Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,379 times

Advertisements

You do not want to discuss salary requirements before an offer if produced. You can try but its best to let them bring it up first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
You do not want to discuss salary requirements before an offer if produced. You can try but its best to let them bring it up first.
This is what I always thought.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Pay is negotiable.

Before you reject an offer, always counter-offer with what you will accept. Often they will increase their offer if you are an excellent fit for the position.

Here is how you negotiate if you are trying to get more money, even if the original pay is acceptable.

Company: "We want to offer you the position, the starting salary is $50k year..."

Applicant: " I am excited about the opportunity. Can you increase the starting salary to $58k?. I would be a productive employee from day 1 and I know I can improve your sales numbers immediately".

Figure: 10% of employees negotiate their starting salaries higher. Employers are ready and willing to negotiate the salaries but most peope don't attempt this.

****Key Negotiating Tactic: NEVER SAY "I WON"T ACCEPT IT AT THAT PAY RATE". Instead, ask "can you make it $15?" If they say that they cannot, you want to leave the door open so that you can accept the lower salary if you choose.

It is very common to tell then you are excited about the opportunity but want to consider the offer overnight and you will respond to them the next day. The next day you can come back with the counter offer if you choose.

I have successfully negotiated a higher salary several times. I also got 2 extra weeks paid vacation every year through negotiation. I learned this negotiation method through career placement training.
I so wish this would have worked for my current job.

I went for an interview on a Wednesday. No pay was listed in the job ad and I didn't ask (was always told not to). The following Tuesday, I got an offer for much less than I'd hoped. The next day, I asked if they could raise it a little and gave a figure. The following day I heard that they cannot and that they were at their cap. I accepted seeing as how I was facing unemployment again.

And here I am 18 months later, no raises in sight and kinda stuck.

But I will try this tactic the next time.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i agree. but if u r excessively focused on the pay and benefits and show little or no interest in the job, this speaks volumns to the employer.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Whoever mentions money first deals from a position of weakness. That's how it is in most negotiations, whether they are for jobs, new clients, or what have you. During interviews, I never asked, and instead focused my questions on the requirements of the job so that I could sell my ability to meet those requirements. Likewise, when I pitch to new clients, I tell them what I can do for them. If they ask me what I charge, I ask them what their budget is so I can tell them what their money will buy.

However, more and more HR people mention salary in their initial screening. They will either announce the range or they will ask what candidates are looking for. I see no problem with that. If you're within 10K of each other, they'll often proceed. If it's more than that, usually both parties won't be able to meet in the middle and discussion ends there. But also, if they toss it out first and say, "This is what the position pays," you have a good idea of what kind of company they are, whether they are flexible, how aggressive they are toward their employees, or even if they're having trouble filling the position. If it's low for your field, it's a sign they might have been looking for a while--which you can use to your advantage. They might be willing to cough up more to get someone talented in there so they can stop committing time and resources to a search that has been fruitless.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 PM

173 posts, read 353,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i agree. but if u r excessively focused on the pay and benefits and show little or no interest in the job, this speaks volumns to the employer.
According to this post, employers seem to think that employees are so desperate for money that they don't want to hire anyone whose 'cheap' or just want the money.

I can guarantee you that if you are going to hire someone, they are expecting good pay. Unless it's some small entry level position like a bagger at Pick N Save or a Grocery Stocker, everyone is going to want good pay.

I'm not talking about the $6.25 an hour crap because that is below the minimum wage, and anything below minimum wage is, in my opinion, not worth working for.

There is a reason why people want money more than anything else, because they'll do anything to get it. So why reject an interview when that is the main focus? You can reject it if the candidate is way TOO worried about being paid, but there is no problem asking ONCE.

That's like going to your teacher and asking how you are graded on your history assignment and getting an F because of that.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I would never waste my time going to an interview unless I knew the position was within my salary range. Why is it so taboo to ask? Answer: It's not. Hiring managers don't want to waste their time either.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:42 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I would never waste my time going to an interview unless I knew the position was within my salary range. Why is it so taboo to ask? Answer: It's not. Hiring managers don't want to waste their time either.
I agree, I always knew the salary range before I went to a interview and never ever applied to an ad where the salary was not listed.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I agree, I always knew the salary range before I went to a interview and never ever applied to an ad where the salary was not listed.
And look where you are now - back on the dole again. Absolute rigidity and total inflexibility does nothing for anyone where the employment search is concerned.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:06 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
I want to know at least a range before I go to an interview. There's no point in wasting both my time and their time for a job that I'm not going to take due to salary. If the interview is being done through a third party recruiter this is a hard and fast rule; I'm not wasting my time until the recruiter gives a range. This is because recruiters IME have no qualms about wasting your and their client's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search