and nobody even called me back."

It's expired now but a while back there was this job advertized in Las Vegas, containing very specific requirements, and I wonder how many applications they had to wade through to find a useable one?

Quote:
No, but we do look to see if they have a Facebook profile. Had one guy we decided not to hire because he had White Supremacist stuff all over his page.
Sometimes it amazes me to see what some people put up on the web for public viewing by anyone and everyone. Are they stupid or what?

From the time you are 16 years old never put anything on the internet you don't want the entire world to see, including your future wife and children, 20 years from now.

Would it really upset you to see what you wrote on your tombstone? If it would maybe you shouldn't put it out there for all to see.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
I went through several interviews with Company A and all went extremely well. They were about to make an offer but at the last minute a mid-level mgr in the company decided to drag the interview process out by a few more weeks by adding yet another interview to the mix.

In the mean time, I got an offer from Company B and took that offer.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
What did they expect go get from another interview that they didn't get from the first? The only thing worse than a BS job interview is multiple BS interviews that have no correlation to the ability to do the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search