Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,695,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
B.Sc in physics and mathematics, M.Sc in nuclear physics. I don't expect to find a job in my field and would be content working at a fast food restaurant and working my way up from there.
You could probably get a job at a nuclear plant or in the Navy on a nuclear powered ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 PM

377 posts, read 617,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
You could probably get a job at a nuclear plant or in the Navy on a nuclear powered ship.
If it were that easy, I'd have a job by now. Practically all nuclear related jobs in industry require a nuclear engineering degree. Nuclear physicists need not apply, and our resumes are trashed by a computer program most of the time before they are even seen by a human.

For the past 2 years on most days I'd spend 2-4 hours throughout the day just sending out resumes, with the only response being automated letters that I've been denied for the position.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,885,062 times
To your original point, by all means, do not show tremendous amounts of education for minimum wage jobs.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
From an employers perspective...

It wouldn't bother me if you omitted your education for a position that obviously didn't require it.

However, if I saw that your previous positions would obviously have required college education, I'd be more concerned that you were highly over qualified for the unskilled labor position and would likely pass you over.

Why?

Because it's been my experience that highly over-qualified people aren't content workers. They either find excuses to not perform tasks that they think are beneath them, or leave a few weeks after you spend the time to train them, or have problems meshing with their co-workers because the co-workers see them as having a superiority complex (whether it's justified or not.)

Now I'm not saying this applies to you, or many others, but once (or many times) bitten, twice shy.

I'd rather offer the guy with a GED and experience in the field the $10/hour general labor job. He's going to stick around, that's what he's used to making, and frankly he already knows a lot of things I'd have to get the guy with the PhD trained in. When one of our mechanics asks him to use the forklift or pallet jack to move a pallet, he knows how to operate the equipment and do so safely. He's got no problem cleaning the bathrooms, and already knows how long he's got to leave the speedy-dry on the hydraulic fluid spill before he sweeps it up to make sure he gets it all. He's got no problem working in the non-climate controlled warehouse when it's 100 degrees out, and doesn't mind getting grease on his jacket.

Same thing for fast food. I'd rather hire the person with experience in working a busy counter or grill, who is already serv-safe certified, and who is used to working in a fast paced environment and dealing with John Q Public.

That said, I would consider you for something not quite in your field. Teaching for example. You would be over-qualified to substitute teach junior high science and math, but I'd still hire you for that without thinking twice. Of course that would require you to disclose at least your BS.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,133,800 times
You need to change your approach in job searching/applying. Easier said than done, but those are good degrees and you should be able to find something better than minimum wage! Can your career centers help you at all? As for the original question, go ahead and leave it off. Its perfectly acceptable to tailor your resume to the position you're applying to- thats what you should be doing for each position.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 AM

484 posts, read 966,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
What? I have an MS in physics and teach. I can command a good salary and have good students. Have you considered this route? (I am not certified). You can teach at an independent school, charter, or private. It does help to have experience and many community colleges will hire you but pay you next to nothing which will give you experience.
Let me clarify: as an adjunct at a CC, you wont make much and it is generally hard to get a full time position unless you "know" someone.

I meant teach at the secondary level. If you teach in an AP program the content is essentially what you teach at a CC anyway with generally better students.

I have interviewed countless physics teachers out there and there are not many that know the content, can listen to students, and be personable all at the same time.

Look on CL in your area for this, or at least part time tutoring.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 AM

39 posts, read 156,256 times
Default Education jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Hi, I've been searching for any form of employment for more than 2 years now. I've been applying to numerous minimum wage positions, and I've followed up with employers who say the only reason they wouldn't hire me is because I'm "overqualified". Would it be wrong to remove my degrees from my resume when applying for these types of jobs? It isn't like I'm claiming to have degrees that I do not, I'm just omitting information that isn't relevant to the job. Would this be grounds for dismissal if the employer eventually finds out about my education?
Astute, have ever considered teaching science in middle school or high school? Obviously, you will have to complete the teaching credential program if you want to teach in public schools...

Have you ever considered taking a substitute teaching job as a "survival job"?
I have worked as a substitute teacher for many years...

Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,028,068 times
If you remove your degrees, will that leave you with a 6 year gap on your employment history? You would probably be better off making something up if you want to work in fast food.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 AM

147 posts, read 313,380 times
You know there's something terribly wrong with society when a nuclear physicist can't get a job at a time when we're desperate for alternative energy.

If you're like the millions of us and are just sending resumes from behind a computer, you aren't going to have much luck. I get that you're trying to start from the bottom, but shouldn't you be more focused on getting entry level work (doesn't seem like you care what kind of work) rather than specifically minimum-wage jobs?

As for teaching, it really depends on where you are. Some places have hiring freezes. Other places are impossible to get in. Might wanna take a crack at organizations like Teach for America if you're going this route.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 PM

377 posts, read 617,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
You need to change your approach in job searching/applying. Easier said than done, but those are good degrees and you should be able to find something better than minimum wage! Can your career centers help you at all? As for the original question, go ahead and leave it off. Its perfectly acceptable to tailor your resume to the position you're applying to- thats what you should be doing for each position.
That is what everyone assumes. My family is so shocked that I am the only one unemployed, while others in my family who graduated with BA's work in the newspaper and finance industries. The first thing I did was use my career center to make my resume. Unfortunately, most technical jobs in industry require an engineering degree and physics and math is seen as useless by most employers. Of course, this is based on my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search