Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM

173 posts, read 352,066 times

Advertisements

A majority of you are best known for disliking the fact that most companies require you to apply online. Well, I have five possible reasons why they do so.

1. They don't want anyone disrupting work - This is the top reason why they don't do paper applications anymore. When an applicant goes to a restaurant and ask for a paper application, it is probably disrupting their work. Apparently, going in and asking the employees for a paper application is like going into a classroom and asking the teacher for a pencil. If they did it online, they wouldn't have to take 5 seconds to get a paper application. It is also to prevent the employees from having to take a long time finding the applications.

2. Assessments that needs to be done - Paper Applications can't usually have assessments that needs to be neat, well-written, and assessed properly because of the fact that you use a writing essential. Assessments are needed because they help the employer evalute you and your personal skills involving work. I believe assessments need to be done on the computer because of evaluation reasons.

3. Employers don't want anyone to lose the application - Paper Applications have a high chance of getting lost, stolen, ripped, or slobbed on because of real-life situations. Do you see any of these issues being encountered on an online application? It makes sure you and your employer knows where the application is and not scrambled anywhere in the building.

4. Most employers don't want to run out of applications - One of the most important things is that you don't want to go to Mcdonalds only to get told that the employer doesn't have paper applications. That means you have wasted your gas, your time, and several moments of your life trying to get a paper application. It is impossible to run out of online applications. But I doubt any of you want to go to any restaurant only to get told they ran out of paper applications.

5. Applicants need to be aware of required information on the application - The main problem with paper applications is that there is no symbol to tell you what information is required in order to submit the application. So there is a possibility that you didn't see the part where you have to fill in your education or even your signature. Online Applications shows you every field required in order to submit the application. It also rejects your application if you do not meet the minimum qualifications.

See? There are probably reasons why companies switched to online applications. There are more probably more reasons, but these are the only reasons I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 PM

410 posts, read 1,518,166 times
This could/should be fun...

1. Applying online allows the computer to pre-screen employees which cuts down on people calling everyday and whining about not hearing thing from the company.

2. Applying online makes it easier for companies to be more selective in positions---require X number of skills will automatically reject anyone without X number of skills

3. Applying online makes it easier to fill resume back stock of desperate people who are actually looking for work.

4. Applying online makes it easier to weed out the "undesirables" who are honest on personality tests

5. Applying online makes humans obsolete (at least in the recruiting sense). HR can focus on administrative rather than recruiting duties.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,105,710 times
6. It saves room in the trash cans.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 PM

143 posts, read 377,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
This could/should be fun...

4. Applying online makes it easier to weed out the "undesirables" who are honest on personality tests
It's pretty easy to tell if someone isn't honest on a personality test. Most of them even have built in ways to identify this.

Regards to opener: It also allows them to show proof that they are conforming to government laws regarding hiring practices.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:44 PM

410 posts, read 1,518,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEnterprises View Post
It's pretty easy to tell if someone isn't honest on a personality test. Most of them even have built in ways to identify this.
Many tests are programmed to "fail" anyone who doesn't answer 'strongly agree' or 'strongly disagree' to everything....how honest can that be?

If you are honest and select agree, disagree or neutral then it gets red flagged.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,665,382 times
because they're lazy

Old 01-28-2012, 11:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Personality tests are a joke.

I love the questions related to stealing.

I was in loss prevention when I was in college.

Of course I know all about stealing!

But I can't answer those questions honestly or I wouldn't get called for an interview.

Since everyone has to lie on a personality test, HR wants people who can portray what they want.

It's just like an interview. You lie through your teeth. It's all about proving to them that you know what they want.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:20 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,802,215 times
They could be audited by the EEOC, and they better have good records. Especially if they do government work.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 AM

188 posts, read 413,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEnterprises View Post

Regards to opener: It also allows them to show proof that they are conforming to government laws regarding hiring practices.
One problem I run into on personality tests is that I am honest, but at the same time, look like I am contradicting myself.

I am someone who likes to meet new people (so I will say agree), but then I am not the type of person who will start conversations with people I do not really know. So they probably flag this saying I am not being honest and trying to play sides.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,993,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Many tests are programmed to "fail" anyone who doesn't answer 'strongly agree' or 'strongly disagree' to everything....how honest can that be?

If you are honest and select agree, disagree or neutral then it gets red flagged.
If this is true, then this could be why I haven't received any callbacks at all from the jobs I've applied for online. Sheesh! I'm too honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search