Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,619 times

Advertisements

to let me know whether I got the job or not, if some of you remember me, i'm unemployed again unfortuneately, I most recently was employed at Target but sadly it was only a seasonal job, seasonal employment only, i was let go from it, Human Resources at Target told me it was all a Business Decision, that it was nothing personal, my last date of employment there was December 17th 2011, i was only employed there for about a month and a half, my Orientation was on October 25th 2011 and my first day of working there was Halloween of Last Year. I had perfect attendence there, I was always on time, I was never late, but unfortuneately i was not given the option to stay, i feel i had a great work ethic there, i wasn't the only one that was released, let go, but luckily for 2 other people that were members of my orientation, they were given the choice, option to stay, and one of them it was her first job in retail as well, because Target was my first ever retail job.
Anyway, i've been looking for a new job since then, and so far I've only gotten 1 interview since leaving Target on December 17th, 2011, which is this year so far. Because I read on the News that Home Depot plans to hire 70,000 people Nation-Wide for Seasonal, eventhough I would prefer a Permanent, Full-Time Job, I will take a seasonal job because of this crappy, ****ty economy, and gain more experience since i have limited employment experience. So my Job Interview at Home Depot was last week on the 19th, it was with the Assistant-Manager, after the Interview he told me by the beginning of next week, Home Depot would give me a call to let me know if I got the job or not, and still no notification yet. So anyone on here ever worked at Home Depot before or know anyone that has? is this normal? can they take longer than a week to get back to you?

Last edited by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople; 01-25-2012 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 02:21 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,751 times
I did a brief stint at Home Depot. It was during what I consider to be the darkest period of my life......

To answer your question, it took awhile to get hired on. Usually they do a phone interview and then someone from the actual store where they need help will contact you for another interview. It took about a month in my case.

In this economy, ANY job is better than no job, but, I hope you are able to find something better sooner than later. Home Depot is an OK place holder while you look for something better, but working there sucks.....

Sorry, there just isn't any other way to put it........

Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
I did a brief stint at Home Depot. It was during what I consider to be the darkest period of my life......

To answer your question, it took awhile to get hired on. Usually they do a phone interview and then someone from the actual store where they need help will contact you for another interview. It took about a month in my case.

In this economy, ANY job is better than no job, but, I hope you are able to find something better sooner than later. Home Depot is an OK place holder while you look for something better, but working there sucks.....

Sorry, there just isn't any other way to put it........
Yeah i dressed very fancy to the Interview, I wore a suit and suit, i felt relaxed and confident, Home Depot already called me for the Phone Screening Interview, then another Phone Call in which they Scheduled an Interview for Me, already took care of that, already had the Interview but not response back from them since then, I called them back yesterday but the Assistant Manager and the person in charge of doing the Hiring were at a Meeting, I just hate getting teased, lead on like this.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:27 PM

Do you think I should take the hint that they are not interested? that I did not get the job?

Old 01-25-2012, 03:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Well the fact that you worked at Target should help you. I wouldn't call again at this point.

If your comfortable with doing this go into the Home Depot dressed in a nice shirt/ pair of khakis in the early afternoon on a weekday and ask to speak to the Asst. Manager. You can say you were just following up on your interview.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If your comfortable with doing this go into the Home Depot dressed in a nice shirt/ pair of khakis in the early afternoon on a weekday and ask to speak to the Asst. Manager. You can say you were just following up on your interview.
Good advice. I'd do this instead of calling. Chances of getting their attention on the phone is slim.

Plus, going in person is an opportunity to show them what you look like in casual clothes.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,972 times
Going in to see the Assistant Manager? I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Seems kind of stalkerish, plus he/she may be too busy.

If you are going to be hired, they will call.

In the meantime, spend the time filling out applications at other retailers. Good Luck.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Going in to see the Assistant Manager? I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Seems kind of stalkerish, plus he/she may be too busy.

If you are going to be hired, they will call.

In the meantime, spend the time filling out applications at other retailers. Good Luck.

He is trying to get a job, not asking for a date. Nothing "stalkerish" in following up, especially for this type of job.

Showing a little extra incentive is how you get jobs like this.

Hopes, yes seeing how he looks in casual clothes will help, it also shows you really want the job by stopping by.

In this economy you have to set yourself apart from others.

Just try and do it in the early afternoon on a weekday when the store is less busy and they have time to talk to you.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Give it until next week.

Folks often say they will do something by a certain day...and often they get busy and do it days or weeks later. Even if he chooses to hire you, he has to get approval from someone else(most likely) and then get the offer info to you, such as job title, offer money, your hours, start date, etc. Who knows how long the other folks are taking to get all that info together.

Good luck. I thought HP was hiring mostly part-timers these days.

FYI...there are multiple assistant managers at each HD. You never know which one will be working if you go there.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well the fact that you worked at Target should help you. I wouldn't call again at this point.

i already had my job interview at Home Depot, now i'm just impatiently waiting to hear back whether I got hired or not, this is my first interview of the new year so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search