U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,666,509 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I think this is probably my first time posting in this forum.

Here's my situation: I am moving to Raleigh, NC from NY in June of this year. I am only 19 years old with one semester of college under my belt. I have been an internet marketer for 5 years now and I have decided that sitting in front of the computer all day really isn't healthy for me, even though I do make good money (enough to live off of).

I'm not looking for the grandest job, but my problem comes with the resume...

How do I go about writing a resume that somehow states that I am looking to obtain a job before I move to Raleigh, NC? This will be my first time ever making a resume and sending it to employers; I've never needed to hold a job but now I want to.

Thanks to everyone in advance,
JC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM

441 posts, read 1,132,436 times
Maybe clarify this as you said you were moving in June: are you only moving if you find a job or are you moving to start school or going with family? It is very difficult to make something happen before you go there, unless you have a line on companies that do video conference interviews. Because most times people want you there in person, with a commitment to the area. I suggest just do a resume and then figure out if you need this part.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,758,083 times
Address that issue in the cover letter. "While currently residing in XYZ, it is my desire to secure employment in ABC area prior to moving to the area in (insert approximate dates here)."

Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
Maybe clarify this as you said you were moving in June: are you only moving if you find a job or are you moving to start school or going with family? It is very difficult to make something happen before you go there, unless you have a line on companies that do video conference interviews. Because most times people want you there in person, with a commitment to the area. I suggest just do a resume and then figure out if you need this part.
I am moving by myself. I don't know anyone there or where the jobs even are really. I've been relying on Indeed.com to get leads. Don't some employers do phone interviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Address that issue in the cover letter. "While currently residing in XYZ, it is my desire to secure employment in ABC area prior to moving to the area in (insert approximate dates here)."
Thanks! This is probably what I'll have to end up doing. Do you think I'll have a decent shot at getting a call back?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Thanks! This is probably what I'll have to end up doing. Do you think I'll have a decent shot at getting a call back?
As good a chance as anyone else given what you want to do and the experience needed for the job.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
As good a chance as anyone else given what you want to do and the experience needed for the job.
And the availability of the local labor pool.

I don't look past my local labor pool until I've exhausted it. And that's never happened. (The only exception was a sales position where I wanted someone with feet on the ground in their sales area.)

Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,059,884 times
i doubt you'd have much luck. can you do what you're doing now when you get to raleigh for a little while until you get a job? without a local address your resume is not going to be taken seriously, esp with the job market the way it is in raleigh now. you could also find an apartment complex you like in raleigh and list their address as your address now. or a friends address in raleigh if you have friends there? i wanted to live in raleigh, too, but i struggled to find a job there with a durham address and a duke degree so i can't imagine you'd have an easy time lol. i found one more easily elsewhere

Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i doubt you'd have much luck. can you do what you're doing now when you get to raleigh for a little while until you get a job? without a local address your resume is not going to be taken seriously, esp with the job market the way it is in raleigh now. you could also find an apartment complex you like in raleigh and list their address as your address now. or a friends address in raleigh if you have friends there? i wanted to live in raleigh, too, but i struggled to find a job there with a durham address and a duke degree so i can't imagine you'd have an easy time lol. i found one more easily elsewhere
I can do internet marketing from anywhere that has internet, so maybe I will have to do move first and then find a job.

How come everyone in NY says that North Carolina and Raleigh especially is booming with jobs when everyone from NC says there are no jobs there? Are they trying to keep us NYers in NY?

And if you struggled finding a job with a Duke degree and I have no degree, I should probably just forget about it. May I ask where you ended up landing a job?

Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,059,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I can do internet marketing from anywhere that has internet, so maybe I will have to do move first and then find a job.

How come everyone in NY says that North Carolina and Raleigh especially is booming with jobs when everyone from NC says there are no jobs there? Are they trying to keep us NYers in NY?

And if you struggled finding a job with a Duke degree and I have no degree, I should probably just forget about it. May I ask where you ended up landing a job?
if you can pay the bills with it in ny it seems like a great idea to keep doing it here. you probably want to move on for other reasons too, though

in richmond. i'm sure the field is relevant as well. you and i would probably be looking at totally different jobs so its not a fair comparison. regardless, job-wise things are kinda sucky all over in the triangle area. my boyfriend did not have any luck there, either. i hope things improve because i want to move back at some point

Old 02-04-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
if you can pay the bills with it in ny it seems like a great idea to keep doing it here. you probably want to move on for other reasons too, though

in richmond. i'm sure the field is relevant as well. you and i would probably be looking at totally different jobs so its not a fair comparison. regardless, job-wise things are kinda sucky all over in the triangle area. my boyfriend did not have any luck there, either. i hope things improve because i want to move back at some point
I will keep doing what I do now down in NC but it's always good to get out of the house.

Is the job situation better in Richmond? The only southern states I've ever been to are Maryland and Florida, so I don't even know what Virginia's like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or