Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Why do you keep writing these long winded lectures on this board about how the way you do things or your company does things are universal truths?

It is because workaholic isn't traveling anymore on the weekends and became an outcast if you know what I am saying. Oh, and then after he or she was an outcast, he or she became stranded and lonely until the ship rescued him or her. Happy you got rescued.

You have to read to OPs previous posts to know what I am talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 04:29 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Even in a company that has such a gate keeping system, there is still value in trying to go through the hiring manager, even if it is in paralell with submitting online. At some point they are reading the resumes, if you have talked to them and they are familiar with you, it is going to help and maybe they spend an extra minute on your or they make sure to look for it.

And as mentioned many companies are not this way.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
The only way I'll take a resume other than by someone following my instructions for applying is if it comes through someone I know.

If I have a job posted and you try to go around me to one of my partners, the resume will go in the trash--of course unless you know my partner and they are forwarding the resume of someone they think might be a good fit for the job.

I've hired several people whose resumes landed in my "IN" box through someone in my network, either a friend, an associate, or a colleague.

I'm happy to have someone I know forward a resume to me. But just trying to sidestep me because you (incorrectly) think someone else in our company is the decision maker? It's going to just **** us off because you're wasting our time.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
It is because workaholic isn't traveling anymore on the weekends and became an outcast if you know what I am saying. Oh, and then after he or she was an outcast, he or she became stranded and lonely until the ship rescued him or her. Happy you got rescued.

You have to read to OPs previous posts to know what I am talking about.
kodaka knows very well as do most of those who regularly contribute to CD forums. His "one thread-starter, one response and run" game is so predictable. Yawn.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
pretty much all employers, business or job owners, hiring-managers, are selfish, greedy people, that do not care about the consumer or their employees, only their money

Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
They all knew what they were doing and they were all for very specific jobs where it was the work that spoke for my gender and skin color. I simply was not interviewed by anyone in HR except for the going through the motions one where someone from HR sat in on the interview but said nothing. It was the Director's decisions ultimately not HR. You may have some general advice but it is not gospel and reckless to think you have come up with the last word on hiring tactics. I also have subcontracted work and know that Government departments have an amount they are allowed to spend on services without approval every year and it doesn't have to go to HR or Purchasing. There are so many things available over, under and above the standard HR route. All I'm saying is it's not your way or the highway.
i agree. lots of people get hired by word of mouth or networking, not the internet application. you must submit one online but that is not necessarily how they really get hired.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-29-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 02:44 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Usually HR will get angry at applicants who tried to work around them and will lose their applications.
LOL who cares?

Quote:
Also, Human Resources will not issue a formal offer letter for any applicant who did not apply online through our system. If a manager tries to hire someone who does not apply online Human Resources will not approve the hiring and will not allow the person to be paid.

So, unless it is a small company, be a big boy and apply for jobs through Human Resources just like everyone else!
I work for one of the largest pharmaceutical companies on the planet. Ime, most hires come to us via networking, so there is no online app. Rather, our HR paper pushers provide a paper app for the background check and then do what they're paid for (data entry, background checks, etc).

Old 01-29-2012, 03:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Many job hunting books will tell you to do everything possible to go around those idiots in Human Resources and contact the hiring manager first if you are interested in a job opening. So if you are an Accountant then you should contact the Accounting Manager, if you are in sales, contact the Marketing Director, etc.

Lots of applicants try this and fail! Corporate procedure at most mid sized or large companies is ALL APPLICANTS must apply on line through the formal system administered by Human Resources. Even if you are the best friend of the hiring manager, the company will not accept your application and let you proceed through the process unless you apply on line.

Many times a hiring manager would get a paper resume through the mail or an email who got his or her name and contact information through research and the manager will go to Human Resources and ask them to bring the applicant into the company for interviews and tests. Company procedures will not allow us to do so unless the applicant goes on line and applies through the formal process.

Usually HR will get angry at applicants who tried to work around them and will lose their applications.

Also, Human Resources will not issue a formal offer letter for any applicant who did not apply online through our system. If a manager tries to hire someone who does not apply online Human Resources will not approve the hiring and will not allow the person to be paid.

So, unless it is a small company, be a big boy and apply for jobs through Human Resources just like everyone else!
It really depends. While I do believe eventually everyone has to go into the system if you have the support of someone very senior you're usually golden. I secured my internship through an alumnus at my school who was the Chief Accounting Officer at a major Fortune 500 company.

I had to interview with one of his managers and HR but it was pretty much a formality. I actually thought I could blow it somehow but the HR lady was like well if you have the Chief Accounting Officer vouching for you, you really have nothing to worry about.

My current company works closer to what you are describing. My recent promotion. The job had to be posted for 5 days minimum and every qualified internal applicant had to be interviewed. Even though my bosses had already decided on me. It was really a waste of time for all concerned.

Now my compensation is becoming an issue as I feel it is too low compared to market. So now I must do battle with HR and hope they come back with something more appropriate or start looking for better paying job.

HR is a mixed bag for me. On one hand I find some of their policies idiotic especially the ones at my company in regards to compensation. They seem really fixated on years of experience in regards to compensation when I feel a more holistic approach should be used (ie. skills, aptitude to learn new skills, level of contribution to team, manager feedback, education etc.).

Yet when I brought my compensation concern they asked for my research and I believe they are truly looking into it resolving the matter amicably.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:04 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Many job hunting books will tell you to do everything possible to go around those idiots in Human Resources and contact the hiring manager first if you are interested in a job opening. So if you are an Accountant then you should contact the Accounting Manager, if you are in sales, contact the Marketing Director, etc.

Lots of applicants try this and fail! Corporate procedure at most mid sized or large companies is ALL APPLICANTS must apply on line through the formal system administered by Human Resources. Even if you are the best friend of the hiring manager, the company will not accept your application and let you proceed through the process unless you apply on line.

Many times a hiring manager would get a paper resume through the mail or an email who got his or her name and contact information through research and the manager will go to Human Resources and ask them to bring the applicant into the company for interviews and tests. Company procedures will not allow us to do so unless the applicant goes on line and applies through the formal process.

that's probably true for corporate America but when I applied for and received my second and current teaching position I simply sent my resume to the building principal and was hired by him directly. The District's HR was not even in the picture except for obviously filling out payroll and benefits forms, etc.....

In fact in education you're better off NOT applying through HR as HR positions at district offices are normally staffed by people who have 2 years or less remaining before retirement and barely do a decent enough job of keeping the job board updated if need be.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I'm sorry but I find HR fairly useless. They don't even know how to match applicants to positions.

To wit: I got a call for an ASSOCIATE Product Manager position at a large company.

I have 15+ years experience (actually it's 20), an MBA, industry experience and someone looks at my resume and thinks "junior level" person? Associate PM's need 3 yrs experience, max. I was, at one time, a Director level PM manager.

I don't get it. I really don't. What compels a human resource professional working for the company full time, to approach a candidate with a position 2 to 3 levels below their expertise? And this company has higher level positions open. I did a phone screen with a different HR person at the company about 10 days ago for a Product Manager position, which is 1 level higher than Associate, and that person came to understand I was more senior level than that position. Now an even lower level position is suggested?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search